Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Weight Loss

I am desperately looking to find a way to lose a bunch of weight by Prom in May! It's my boyfriends Senior Prom and I would love to look stunning for him! Currently I am 17 years old (female) and about 205 pounds. I would like to be about 150 by May, or go from size 16 to single digits. I'm only a Junior. but since 5th grade I've struggled with trying to lose weight. I don't know what else to do, I want a quick way to lose weight. I struggle to find time at all to exercise. I really hope that I can find a way to do this weight, I've tried eating healthier and drinking only water. I like water so that really helps! I just would love some advice and support! At this point, I'm about ready to have my boyfriend run to the store and get me pills, but that is my last resort. Oh, and when it comes to school, I feel like I have problems trying to pick the right food because I am at school with really no other options but eating chicken daily. I'm thinking maybe being a vegitarian though but eat chicken only? Help!
I understand what you are going through. I am the same way. I have been struggling with my weight since I was very young. The biggest advice I have for you is to make your goals a little smaller. There is absolutely no healthy way to lose 55 pounds in five months. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. To lose weight and be happy about your progress you need to make realistic goals. Know your portions and try to get protein at every meal. The more fiber the better as it will fill you up and you won't feel as hungry. Snacks are good as long as they are low calorie, they will keep your metabolism at a steady level all day long. If you don't eat, your body will think you are starving it and will store fat rather than lose it. My advise on pills.... they don't work. There aren't FDA approved weight loss pills because they don't exist and they don't really help you keep the weight off. Pills that clean your colon allow you to lose weight but it's not the fat that you are losing. Other pills allow you to lose about five pounds in water weight wich you will gain back after going off the pills. In my experience, after trying every diet known to man, losing weight, gaining it all back plus some, I have a new outlook on weight loss which might help you as well. I want myself to be healthy. So if you try to make yourself healthy, eat the right foods and exercise- even if it's just walking for twenty minutes a day, you will become healthier, and the weight will come off as a result.
Everyone wants to lose weight quickly but unless you make time for your body (exercise and a good diet) it won't happen. There is no miracle cure to being overweight, no magic pill or shot or other.
I hope this helps you some. It's probably not what you want to hear since we would all really like to magically see the pounds disappear in a moments time, but remember it took a while to gain all of that weight and it is likely to take just as long if not longer to lose it.
Good luck in your weight loss goals!
Thank you so much! I'm glad someone would even take this time on me to give advice. I am going to try and get on the treadmill or something at least 2 or 3 times a week. I think that could really help to start. I'm hoping by May, I'll at least look a lot smaller. I hate struggling like this, and I hate myself for letting me become this way to begin with. But it happened and I can't take that back, so now I have to get through this. It's hard when like my mom and sister are so much smaller than me, and I feel like I'm always getting compared to them...
ok......first of all - there is no safe quick way to lose weight. I get that you want to look incredible for the prom. but, losing the weight has to be something you want to do for yourself. you need to want to feel better and look better before you can do it for someone else.
that being said, i have some great advice that will get you on your way. i have been in the fitness industry for a while and was an all american athlete prior to medical issues occuring within the last year.

- water is great. drink tons of it. i usually get the big bottle of water (1 liter) from the grocery store or convienience store. drink that and then refill it. 2 liters a day.

- healthy food choices is always tough when you arent at home.  so, pack your lunch. bring healthy choices from home.  pack a lunch before you go to bed at night and stick it in the fridge. that way you can just grab it on your way out the door in the morning.

- food is fuel for your mind and body.  you have to eat for your body to have energy to lose the weight.  breakfast is a must. eating your carbs in the morning with a protein with give you a nice start to the day.

- you have to exercise! get in some fitness before school.  if you cant get to the gym, there are some great circuit workouts on cable for free. even just setting up some at home exercises (jumping rope at intervals, push ups, sit ups, etc) your can get a great 30 minute workout in the morning that will kick start your metabolism.

- eat three meals and two snacks everyday! try and balance your food choices. i typically avoid high sugar foods. carbohydrates are eaten in the morning and afternoon.  dinner is typically, chicken or fish and a salad or veggies.  

-the pills will damage your interal organs and not give you the results you are looking for.

-pickup a fitness  magazine (shape or self) they have good exercise programs in them that are easy to follow and can be done right at home.

-dont eat after 7pm. lots of water....if you have to eat - make it a handful of veggies, or a handful of almonds. if you find yourself wanting to snack because you are bored, that would be a great time to hit the floor for some crunches, dips, push - ups (get my point......)

