Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Weight Loss Help

I am 5'6" and weight 197 lbs.  In July I started speed walking 45 minutes every morning (5 days a week).  In September, my doctor told me to take it to the water or a bike due to a herniated disc in my back.  So, I started water aerobics or the recumbent bike (5 days a week) every morning.  About a month ago I started doing a "Boot Camp" water aerobics class twice a week at night.  And now a week ago I started a Zumba class once a week at night.  I watch what I eat.  I do not drink pop, I watch my diet, I do my work outs at the same time every single morning at at the nights too!  Now that I have told you all of this - I have LOST NO WEIGHT!  I am going insane.  I want to quit.  If it didn't make me feel a little better about myself - I would quit!  Any suggestions?
Hi there!  Good for you and your commitment to exercise!  That is the hardest part of losing weight for me.  There are a few things that could be going on.

1)  Have you had your thyroid levels checked?  So many women (myself included) have low thyroid function and hypothyroidism.  It causes weight gain (as well as a number of other symptoms) and can make it harder to lose weight, especially if it has not been addressed.  Do ask your doctor to test all your thyroid levels (not just TSH, check the free levels too).  If it is low you can take a replacement which will get you back in line and then you may start to see some weight loss.

2)  When I first started this I thought I was eating right.  I started using the s p a r k p e o p l e web site to advise me on what range of calories, carbs, fats, proteins, etc. I should eat and allows me to record what I eat, telling me what those counts were.  Med Help will be coming out with a calorie tracker soon too.  This really helped me to realize where I was going wrong and allowed me to plan ahead all my meals.  Using this, the weight and exercise tracking here on Med Help, the Health Cooking forum for great recipes and the support of our members, has allowed me to finally see some results after many years of trying.  You may just be misjudging or not eating the right balance.  Check this out.

3)  You may be gaining muscle which does weigh more.  Have you measured yourself to see if you have lost any inches?

Please let us know how these check out.  We're here to support you in any way we can.

All the best, Trudie
First, FANTASTIC job on your commitment and dedication!  Way to go!!!  

Now, to address your question .. with all this activity, your body may not be getting enough calories if you're limiting your food as well.  You body can actually view increased exercise and low calories as if you are in jeopardy of starving and it will do everything it can to hold onto the weight.  To break this cycle, this plateau, try eating a few more calories for a day or two and keep changing the exercise from day to day so your body does not know what to expect.  

Here's some more information .. http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/40803

Best wishes .. please let us know how you are doing!  We'd love to see more of you here and hope you'll join us regularly!  

Ranae