Aa
A
A
A
Close
Weight Loss & Dieting Community
7.68k Members

Thyroid Disease/heart healthy diet

Besides just being diagnoised with Hashimoto's thyroid disease, and now high cholostrol..and now having to go on a diet after 53 years of being skinny...I am trying to find a diet to start out. I eat veggies, fruit, lean meat, fish and chicken, I do like my bacon and sweets and sweet tea.... I can not drink crystal light because of the artifical sweetners. I love water. Also my husband is way over weight too, so I need to make a change. I am a good southern cook and x cake/baker....need a little guidance on a book to read and understanding calorie counts ect. Please help.
1 Responses
649848 tn?1534637300
COMMUNITY LEADER
The best diet book I've read yet is "The Flex Diet" by Dr James Beckerman.  Dr Beckerman is a cardiologist and also participates in MedHelp.  His book is chock full of hints and tips for dieting; making small changes that you can stick with.

My doctor recommends the Mediterranean diet, because it incorporates a lot more veggies and good fats than a lot of other diets.  

Are you on thyroid medication?  Once your thyroid levels are stabilized, you should be able to lose the weight more quickly and your cholesterol should come down.

Cutting back on the sweets, bacon a and sweet tea, should do wonders.

You might want to check out the thyroid forum, here on MedHelp.  There's great info on Hashimoto's, hypothyroidism, testing, treatments, etc. I can be found via the following link.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?controller=forums&action=show&id=73&camp=msc
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.