Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Had a baby 3 months ago and want to get back into shape

I had my beautiful baby girl 3 months ago and before I got pregnant I was right around 218 and before I delivered i was 257 and right now I am 235 so I want to get down to 175 that feels like a healthy weight for me.. I was wondering if I can do it with just exercise I will eat sensibly but I find if I diet i just end up gaining weight from the weekly over indulgents.. what exercises do you all suggest for a women who had a baby 3 months ago...
Congrats on your new addition : )

When I had my son I started with pailates. It is a nice non impact,it tones you up. Also I use to do tae bo.   It helped. I am sure that your body is still on the rebound from delivering so dont be impatient with yourself. I suggest measuring also in addition with keeping track of your weight because you may one time loose the inches and not the pounds.  Keep up with your balanced diet. indulgents, we all do it. I have bought the yoplait light good flavored yougurts and diet pudding, but sometimes I have desert too, just I will have half of something that I was wanting.

~Red
Wow! Congrats!

Getting back into shape is every woman's wish after a child birth.
I think since you are wanting to do this and have the desire to look your best, you sure can do it.

Eating healthy and exercising are the key..And particpating on an online froum and checking in with yuor friends here will surely help you alot.

Just wanting to ask, if you have been exercsing before you got pregnant?

----More information on losing weight after pregnancy----------- Source : Online.
Hope you find this information useful - Loosk for the exercsie tips!

It is both normal and healthy to gain weight during pregnancy. This ensures that both you and your baby are adequately nourished. Weight loss after pregnancy may sometimes be slow and some new mothers can find this initially frustrating. It's very important not to start on a crash diet immediately after you have had your baby. This will lead to health problems and possible post partum depression. Even after pregnancy your body still needs vital nutrients to recuperate and even more so if you are breast feeding. Breastfeeding mothers typically expend an extra 500 calories each day. So don't be tempted to rush things.

Losing Weight Safely -

Your doctor will probably recommend that you avoid strenuous exercise or activity until you have had your six week post partum check up. In fact, until this point in time it is likely that you will not feel much like exercising vigorously. During this initial recovery period walking is a wonderful form of exercise that will not only help improve your health and help you lose weight, but also clear your mind and keep post partum depression at bay.

Starting Out

* Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Foods high in fibre - such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains - provide you with many important nutrients while helping you feel full longer. Other nutrient-rich choices include low-fat dairy products, such as skimmed milk, yoghurt and low-fat cheeses. White meat poultry, most fish, beans, and lean cuts of beef and pork are good sources of protein, as well as zinc, iron and B vitamins.

* Avoid temptation. Surround yourself with foods that are good for you. If junk food poses too much temptation, keep it out of the house.

* Eat smaller portions. Don't skip meals or limit your intake of fruits and vegetables. You'll miss vital nutrients. Instead, scale back your portions of higher calorie foods.

* Eat only when you're hungry. If you're anxious or nervous or if you simply think it's time to eat, distract yourself. Take your baby for a walk, call a friend or read a favourite magazine. When You're Ready

* If you're breast-feeding, feed your baby right before you exercise. Wear a supportive bra and comfortable clothing. lStart slowly. Begin with light aerobic activity, such as walking, stationary cycling or swimming. Avoid jumping and jerky, bouncy or jarring motions.

* Break it up. Exercise in short sessions throughout the day. As your stamina improves, gradually increase the length and intensity of your workouts.

* Include your baby. Take your baby for a daily walk in a stroller or baby carrier. If you prefer to jog, use a jogging stroller designed for infants. Lay your baby next to you while you stretch on the floor. Hold him or her in your arms and dance to your favourite music.

* Target your abs. Losing abdominal fat takes dietary changes and aerobic exercise, but abdominal crunches and other abdominal exercises can help tone your abdominal muscles.

* Remember your Kegels. These exercises won't help you lose weight, but they will tone your pelvic floor muscles. Simply tighten your pelvic muscles as if you're stopping your stream of urine. Try it for five seconds at a time, four or five times in a row. You can do Kegels while standing, sitting or lying down - even while breast-feeding your baby.

I didn't really have time to exercise before my daughter I was working two full time jobs and going to school so i barely had time to sleep.. but i work at a very physically demanding job and probably walk 4 to 5 miles a night at my job ( due to going back and forth and such)
Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.  We're all here to help you and you've received some excellent advice already.  

You may want to try swimming or bicycling as well .. fairly low impact but does a body good.  Would also like to suggest you not "diet" or think of it in those terms and remember, you're not saying you can "never" have something .. you're simply saying not today OR I will substitute "this" with a similar flavor, texture or crunch OR I will have "this" and institute intuitive eating ... where you eat only a few bites of something and put or throw the rest away realizing your craving it satisfied and you didn't undo your progress.  It involves a change in our thought process.  While I can implement intuitive eating now, I couldn't when I first began my journey because I was too addicted to food at that point.  

Hope you'll join us here as an active participant ... it's much more fun and a lot easier with friends and in numbers.  

((Hugs))
Ranae