Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Sunday Weigh-In November 11, 2018

Good morning everyone.  First off, a shout out to all the Veterans out there - those who have served, are serving and will serve.  Thank you for your service.  

It's still early here so the sun hasn't gotten up, but a quick look at the forecast says we're in for a clear day, close to 80°, so it should be a fine day to get and do something fun.  For everyone who is stuck up north in cold snowy weather, you're welcome to teleport yourselves down for some warmth and Vitamin D... lol

There hasn't been a lot happening here.  We did finish with the cabinets in my workshop.  For those that might not have read last week's weigh-in thread, we'd found an old entertainment center that we rebuilt to make a hanging cabinet and also a lower cabinet, both with doors and shelves - the lower one even has one pull out shelf and I'm planning to make another pull out shelf/drawer.  The biggest problem with them is that, apparently, the people from whose home they came, were apparently, heavy smokers and the smoke smell is thoroughly embedded.  I'm  still trying to get that out.  

AnnieBrooke, I did see your comments last week about checking Craig's List.  I kept meaning to go back and respond and didn't ever get it done, so I'll do that here.  We did do that; unfortunately, there was nothing there.  We even went to a couple of Habitat for Humanity stores and I also put an ad on another neighborhood forum I frequent and had no luck there either.  Of course, if I hadn't been looking for cabinets, I'd have found a ton of them.   lol

In addition to adding the cabinets to my shop, we found some really reasonably priced LED lights and got those hung, so now I can see what I'm doing.  My husband also machined some more needed equipment for my pen making hobby, so I'm ready to get back to work with that again. The only thing I really need to do now, is replace my broken scroll saw, but I'm not sure I need to do that right at this moment.  The only thing is, we looked at Lowe's yesterday and the one I want is on sale.  Do I or don't I spend the money for it?  

I had a doctor's appointment on Wednesday.  I have officially (according to the doctor's scale), lost 4 pounds since I saw him in July.  The kicker is that if my appointment had been in the morning, the count would have been 5 pounds.  lol  Anyway, I'll take the 4 pounds and be happy.  It's not a lot over 4.5 months when a lot of people are able to lose a pound/week and keep it off, but for me, it's pretty awesome because I've struggled with my metabolism for 10 yrs and for most of that time, the trend was only up; now, at least, it's going the right direction, even if it's slow going.

It was obvious that my ankles (especially the left one) were swollen and when I mentioned that my weight had been a pound less that morning, the doctor acknowledged that it was obvious it probably was.  Unfortunately, they only record what they see. That's why I like morning appointments.  lol

Anyway, we all know that even a small success is encouraging and helps motivate one to keep trying.  I think the fact that I've been spending so much time in my shop and less time at the computer (standing vs sitting) has had a lot to do with being able to start losing again.  My neighbor has gone back to OR until January and I haven't been motivated to walk by myself again like I was before the time change.  I was enjoying an evening walk but now that it's dark so early I don't seem inclined to go out and do it.  At the same time, I keep looking at my treadmill resting quietly in the guest room and feeling guilty about not using it.  I'm actually considering selling it, but keep trying to convince myself I really will use it again...

Okay - so that's my story, or part of it... what's yours?  How have you done this past week?  What's helping you or hindering you? Be sure to let us know what, if anything we can do to help you with your weight loss journey.   Whether you need tips, support, motivation or just want to blow off steam, this the place to do it.

~~Wishing everyone a wonderful, successful week~~
I'm down .4 of a pound, another slow creep but downward which is of course what I'm after. This would mean a good five pounds lost, from the start of the challenge. (I can't remember the exact point of a pound when I started, but the pounds were well over where I like to be.)

