Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Post pregnancy weight

Before I got pregnant I was 56kg during pregnancy I got up to 78 kg.  Unfortunately I lost my little girl due to complications. Now my focus is on getting back to a healthy weight. I am 5,2 ft and 69kg and have lost 9 kgs in the last 12 weeks I really had hoped I would have lost a lot more. I run for 1 hour every day, do weights and zumba. I do eat very healthily and watch my calorie intake, I am wondering now if I should cut out or cut down on the carbs I eat. I have heard that cutting out carbs is not good for the body in the long term so I am not sure what to do.
My motivation is slowly disappearing because I feel like I am not succeeding.  HELP
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm very sorry for the loss of your little girl.  9 kg is 19.8 pounds, which is a significant loss over a 12 week period, since it's recommended that safe weight loss is 1 to 2 pounds/week.  

I've never been an advocate of cutting a complete food (carbs) group from the diet unless there's a specific health reason to do so, because that often can't be maintained over the long haul.  However, it's important to watch the type of carbs you are eating.  

There are 2 types of carbs, simple and complex.  Simple carbs are those found in refined sugar, flour, white rice, etc.  This is the sugar in pastries, candies and other treats and should be avoided, as it enters the blood stream quickly and spikes the blood sugar; after a short time, the blood sugar drops, causing you to feel hungry again.  This often results in a vicious cycle.  

Complex carbs are those found in veggies, whole grains, brown rice, etc.  These carbs take longer for the body to break down, so they keep blood sugar at a more even level, for longer periods.  Fill your plate mostly with vegetable, opting for fresh or frozen, over canned, whenever possible.  

Also, make sure you get plenty of lean protein, which, will also keep you feeling fuller long.

It sounds like you are doing quite well with your weight loss; keep up the good work.