Weight Loss & Dieting Community
Monster

Weight Gain and Menopause

External User
I am a 47 year old women going through menopause for about 1 year. A year ago I gave up a 30+ year habit of smoking and started on Celexa for the hot flashes. The Celexa has been a huge help for the menopause symptoms! However I have gained about 30 pounds in this past year. I have never weighed over 120 pounds unless pregnant and always lost all of my pregnancy weight. This continuous weight gain is becoming very depressing especially since I have cut way back on calories. Doctor has lowered my amount of Celexa and I have even cut it back more and no weight loss. Anyone else have issues with weight gain and menopause/Celexa? Thanks!
Hi!
Celelxa is unlikely to be the cause of weight gain. However uncontrolled or abnormal hormonal levels in menopause can contribute to weight gain. Also, with onset of menopause you can develop hypothyroidism, diabetes, PCOD and other such causes of weight gain. This needs to be evaluated and eliminated. Please discuss this with your doctor. Take care!