I did some reading up on the best practices to divest oneself of a tummy, which is the part of me that makes me annoyed. (Some of it could just be the skin that stretched out when I was pregnant, but it's pretty undeniable when I look in the mirror that some of it is fat.)  Everything I read pointed to carbs and sugar, sugar and carbs, which makes it even more of a total no-brainer about what I have to do. It's just doing it that is difficult. But the other night, we went to dinner, and I piled on everything else I like that is not sugar or carbs. I think that overeating slightly on meat, fish, cheese, salad, veggies, etc. is the only way I'll fob off my sugar cravings. If I'm not hungry, they aren't that noticeable. I need to break through to the point where I don't desire my dear Dr. P.  

Some pretty fall days (today is one), we drive down the Chehalem Valley to the nut farms and get super-fresh filberts (hazelnuts, but in Oregon you definitely call them filberts) in big sacks. If I had those in my house all the time, I could fend off the Doctor, though I have to be careful how many I eat, because for some reason they also give me gum boils if I over-indulge. I might suggest a fun family drive today.

Anyway, I'll shift over and post on the holidays challenge. I managed to remember my start weight for it down to the .01 of a pound, so I'll know if I get that last five pounds off or not. (If I do, it had better be all tummy fat, though -- wouldn't it be disappointing to lose one's last five pounds and come out with a flat butt and no boobs and *still* have tummy fat? lol)
You did well with 0.4 lb, even though I know you wanted to drop more. As we're all too well aware, it doesn't always work out that way.

I think you're on the right track with eating more meat, fish, veggies, etc.  That's what I had to do, also.  The only way I can lose weight is to add more meat and veggies, along with more healthful fats, like avocado and coconut and olive oils, nuts, seeds, etc.  The extra fats fill me up and keep me from getting hungry between meals so I don't crave snacks.

I didn't know they actually call hazelnuts, filberts in OR.  We have some friends who have a nut farm and they do call them hazelnuts instead of filberts.  They've sent us sacks of nuts, also... yummy.  I'm jealous that you can just take a drive and go get them.  :-)

I don't know if you're using the weight tracker here on MH or not.  It's a good way to keep track of your weight and you can set it so you're the only one who can see it.  That way you don't have to try to remember your weight from one point in time to another.  

I've lost my lower tummy, but not the upper part.  I can't blame it on pregnancies since my kids are both in their 40's and it wasn't there when I walked out the hospital with babies in my arms... lol   When I lose weight, I do lose boobs and butt, but not my saddle bags, which is what I really "want" to lose.  I hope you have better luck than I do.
Probably your friends in Oregon call them hazelnuts because that is the more common term in other places besides Oregon. (This would be similar to how I call Dr. Pepper "pop" here but would call it "soda" if I were talking to friends from New York.)  They likely use the word filbert when talking to their nut-farming neighbors. :) How nice that they would send you a sack of them when they were fresh. When I was a kid, my mom would roast them in butter and sprinkle them with salt, and set them out in bowls for party snacks when adults came over, one bowl of those and one of butter mints next to each other on the side tables. I would sneak out and steal the filberts and ignore the mints, despite loving butter mints as well. I can get filberts year round here, but often they are farmed in Turkey if it's not the autumn, and it's simply not the same.

And as to the name, here is from the story of St. Philbert: "Philibert was buried at Heriou, but in 836 the monks of Noirmoutier abandoned their home, finally settling with the relics of Philibert where the great church of St Philibert at Tournus still stands. His feast day is 20 August. The filbert, or hazelnut, is said to have been named after him, since it ripens about August 20 in England."

The first non-native population in Oregon to be here in any number and with intent to grow things was not Catholic nor French, but British, well before the Oregon Trail arose. It would have been both logical and easy for the Hudson's Bay Company factors to bring in nuts to start trees, or even seedlings, so perhaps that is why we got the English name for the nut despite later American settlement.
That's an interesting story about the filberts... I've never heard of St. Philbert (or is it Philibert?)  

