Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Losing weight, exercise, and food

I am 5'3, 18 and I weigh 120 pounds....I really need to lose ten pounds but it is so hard.....I run and stuff but i can not lose weight I am frusterated. i try my best to eat heathy but its hard.........I am putting a picture on here because my mom thinks I should not lose weight but it is my body....I know my BMI says I am average but that does not mean anything I am upset with how I look I am depressed. All my friends are skinnier than me even my sisters..........Does anyone have healthy advice???????????
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but your mother is right -- you don't need to lose weight.  I copied a small section of a height/weight that pertains to you - as follows:

Height                      Small Frame            Medium Frame                 Large Frame
5'3"                             111-124                  121-135                            131-147

The photo in your other post doesn't look like you have a particularly small frame, but even if you do, you'd still be a proper weight.  

You said "I run and stuff but i can not lose weight I am frusterated. i try my best to eat heathy but its hard........."   What "stuff" do you do for exercise besides running?  Have you tried work out videos or anything like that?  There's one that I might strongly suggest checking into.  It's called "The Biggest Loser - Yoga for Weight Loss" -- yes, it's yoga, but I guarantee it will kick your butt.........Yoga is an excellent form of exercise for someone in your situation because you aren't over weight or fat at all, you just may need to strengthen and tone your muscles......

Your friends being "skinnier than you" -- means nothing.  Maybe they are taller than you or smaller boned or their metabolism is different from yours.  My advice to you is to get a wide variety of moderate exercise and eat plenty of lean meats, low fat/no fat dairy, fruits, veggies, fiber, etc in sensible portions.  

I know it's important to look good and when we look good, we have a lot more self confidence, but being "skinny" is not equivalent to looking good.  I've seen some girls your age who have literally starved themselves and no matter what they do from there on out, it's going to be hard for them to look good and feel good -- not to mention the ill effects on their body.............

All that being said --- the absolute most important advice I can give is to love yourself enough to have faith in yourself for who you are, not just what you look like.  You will only ever have the one body --- please, take care of it to the best of your ability.  

You are a beautiful girl -- enjoy your youth and take care of yourself........

I have tried workout videos but I always find them tedious. I do 5 pound weights. I know that anorexia is bad I used to suffer from it. That is something I do not want. Yoga hmmm.....I will look into it. Thanks for the advice
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, anorexia is bad -- although I was never "formally" diagnosed with it, I used to have it; I'd go for days without eating barely a mouthful and no matter how little I weighed (was down to 75 at one point), I felt like I was "fat".  I attribute some of my current health issues to that period of my life.  

I am currently over weight due to thyroid issues, and yes, I look fat and hate it.  I strive to lose, but I have come to know what is realistic for me and my age.  With my years, I've also learned that my looks are not the only thing that give me self confidence and self esteem.  I'm a good person in my own right - caring, intelligent, etc - regardless of what my body may look like.  The bottom line is that we all have to learn to love ourselves for WHO we are.  I believe that once we accept ourselves as we are, it's easier to change those things that need to be changed.  

Yes, yoga -- I got the dvd I mentioned above at Wal Mart for $10.  Once you learn the routines, you can turn off the sound of the dvd and listen to your own music if you prefer.  The dvd has different levels -- you work on level 1 for weeks 1 and 2, level 2 for weeks 3 and 4, then level 3 for weeks 5 and 6, then you can rotate them around however you choose.  Yoga is great for strengthening your core muscles and will help stretch all of your muscles and make them longer and you will look leaner.  It's also very relaxing if done right...........as you can tell, I very heartily recommend it.......

Best of luck and please do keep posting with us to let us know how you are doing.