Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Weight loss shakes

Hi, I've been thinking about going on a liquid diet for awhile mainly to rest my system because I've had so many GI issues for so long that have only gotten worse, with the stomach pains, heartburn, nausea, etc. I am going to get more testing soon with my GI doctor and I did get food allergy tested and discovered certain foods do bother me more. But it just seems that I can't eat anything anymore without it upsetting my system. So, I've been seriously thinking about doing shakes for awhile, to not only rest my system (hopefully) but also I would like to lose some weight too. I'd have to use soy milk, I guess, since cows milk bothers me.
Does anyone know much about them and whether one brand may be better than another? I've been looking into Herbalife since I have a friend who sells it but it is kinda expensive. I guess they all can be. I don't know if it's any better than any other weight loss shake. I don't want something with a lot of sugar. I just mainly want something that has lots of vitamins, fiber, etc. that will fill you up and still be good for you. And hopefully something that tastes good too!
I'm also wondering about homemade shakes, if anybody has any good recipes with enough variety to keep things interesting and that's still nutritious.
Any suggestions?
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm not familiar with Herbalife, but I think there might be some here who are.  I keep some slimfast shakes (or store brand equivalent) in the fridge for those times when I don't have time for a regular meal - mostly breakfast, but I can't say I'd recommend them as the sole dietary intake.  

If you've been tested and find that some foods bother your stomach, I'd say just stay away from them and go for a plan that allows lots of fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats, etc.  I guess soy milk would be okay, unless you take a thyroid med, then do not use soy products as they inhibit the absorption of the thyroid med.  

I think it's always best to get on a plan that will end up being a lifestyle, rather than something like the shakes, because as soon as you go off that type of diet, you will most likely end up right back where you are now.  

Your body was designed to cleanse itself (your kidney, liver, etc) so unless you have issues with one or the other of those, you shouldn't have too much trouble, so long as you stay away from foods that cause the problems.  

For homemade - there are some great smoothies you can make -- try 1 cup milk (dairy or soy), 1 cup frozen berries (any kind), a packet or two of stevia (sweetener) or honey etc to sweeten and a few ice cubes.  Put it in a blender and blend well -- yummy..........Makes a wonder breakfast item or even snack, without a lot of calories; but you have to keep in mind that you won't get all the necessary vitamins/minerals from it, so you can't make it your sole source of food....  

I strongly suggest that you take a good multi if you decide to go this route, but I hope you'll join us in setting some goals and accompany us on a weight loss journey by opting for a sensible diet consisting of "good for you" foods that your GI can tolerate, along with moderate exercise.....feel free to read/respond to my post regarding a weight loss journey...
Thanks Barb. I'm just getting so frustrated with not being able to eat things without feeling sick, even healthy things. I can't eat salad or I'm running to the bathroom with stomach cramps and diarrhea (sorry if TMI). I did find out I can't tolerate lettuce but can spinach. I also can't eat yeast, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple and a host of many more things. I've been trying to eliminate these things but I'm still getting stomach pains and feeling sick. I do want to lose some weight but right now I'd just like to eat something without feeling sick! I'm so tired of this. That's why I was mainly wondering about going on liquids for awhile, just to give my system a break, more than for weight loss. I do know it's better to eat healthy, etc., and I do try to do that. I don't eat fried foods (I really feel sick after eating them if I do!), I don't eat white bread, etc. I like whole grains breads and rice, etc. but everything is bothering my stomach anymore!
I did buy a juicer and was wondering about trying that. I just want to make sure I stay healthy and get all the vitamins I need, etc. I don't want to lose muscle or anything like that. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. I would like to lose some extra weight I put on after quitting smoking several years ago and then an unexpected pregnancy but with all my GI issues I've been more focused on just trying to find things that don't make me feel so rotten. It's not been fun the last few years dealing with this. I just wish I could find something I could eat that would agree with me, be healthy and help me to lose a little weight. I probably need to do a little more research with all my digestive issues. Thanks for writing, Barb. I may be back!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Wow -- that's quite a laundry list of things you can't tolerate.  I can certainly understand your frustration.  Do you know if you are going to have to eliminate those things permanently, or if you will be able to add them back in at some point in limited amounts?  

If you can tolerate spinach, have you thought of other kinds of lettuce?  There's romaine, greenleaf, redleaf and a huge variety of others that all work well in salads..  For fruits, can you eat bananas, apples, pears, peaches, things like that?  

And what about meats?  Can you tolerate chicken and turkey?  

I guess, too, I'd have to ask what your doctor says to do.  Maybe if you get off the things that you KNOW you can't tolerate, that would help your stomach "rest" a bit, then you could gradually start adding things back in -- one at a time, then that way if something didn't agree with you, you'd know right off the bat.  

AND I'll make even one more suggestion --- maybe you could try some of the things from the baby food isle??  Most of them taste pretty good and you might be able to tolerate them easier than the "whole food" --- just a thought, and yes, would be great if you'd like to stick around with us for a while, even if you don't have a lot of weight to lose.........

Can't have peaches either or any type of lettuce except spinach, I guess. The list goes longer than that, just don't have it right in front of me right now. The doc did say I could add back in one thing at a time after 6 weeks and see if I can tolerate it.

With meats, I don't do so well with beef and pork, I've discovered but do pretty well with turkey, chicken and fish. I can't do fried foods anymore, which is ok because I rarely eat them.
The thing is they told me to go on a GERD diet which is stuff like white rice, breads, crackers and other bland things but I don't like those things! Figures, huh? Lol.

I do want to lose some stubborn pounds that have been hanging around far too long but it's hard to figure out what I can eat when I can't eat a lot of the healthy foods. I guess I should just exercise more and do the best I can with the eating.
Thanks for being so nice and talking to me about all of this. I think most people who have never had digestive problems don't understand my frustrations. It's like I get hungry and try to eat something but then feel sick afterwards. I'm still trying to find stuff that I can tolerate well. Some are more obvious than others. Thanks again, Barb. You've been very kind. :)
I found Cinch shakes work best for me.  They are full of protein, vitamins, and minerals and also have Leucine which makes your body lose fat and not muscle.  I feel much better drinking Cinch than any other shake.

You can find it here:  http://www.cinchplan.com/beckywhittaker/home
Thanks Survivable. Is it low in sugar? I'll check it out. Thanks!
COMMUNITY LEADER
I hate to see you just give up.  Did your doctor approve a liquid diet for a while?  If so, and he said you could add some things back in, in 6 weeks that might be a way to go.  I have had GERD for many years and for the past 10 could not live without my Aciphex.  I do understand what it feels like to be hungry and know that there isn't much that's going to sit well on your stomach ---

I just don't want to see anyone forgo healthy foods that might be an option even with the sensitivities that you have.  What about apples, pears etc.  or maybe apple and/or pear sauces with no sugar added?  

I might also ask if your doctor has recommended a nutritionist?  It sounds like you might need someone who has a lot more experience in this type of thing that we do here.  If your doctor is not recommending things that will help you, you might need to find another doctor......since we all know that you can't live on shakes alone (any brand)  for an extended period of time.  

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you will stick around and let us know how you do.