You could very well be right that the nut farmers refer to them as filberts when talking to other farmers or people they know.  I was never very familiar with hazelnuts until we met these people (they're actually friends of my winter neighbors, who commute back and forth between Florida and OR).  Until I met them, I'd always known the nuts as filberts because my parents always used to get a big bag of mixed nuts at Christmas time when I was growing up.  I actually thought filberts and hazelnuts were 2 different kinds of nuts.  I was never fond of them, then, but I guess our tastes change as we get older or perhaps the nuts we got from our friends were a lot fresher...lol   But then we never got them roasted in butter with salt on them either. lol   (btw - they're also yummy roasted in butter, with cinnamon and sugar).

Ironically, August 20 is the birthday of one of my brothers... nope, his name isn't Filbert.  :-)

I hadn't realized that the first non-native population in OR in any number was specifically British, but of course, that makes sense and also that they would bring in seeds or seedlings to to start trees.

History lesson in Weight Loss & Dieting - how cool is that?  :-)
Yeah, Britain claimed the area, and the Hudson's Bay Company had forts and small settlements. Look up Dr. John McLoughlin if you want to see a tremendous face.
I managed health food stores for many years, and when we bought them for sale in bulk they were always sold as and called filberts.  Customers, though, almost always called them hazelnuts.  Can't remember what we put on the bins to label them.  I used to have a great book a journalist wrote that went into the history of food and why it was called what it was called, but I never looked this one up.  
AnnieBrooke - I looked at several photos of Dr. John McLoughlin - he had no sign of a smile in any of them and his eyes are very sinister looking.  I'd hate to meet him in a dark alley... lol

When we visited our friends in OR a few years ago, we went to one fort, but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the Hudson's Bay Company.  I'll have to look that up again.
Who knew about filberts?  Oh, okay,  Everyone but me.  In ohio, we call them hazelnuts.  LOL  And let's see . . . coffee?  That's how I think of them.  I'm not sure I've eaten them just 'as is' and now want to try them. Have I missed the boat in terms of when they are good?  
You should be able to buy them in the stores about now.  We can usually buy them during the holidays and if they're from this year's harvest they'll be good.  You should probably plan to pay quite a bit for them, though and sometimes, we can only find them in bags/cans of mixed nuts, not by themselves.
Special or Barb, pm me your mailing address and I'll send you some of the fresh ones.
so, I lost a pound.  Not huge but moving in the 'right' direction.  Been stressed which definitely helps the diet.  But it is now harder to exercise as it has turned frightfully cold and it makes walking and my outside exercise less desirable.  I'm going to need to transition to the winter routine (that is not made up yet).  
Safe weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week, so you're doing well at losing a pound.  It's not really good to lose it when you're stressed because that often means you aren't eating well, but if you are eating well, in spite of stress, go for it.

Winter is notorious for shutting down exercise programs for those in northern climates.  Do you have some work-out DVD's you can rock to while the boys are in school or can you go to the "Y" some days or something?  I'm sure you'll figure out a winter routine...
So I have no actual idea if I've lost anything. My weight seems to go up and down by a pound or two daily, so I guess now I'm just trying to figure out an average, and go from there. The scale says I've lost 3 lbs, but it was up 3 lbs yesterday, so yeah, no idea.

I'd guess I haven't, since I have changed absolutely nothing except weighing myself. Oh I got more stress added to my life in the form of car repairs - that should be really helpful. I've decided this is the last money I'll put into this car, so now I get to look for a new car.

I"ve heard of filberts, but never knew they were just hazelnuts. Learn something new...
Are you into salt?  It sounds like your weight might be fluctuating due to fluid retention.  Mine does the same thing.  I can weigh one thing when I get up in the morning and by the time I go to bed, I've gained 4 lbs (or more).  All I have to do is think about what I've eaten through the day... it's either salty stuff or things with flour (bread, crackers, etc).  

I weigh myself every day and write it down.  Sometimes, when I get frustrated with the fluctuation, I'll average the week's weights and see what I come up with.  I often find I really did lose a little bit.

