Weight Loss & Dieting Community

What's the best way to lose weight?

Ok so I have tried everything I can think of to lose weight and I have finally come to the conclusion that no miracle drugs will ever help me unless I am ready to help myself.  I asked for a treadmill for Christmas and I have a few work out videos that I am thinking of using but I have no willpower or motivation whatsoever.  I work at a job  where I am required to sit at least 8 hours a day and the only exercise I get is to and from the car and going to lunch.  I am around 5'5 3/4  and weigh around 230-235.  I feel very unhealthy and very ugly and I really need some suggestions on the best and fastest way to lose weight.

well there is no fast way to lose weight, you have to get motivated to do it and when you are ready and motivated you will start to see a change in your weight never are there fast results.

i suggest cutting back on fast food sodas anything that has a high calorie count if you eat those things.

start out small start using one of your work out videos for a few minutes aday twice a day once in the morning and once at night. sitting at a desk for 8 hours sure will not help but it cant be helped. soo get motivated and be happy with your self the way you are no dont put ur self down.
Try Weight Watchers. I have lost 3.4 lbs since I joined two weeks ago. I don't get much exercise and I also have to sit at a desk all day long. It really does work. Go to one meeting pay for the books and follow the point system and you will see a big difference right away.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Welcome.  Start out slowly and small changes to start with.  Try replacing one soda per day with a glass of water; or one bag of chips for a few sliced carrots, etc.  Replace a helping of mac & cheese with a salad.  Just make one change and when you are used to that, make one more, and so on.  Next thing you know, eating healthy will be second nature.  

Park farther from the door so you get a longer walk.  Go for a walk on your lunch break.  Put your treadmill where you can watch the 6;00 news and "walk away".  Turn on the radio or a cd and dance.  Fidget at your desk; even moving away from your desk for a few minutes and doing some leg/arm raises is exercise and will pay off over time.  You don't have to "dive" into a strenuous exercise routine if you aren't used to exercise - as with food, make small steady changes.  

Concentrate on protein, fiber (complex carbs), healthy fats (like that in olive oil, avocadoes, etc).  They fill you up faster and keep your filing fuller longer.  Avoid simple carbs like sugar, foods made with white flour, white rices, etc.

Or as Lonelymom suggested - try Weight Watchers.  Whatever you decide to do come back and visit us often and keep us posted on how you are doing.  
Hi, so glad to see a new face here.  Three years ago at this time, I weighed just over 210.  I had given up on EVER losing weight.  Finished. Over. Done.  Forty-one years old, who cares?  

Well, I realized that I CARED!!!  I had my 4th minor knee surgery (I've since had my 5th) and the attitude of my doctor was the perfect thing to set the ball in motion.  Something clicked.  Since he released me after only 3 weeks of physical therapy, I realized getting my knee into shape was up to me, so I started walking.  I NEVER ATE DIFFERENTLY - NO DIET.

I walked 3 miles per day, and pretty soon I noticed that I was losing weight.  THAT'S when I decided it WAS worth it to make a few other healthier food choices.

Look at the advice in the 3 posts above.  START SMALL.  Do those things for a while, then do ONE MORE SMALL THING.

Right now, I weigh 151 (it was 140, but I did have a relapse!).  I hope I am encouraging you.  IF I CAN DO THIS, ANYONE CAN.

Stay around here - we have fun.  Just keep coming back, on good days and on bad!
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yeah, twehner5 - you go girl!!  
Thanks for all of the helpful tips and the encouragement.  It feels so nice to be able to talk to folks who know what it's like going through something like this. I think my biggest weakness would be sodas. I am going to start cutting back on those first and hit the treadmill for at least a mile every day and see if that helps.  I tried doing one of those Julian Michaels videos... The beginner one.. and I thought I was going to die.. I can't believe how out of shape I am lol.