Weight Loss & Dieting Community

70 Pounds Overweight-HELP!

I have been 70 pounds overweight for 2 years now. I am miserable. I am lethargic, unmotivated, depressed, anti-social, achey, lazy, homebody, and tired. Totally opposite of what I used to be. Having child #5 totally did my body in. I need to loose this weight, I've GOT too. But I don't even know where to start??? Would walking 5 minutes a day for 2 weeks, be a start? Then work my way up slowly? I eat for comfort, so I've got to fix that too. Any suggestions would be great!
You've taken a good first step!  Welcome to our little Community.  We've all been where you are, and most of us are still "works in progress".  

The first step is to recognize and define the problem.  Next will be to make a decision that you are ready to take action!  Many people have the desire to lose weight, but a decision needs to be made, and a commitment to healthy living planned.

5 children!  I can't even begin to wrap my head around what your life must be like!  Loving chaos!

As I usually tell people, don't make exercise plans that you don't enjoy, and don't intend to keep up for a long time.  If you like to walk, and the kiddos enjoy it, walking is a great place to start!  No equipment necessary, beyond good shoes.  
Instead of 5 minutes a day, could you increase the time to 20-30 minutes, 3 or 4 times a week?  If you can swing that sort of time, you might see more results.

Couple this with some easy changes in your diet.  If you're a frequent fast food eater, try eliminating it or cutting it down to once a week.   Keep a food journal--are you getting 2-3 servings of low fat or fat free dairy a day?  At least 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day?  Enough protein?  Complex carbs?

If you are just beginning, make a simple plan with just a few easy changes and substitutions to start out with.  If you make an initial plan that you can commit too for a while, the success you'll have will motivate you to dig deeper and make more changes.

I lost nearly 50 pounds in 6 months or so with Weight Watchers.  I was never a "joiner", but this program has certainly changed my life.  I eat everyday food, with some changes to keep myself on a healthy track.  WW also helps you focus on other issues, such as emotional eating, motivation problems, and handling difficult situations that can lead to unwise choices.

Whatever you choose to do, the number one thing is to be sure its livable FOR YOU.  And enjoyable.  

Check out the Healthy Cooking Community for some good, low fat and healthy recipes.  Please feel free to add some of your own!  Its a growing community, and we LOVE new eats to try!

Welcome.  Post often!
Does anyone else feel horrible being overweight? I mean HORRIBLE daily?
Well...to be honest, if you focus and allow yourself to feel horrible, every day, it will be counterproductive to your efforts.

Yes, I  felt badly when I finally recognized and acknowledged how I had let my body and health go.  But then I buckled down and got into gear to begin a new life.  

Look forward, not behind.  Obstacles are what you trip over, when you take your eyes off your goal.

Feeling horrible is usually the motivator to make some changes-  but like Peekawho said - don't dwell on the negative feeling -  think on and focus on the positive of changing your size and shape and how you feel about yourself :)
Thanks you 2...........I'm *trying* to ignore the negative feelings both physically and mentally..........it's a constant effort for me to focus on the positive!
Hi Katie ~

You've already made BIG steps in making changes ... you're acknowledged the need to make changes, joined this lovely support site and reached out for advice and friendship!  YEAAHHHH YOUUUUU!!!!!  Give yourself a Big Huggg!!!  We're thrilled you are here!  

Here's a few things I can think of off the top of my head to get started.

1.  Make a list of what you will gain if you lose the weight and what it will cost you if you do not.  It can help you to view that list when you are making food choices as it allows you to make a conscious choice.  Helps us to be responsible for our choices as well.

2.  Clean out your cupboards - get rid of the food that you pig out on and that is not healthy.

3.  Know your numbers - Do you know the number of calories to maintain your weight?  If not, will be happy to help you but will need your age, height, weight, and activity level.  

4.  Keep a food journal and write down everything you eat, the amounts and the calorie content.  Also keep track of your emotions by each meal.  In short order, it will allow you to see a correlation between overeating and an emotion or two.  This will help in developing a plan to do better the next time.

5.  Stay involved in this community for support and advice.  Keep in touch; we'll be glad to answer questions and help you.

6.  Implement some type of exercise ... anything that will get you moving.  There are so many different things to do now that the variety is amazing and you can try things you've never even thought of before.  Try a bunch of them and, as Peek suggested, find something you like.  

When I first started, I could only do 5 minutes of exercise.  Each day I vowed to do just a little more than the day before.  Pretty soon you'll be amazed at how much you can do.  

7.  Read positive success stories & positive affirmations and here's a story that helped me.

ONE evening, and old Cherokee told his grandson about the eternal battle that goes on inside people.

He said, “My boy, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.”

“One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego.”

“The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, tolerance, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The boy thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee replied, “The one you feed.”

Here's a quote that helped me as well ... it challenged my abilities ... Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be? Nelson Mandela

Finally ... a dear friend gave me these words ... BELIEVE even when it is not rational and good things WILL happen ...

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It is our dream no one has a right to prevent us from reaching it, least of all us.

Eliminate the language that allows for excuse

- Not if, but when,
- Not try, but will
- Not hope,but belief

then it will not be a dream, it will be a reality.....live into it!

Please keep in touch.  We'd love to be of assistance and share in your journey.  And, remember, never, never, ever given up!

(((Supportive HHUGGSSSS!!!)))
Ranae

PS - You don't have to implement everything at once ... start with one, do it and then move to the next.  Here to help ... :]

Hey girl....5 kids?!!!!  OMG, how on earth do you get anything done (smile).

I have struggled with weight issues for a while now.  I have tried just about everything under the sun...from fad diets, to diet pills, to mlm weight loss miracles, to Weight Watcher (3 times) ! (big smile).