hope some of this was helpful. good luck with everything,

NO PILLS!!! It could really hurt you.  :)
Thanks so much for the advice! So, what kind of food should I eat in the morning? Milk usually hurts my throat and makes it feel swollen, but maybe cereal will be okay, I don't know. In the mornings, I need something that will atke less than 5 minutes to make... usually I'll eat a Calzone or left overs from the night before. I heard Special K should be good? Also, what kind of chicken? As in, cooked how? It's such a hard thing to lose weight and find the motivation to get up. I want to feel better about myself and look better. And I want my boyfriend to look at me and be blown away.
Getting up early is not going to happen because I wake up already at 5:30am-6am, but I can definately start doing crunches and stuff like that, but how many do you suggest a day?
I personally don't recommend Special K because it has a lot of high fructose corn syrup... I recommend and I really like this myself, is Honey bunches of Oats. It's really good and good for you! Eggs are always a great way to start out the day because they are one of the best sources of protein!
As for the chicken, don't fry it! Cook it in a pan without oil or bake it.
You should start small with your exercises. Do ten crunches to start and then work your way up five or so at a time when you feel comfortable enough to do so.Any time you can fit in a little exercise do so!
I'm rooting for you!!!!!
Oh okay. A part of the problem is I have braces too, so I have to be really careful what I eat, and so I'm picky on that. I do like salads also, so maybe I can get into eating those and passing the burgers. So would like chicken nuggets, tenders, etc be a no?
Instead of eating the breaded chicken nuggets and tenders maybe try the chicken tenders that are not breaded.
Salads are really good but make sure to watch the dressing. Creamy dressings will have a lot more fat and calories. Light dressings are a better choice or you could try basalmic vinegar or vinegrette.
Today starts my diet!!!!! I'm starting the morning off with a salad with a little cheese and the crushed croutons. I think my main problem is portion control. So I'm making sure to read those labels! Also a small glass of apple juice. I don't want to like totally pull myself away from all things I like.
I've decided too that I want to be a vegetarian. So later I'm going to do some research on ways to get those nutrients I'd otherwise be missing. I hope this works!!
i would try hard boiling eggs in advance.  grab 2-3 of those and a cheese stick. preferably the part skim ones.
as for chicken, grilled of baked. breaded has extra fat and calories that you'll want to save for later.
if you need to eat cereal, make sure it has a high amount of fiber. soy milk is good. (you should try it considering you comment on throat swelling)
fruits are good. apples, bananas, berries. WATER!!
anything prepackaged is going to have alot of pre-packaged addatives and sodium. try and steer clear of that stuff.
if you want to go VEGAN, you'll need to supplement with soy and tofu. you should keep some protein in your diet so decide if its going to be chicken or eggs.  if you take too much away, too quickly, you'll crash.
make sure you listen to your body.  if its hungry, feed it. but use portion control and select high fiber stuff.  veggies, fruit, whole grain/whole wheat products. stay away from all whites (bread, rice)

as far as exercise, if you are trying to get a quick workout in - try beginning your set by going to failure....meaning do as many as you can.  wait a minute then try to beat that number. if you cant get as close to it as you can.  do that for 10 minutes.
rest a few, then move onto squats, or pushups.  do the same thing.  the idea is to keep your heart rate up so your metabolism gets moving.  the more you rest between sets, the slower things are going to move. monitor a healthy heart rate (you can google that for your body weight)

good luck. keep me posted on your progress.

jil
Today went okay. Like I said, a salad for breakfast. I was getting hungry at school before lunch, so my snack was Cheeze Its that were the 100 Calorie Packs. And I didnt even eat half of it. Lunch I had pasta and water. I did kinda lose it when I go home and opted for a cheeseburger and doritos. it'll take the place for my dinner. so much for that vegetarian thing. i did good to start off the day, but i dont think ill be able to give up burgers and chicken. ill just eat them less often.
if you do have to eat burgers - get a lean meat. low fat cheese, no bun. replace bun with lettuce leaves (romaine) and tomato

your eating bad after school because your body isnt used to the drastic cut in calories and fat. you need to balance your meals better or you will not see progress....its a HUGE commitment. salad for breakfast??? ok......it needs protein. chicken, egg whites...something. hopefully fat free dressing or low fat.  dont pour it on the salad. put it in a small dish and dip your fork in it before you pick up some salad.  
the cheezits are ok but again, look at the carbohydrates. cutting your sugar intake is very difficult in the first week. VERY difficult.
if your drinking alot of water, your appetite will decrease significantly.  buy the large bottle of water and one of the crystal light water bottle drink packets.  its says to put in in a small bottle of water - but put it in your large bottle instead. it wont be nearly as sweet but will add a little something to your water to make it more enjoyable.
exercise is super important. you wont see results quickly unless your burning what you take in.
do you have a wii? even alot of cable companies offer fitness selections for free. those are some alternatives that might work well.

its going to be a tough start, but if you want something bad enough, you'll stay on track and keep the goal in mind.  if you are tempted, remember why your doing this. keep a visual. put a picture on the cabinet or fridge door to remind you of your goal.

hang in there!
Another good one for breakfast that fills you up well is a bowl of mixed fresh fruit and yoghurt. Try and aim for the fruit that has high carb values so they burn longer, like apples, pears etc.. The more colours of fruit you get in there, the better it is for you, and pour a pot of low fat yoghurt over the top of it, and there's breakfast.. Or, a bowl of porridge with some apples and blueberries in there should keep you going till lunchtime.

Soup and pitta bread for lunch if you can at school, if not salad and chicken or tuna or wholemeal pasta.. And a piece of fruit too.

Cous-cous with chopped chicken breast and salad for dinner, with a small amount of houmous maybe for some added taste.

Try and replace your bread intake with pitta breads as they are lower in fat and carbs, try and cut out potatoes or limit how many of them you have, you still need carbs, just not TOO many.

Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. If you get hungry, try carrot or cucumber sticks and houmous or cottage cheese to dip into as a snack too.

And drink plenty of water as has already been suggested.

Although it's great you want to look a million dollars for your boyfriend for your prom, in order to be successful in any "diet" you need to be doing it for you, not someone else. I'm sure your guy already thinks of you as gorgeous anyway!

Good luck with it all, and don't forget that it makes you human if you eat chocolate and junk food sometimes too!!