Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Short Girls - Healthy Weight Goals

Hi!  Just looking for fellow short ladies (preferably close to my age - 46) who have a certain goal weight in mind.  I am currently 127 and recently lost 15 lbs on the HCG diet.  I was 117 about 3 years ago and would like to at least lose about 7 more in the future.  Just curious about those of us who are 4'11" - 5'2" and what your goals are.
Shorter women will need to aim for a lower weight than taller women, it means shorter women need to exercise and eat less more than taller women do. Commit to regular exercise to help you get in shape and reach your fitness goals. To lose or gain weight, adjust your daily caloric intake according to your ideal body weight.

Step 1
Determine what your goal weight should be.
Step 2
Perform moderately-intense cardio or aerobic for at least 150 to 300 minutes per week; or when you increase your fitness level, up that to vigorously exercising for 75 to 150 minutes a week.
Step 3
Perform two or three strength-training sessions each week.
Step 4
Practice yoga.
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm in your ball park with the height - 5', but not the weight.  Mine shot up about 7 yrs ago, when my thyroid stopped working and I've struggled with it since then.  

Even though I've always been short, I never had a weight issue until my thyroid stopped working, so I always recommend that anyone who suddenly starts gaining for no reason, get theirs checked.  It only takes some simple blood tests -  TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  Often once the weight is gained, with an under active thyroid, it's much harder to get it off.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you're about the age to be starting peri-menopause also, if you haven't already and that, too, can take a toll on the weight, so you might want to get those hormone levels tested, as well.
Thank you for your comments Barb.  Before I went on this last diet, I had wondered and was tested for thyroid and hormone issues and everything was negative.  I keep pre-menopause in the back of my head all the time.  I have not seen any symptoms, besides the weight and low metabolism.  I am back in the gym again with weight training classes and cardio.  Thanks again!  
COMMUNITY LEADER
Just because thyroid test come back "normal" doesn't mean it's all normal for you AND it depends on what whether your doctor is actually ordering the Free T3 and Free T4 tests or if s/he's just ordering the TSH test as so many do.  

Because the thyroid controls metabolism, any time you have low metabolism, there's bound to be thyroid involvement, even if thyroid tests are in the normal range.  If your results are lower than mid way of the reference ranges, that's a good sign that your thyroid function is declining.