Aren't you the lucky one to get to deal with car repairs?  We've been having some issues with our van, too, but my husband is dead set against getting a different vehicle so here we are...  :-)  I hope you have good luck finding something.  

More information about filberts/hazelnuts - the fat in them is the healthy type.  I don't feel bad about eating it, but I do have to limit the amount.
Yeah, I'm sure it's fluid retention. Salt and I have a really strong relationship - we're besties. Oh interesting about the flour - I eat a lot of that stuff, too. I should pay attention to that.

I hate cars. Giant pain in my butt right now. I'm sorry you can't get a new one. I'll be getting a used one, but it will still be better than what I have. I'm not ever accused of being frugal, but I hate that cars are so expensive. Why are cars what annoy me when other things are also expensive? No idea.

Ah yes, someone after my own heart - besties with salt and flour products.  lol   Of course, we all know that salt causes fluid retention, but think about what's in those products with the white flour, as well.  It's usually salt and sugar, along with some unhealthy fats.  Bread, crackers and all those things are exactly what bloat is made of.  I recognize it well.  

I've pretty much given up most things with white flour, since I had a bout with H. Pylori a couple years ago and my gastroenterologist convinced me that my health depended on keeping my gut healthy, but there are still a few things I indulge in, though I feel miserable afterwards.  I just polished off some fresh homemade banana bread... yummy, but ugghhhh!!

Cars can be a real pain.  I don't worry too much about not getting a new car - well, it wouldn't be new either (I have an aversion to paying more for a car than we paid for our first home... lol).  Anyway, my husband is a mechanic, so he can fix most of what goes wrong.    I think the price of vehicles is outrageous.  Even used ones aren't cheap.
On the other hand, I've seen some good used cars lately. People aren't keeping their cars until they are total beaters any more, the way they did when I was a kid. So there are trade-in cars relatively moderately priced out at the lots where we went this summer to get our new car.
I've given up most sugar (the obvious kind - cakes, cookies, baked goods, DONUTS - I had a relationship with donuts), caffeine, smoking. Now I need to consider white flour? Bleh.

I totally get the bloat though, and the feeling awful after eating certain things. I need to pay better attention to that. You have a good gastro though - I had bleeding ulcers a couple years back (too many NSAIDS, not H Pylori), and mine didn't mention a thing about gut health.

I need to get through the holidays before I really look at a car. Well, that's what I have in my mind anyway. I've gone without a car payment for a long time, and I just don't want another one, but it's going to be soon.

There are a lot of books out about gut health and how we don't/won't feel well if our gut isn't healthy.  The first, and most impressive, one I read was "The Missing Microbes" by Dr Martin J Blaser (I think that's his name).  It gets right down to talking about how we even benefit from eating dirt and how babies born vaginally are more healthy than those born via Cesarean because they pick up beneficial bacteria in the birth canal... pretty heavy stuff, but very interesting and enlightening!!

And let's not forget that flour, along with the sugar that accompanies it in most/many recipes, is a simple carb, meaning that it's turned to sugar in the blood very quickly so it spikes blood sugar (glucose), which prompts the pancreas to produce insulin to lower the blood glucose.  Insulin is known as the "fat storage" hormone because whatever blood glucose isn't used for immediate energy (as when we exercise or work it off), is stored as fat.  That was definitely my problem.  I ate foods that contain flour, sugar, etc then didn't work them off like I did when I was younger and/or I could when my metabolism was normal so insulin stores them as fat.  I do have, both, pre-diabetes and metabolic syndrome and it's only with hard work that I can keep them under control and keep my pre-diabetes from becoming full-blown type II.  

