Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Need Help Losing Weight

I am 20 years old, and I weigh about 198 lbs. My goal weight is 145 lbs. Approximately when and how can I achieve my goal weight? P.S. Since I am in college, exercise is almost near to being impossible because I am really busy in school.

Hi!
The ideal aim should be to lose about half kg per week or two kg in a month. Some can effortlessly lose about 3 kg in a month. Too fast weight loss can cause rebound weight gain. Also, it can cause other problems such as loose skin, flabs at unwanted places etc. Apart from losing weight, you need to tone up the body. A combination of aerobic, strength training and stretches works best. Many people find it difficult to fit an exercise regimen into their lives. The best way is to join a nutrition expert and a physical trainer (or a gym) and follow their advice. Incorporating yoga into this regimen takes stress out of this exercise to lose weight. Also the diet should contain more of green leafy vegetables, fruits and protein and less of spaghetti, potato etc.  I suggest you eat frequent small meals and stop counting calories. It is best to eat lots of fruits and non-starchy green veggies, go slow on fats, eat carbohydrates in moderation and increase your protein intake (lean cuts, whites of eggs etc). Drink plenty of water and non fattening fluids such as clear soups etc. Look for hidden calories in salads and soups and avoid them (eg: cheese, butter, dressings etc).

First determine the number of calories you need to consume per day. You have to first calculate your basal metabolic rate depending on your lifestyle. There are many BMR calculators available on line. While they are not 100% accurate, they give you a rough idea regarding the number of calories required to maintain your basal metabolic functions. Eating more calories than this can cause weight gain. If you want to lose weight then you need to consume lesser calories than required for the basal metabolic functions. Also, since you can’t cut down calories drastically, you need to exercise to burn some calories. So if the net calorie consumption is less than need for basal metabolic function and burning of calories is reasonably good, you will start losing weight. You can get many charts online which show you how many calories you burn with a particular exercise. You can use this as rough guideline to help you with an exercise regimen that does not tire you out. These online sites also help you choose from a wide array of food items to build up your calorie need. You have to make a conscious effort to eat 3-4 small well planned meals spread throughout the day. This helps you burn calories better.

If you lead a busy life, then walk to work, or to bus stand etc, climb stairs instead of using lifts, walk while talking on cell phone, or briskly walk to any place you are going to. See how you can change your lifestyle to incorporate exercise. Buddy system also helps. You can find a friend either in neighbourhood or online with similar weight loss targets. Thereafter you can either exercise together, or discuss recipes, exchange notes and generally motivate each other. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.