Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Type 2 diabetes

I am a Type 2 diabetic.  Who has changed my eating habits drasticly.  Eat mostly fruit and vegetables, but have not lost weight.  Any suggestions for losing weight from other Type 2 diabetics out there?  Any diet plans that would be good?  I am at least 100 pounds overweight, but have been told I can not have weight loss surgery because I have an illeostomy.  I am in my early 40's.
Welcome!  

My husband was a type 2 diabetic, and by losing 65 pounds, he is now normal (well, as far as diabetes is concerned, anyway!) and not on any meds at all.
He lost the weight simply by decreasing his portion sizes, cutting out red meat, increasing complex carbohydrates (to a point) and increasing fruits and veggie intake (as you are doing).  And exercising.

Couple of important questions:  Are you exercising at all?  If not, start with something minimal and brief, and increase your exercise as you become more fit.  At first, even 5 minutes 3 X a week would be better than nothing.  Light hand weights can be used even if you have chronic knee or back problems from obesity--you can even use them sitting on the couch.  Walk as much as you can.

Secondly, how much fruit are you eating?  Fruits are great, but they are a double edged sword for diabetics.  They do have more calories than most veggies, so eating a lot of them can be counterproductive.  They also will raise your blood sugar rather quickly.   You should eat a minimum of 5-9 servings of fruits and veggies a day, but be sure you are getting more veggie servings than fruits.  Often I go to the salad bar at the grocery and heap up a container with their precut and washed veggies (if I'm lazy or pressed for time that week).  Use these for snacking and to accompany meals.  Aim for 2-3 servings of fruit a day, and make the rest veggies.  Do not drink fruit juice if you can help it.  Its like drinking pure sugar in terms of calories and how your body utilizes it, especially for diabetics.

How are your portion sizes?   Learn how much food is contained in a serving of a particular size of food, and you'll get an eye opener (if you already are not doing this).  Get a food scale (you can even use a scale meant to weigh letters or packages) and a good set of measuring cups.  I was shocked to find that a frozen chicken breast (which I previously had assumed was one portion) was actually TWO servings.   Pasta, when measured, was another shocker in our house.  
Once we became aware of how much we were overeating, it became easier to see why my husband and I were overweight.

Be mindful of unconscious eating.  I still have trouble with this.  I taste a dab of this or a nibble of that, one cookie here and there, and it can EASILY add up to 500 calories or more in one day.  Most people don't count nibbles and bites when they are trying to count calories.

Learn your personal satisfaction level.   Learning what your body should feel like after a meal is tricky.  You should feel "nothing" after a meal.  Not stuffed, not even "full".  You should feel simply satisfied.  On a hunger scale of 0 being starving, and 5 being stuffed, you should feel like you are around a 3.  
Serve yourself measured portions, and when you are done, don't linger around the table.  Get up and busy yourself with washing the dishes or other activity for at least 15-30 minutes before deciding if you want another helping.  

Decide whether you are "mouth" hungry or "stomach" hungry.  Don't eat when you are simply looking for something to chew on out of boredom or a sudden craving.  Eat when you are truly hungry.

So, measure your foods, learn to stop when you are just satisfied, and don't feed "mouth" hunger.  Get some sort of physical activity going, even if it seems minimal to you.  

Keep us posted, please!