They all worked.  It was me that couldn't stick with them because they just didn't fit my lifestyle.  I had to find something that fit me.

I dabbled with Atkins about a month ago....lost weight.  Got to feeling sorry for myself and went right back to eating everything!  Then, each day I just felt worse than the day before.  A few days ago I had a Carb filled day...then that night I had the worse headache, tired, sluggish, etc.  I had to literally go lay down!

I do have Hypothyroidism so that contributes also, but I am on meds.

Anyway, it was that night that I realized how much better I felt when I was controlling my Carbs.  So yesterday I decided it was time to take the bull by the horns and just do controlled carbs.  Today, I feel much better already....it's just amazing.

If you have never tried controlled Carbs, you might want to think about it.  Just another avenue for you to look at.  

I won't say that it's easy, but I will say it works for me.  You're welcome to pm me if you want more information.  I'd be glad to share with you a site that helps along with a book.

Much success to you in your journey!

Deadra
Hello Deadra ~ It is always a pleasure to meet someone new; thank you for sharing your journey and your experiences.  We are all unique and have gathered a great deal of knowledge in our journeys towards a healthier lifestyle and it takes great courage and compassion to share them with others ~ thank you.  

With all due respect, and the utmost regard for your opinion, I hope you will allow me to share my experience, make a few observations and provide some food for thought.  Please know that I am doing so because I care and because it is my sincere intent to help ~ I'm not trying to be arbitrary.  It is my heartfelt concern for both you and Katie that I share this ...

We have shared similar journeys with trying this diet and that, but I am concerned when you say "They all worked.  It was me that couldn't stick with them because they just didn't fit my lifestyle.  I had to find something that fit me."

The truth is that "diets" do not work.  The very name "diet" implies a beginning and an end to a way of living.  When we "begin" a diet, we are leaving our normal eating patterns behind and beginning a way of eating that ~ if it worked ~ would sustain us for a lifetime.  Since most "diets" deprive us of something and are so foreign to our normal eating pattern, it is inevitable that we the fall off a diet, which signifies that we are not able to continue with the "diet regimen" and there is a return to our normal eating pattern.  When this happens, it is usually accompanied by feelings of failure, anger, sadness and depression.  These feelings are counter-productive and is another reason I believe that diets do not work.

Controlling carbs has worked for some people, but am wondering if it is the right path for you as well.  When I see you report "I dabbled with Atkins about a month ago....lost weight.  Got to feeling sorry for myself and went right back to eating everything!" and then see "So yesterday I decided it was time to take the bull by the horns and just do controlled carbs.", ... (trying to say this right and not hurt your feelings ~ just trying to help in providing you another option) ... I'm questioning if this brief period of time, falling off of it and then returning to it yesterday, can be considered success and a change that can be maintained for a lifestyle.  

Losing weight is as much a mental process in as it is determination.  In making reasonable goals and implementing small changes, we are able to keep them and begin to incorporate them into a new and sustainable lifestyle.  Changing our minds to throw out the concept of "dieting" helps.  Realizing that we will stumble and learning how to get up, forgive ourselves ~ as we are not perfect ~, finding a lesson from each fall, devising a new plan to avoid the same pitfall the next time and being steadfast in continuing to develop new habits is what will lead to our success.

Until I changed my thought process and embraced a long-term lifestyle change that incorporated lean meats, complex carbohydrates in moderation, fresh fruits and vegetables and some low-fat dairy products, I yo-yo'd my way to 330 lbs.  Since adopting these changes, learning how to be kind to myself, surrounding myself with positive motivation and engaging in a support community ~ such as this ~ I have lost 147 pounds over the past 25 months.

I truly wish you all the best and much success with whatever you choose; just wanted to offer these thoughts for your consideration.  If your current plan works for you, then I am thrilled.  Please remember that I am here and willing to help if needed and/or wanted.

Most caringly ...
Ranae
Thank you for your concern and I do appreciate your thoughts.

We do need to change our thoughts about "diet".  I often use it interchangeably with  way of eating and I shouldn't...old habits die hard (smile).

It is true tho, all the changes I've ever made actually worked.  I just didn't make the changes for the right reasons, didn't make changes that I could live with or stick with.  I do believe that is a major factor in living a healthier lifestyle.

Actually I have dabbled with different ways of eating for a long time.  Just never found anything that I could or even wanted to stick with long term.

I like the Atkins way of eating because I am teaching myself new healthier habits - which I never had before.  I'm eating more veggies than I ever have.  Now that's a major accomplishment!  Plus, once I'm out of Induction and move into Phase 2, I'll be incorporating even more veggies, fruit, nuts, dairy, etc.  For me, this way of eating has structure which is something I need.

I love the fact that I get to find out what foods work for me and which don't.  I also love that fact that I'm not hungry.  I'm getting enough calories, fat, protein and carbs to get my body back to a healthier me.

We all have to find what fits our needs and wants.  I'm proud you found something you can live with and Congrats on the weight loss!!

Deadra
I agree. We all have to find what fits our needs and our wants.

What works for one person may not work for another.
What's is most wonderful ... is the caring and supportive nature in which we can share what works and what doesn't ... and the knowledge we've each gained and genuinely and tenderly share with each other.  Thank you!!!

Sounds like our underlying beliefs are very similar and I'm most anxious to hear of your continued success!  

Very best wishes ...
Ranae
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello.  Congrats on your successes, and please do post often.  

Its great to hear about other healthy paths to the same end result.  I've lost my weight entirely via the Core plan of Weight Watchers, which may share some similarities with what you are doing.  What I love about it is no counting!  Its an experience to learn what to eat, but more importantly, why you should eat it.

And when to stop eating it!

Anyway, please do come back and let us know how you are doing.  I love to hear success stories!