Unfortunately, I keep the numbers just within the normal ranges to keep the doctors happy, but what happens in my body isn't necessarily what I need in order to lose the weight.  I have to walk a pretty tight rope in order to accomplish both.
Annie, you're right about cars; there are some pretty nice, low mileage ones on lots now, but some of them have prices equivalent to new ones - at least in my area.  If I have to pay the price of a new car, I might as well have a new one; at least then I'll have the warranty, etc.  Occasionally, though it's possible to run across a good deal on a used vehicle... we did on the van we have now, but that was a long time ago; now we need to find another deal... lol
Update on the filberts . . .   I went to the local country produce store here and bought myself some filberts.  (had to tell the manager they were hazelnuts as he looked at me blankly when I said filberts).  They were not in a shell.  I ate them raw.  Tasty.  I toasted them with a little bitter and salt.  (tasty)  They are a good snack. But I have that same thing going on in that I need like 12 handfuls to feel like I'm full and satisfied.  That can't be good. lol
Can you try eating a few then stop and wait to see if your brain's message center catches up in a few minutes? Sometimes it takes a few minutes to feel full; that seems to be why I over eat sometimes... If that makes any sense.
I wonder if they were from this year's harvest. If they were pretty soft, then yes. If more dry and hard, then eh, maybe last year's or maybe from Turkey. (Even in Oregon, a big filbert-producing state, we see Turkish filberts at other times of the year besides fall.) Anyway, I was serious above when I offered to mail some to you. The "Ennis" variety is the most delicious, and the sweetest. :)
Incidentally, not because I'm being careful, I did wind up eating a few, stopping, and then eating a few, when I got a package of them over the weekend. It does work for me. I still want my D.P., it's no panacea, but I really think I snacked a lot less over the weekend.
They are fairly soft.  They were expensive so I hope they were fresh.  lol  I guess I should look at it this way, if I snack on these and eat too much of them .  .  . at least it is healthier than other snack choices like left over candy, chips, and other forbidden yummies in the frig. I do eat a handful, walk away and come back.  I put them in the dining room that I don't walk by as much like I do the counter bar in my kitchen that I pass 22 billion times a day.  That has helped a little.
As a kid, they were always called filberts, even on the bag of mixed nuts that they came in. The bag would be emptied into a wide, low Christmasy dish that also held a nut cracker (but no sweets) and a 'nut pick' or two (for walnuts and Brazil nuts). There was some kind of tall handle in the center of the dish.

Filberts were always my favorite, and I believe that's because they have some nutrient that does me good, more so than other nuts have.

I think that it's fairly well accepted that nuts don't usually cause weight gain, especially if you don't grind them up very much with your molars and eat them fairly quickly. Not a lot of the calories get absorbed that way - as opposed to say... nut butters.

Hey Ken - thanks for joining us...  You're right about filberts being called that on the bag of mixed nuts they came in.   We had a wooden type bowl that we emptied the bag of nuts into, and you're right, it had a handle type thing in the middle and there was always a nut cracker (sometimes more than one) in the bowl.  We always had another bowl sitting nearby to put the shells in, but there were always some that got spilled on the floor - I know because I had to clean them up.  lol

I'm glad you say that about eating nuts because filberts have a variety of nutrients, including manganese, copper, vitamin E, B vitamins, potassium, and zinc. They're also good sources of protein and mono and polyunsaturated fats, along with oleic acid.

Other nuts also have a variety of nutrients, along with their healthy fats and shouldn't be overlooked as part of a healthy diet.  For instance, Brazil nuts are an excellent source of selenium, which is necessary for proper thyroid function.  Even if one has proper thyroid function, without maintaining healthy levels of various nutrients that function may not last forever.

Let's all go with Ken's assessment and eat the filberts this year instead of the sugar cookies... lol
I do enjoy a good nut bowl with the cracking tool in it when I go places.  I tried to recreate that at home and it was a headache with the kids between having to help them and shell pieces everywhere.  When they leave for college, I'm getting a bowl of nuts out again!  lol.  But I like a bowl of assorted nuts unshelled and we put that out at different festive events.  Glad to know I'm not going to change my pants size again because of them!