Weight Loss & Dieting Community

Why can I not loose weight?

I am terriably frustrated.  I eat very healthy, exercise, and the weight just sits there or I gain.  I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.  I'm not terriably overwieght, but I am at the top of the appropiate weight for my height.  I'm 5'3 and 137.  I eat tons of salads, hardly any carbs, drink my weight in water, eat small meals 5 times a day, no sweets, cook my own meals, I eat a healthy breakfast, ...and only occasionally splurge with a glass of red wine at dinner.  My husband and daughter follow along only at dinner and they drop 5 lbs without even trying and they do not work out and they eat fast food frequently.  I've tried the south beach because they have great, quick recipies and an easy meal plan to follow, but nothing.  I've been trying faithfully for over 5 weeks to shed just a few pounds becuase my pants are getting too tight,  but nothing - not even a pound.  What is wrong!!  I would be happy with even just 1 lb a week - but this is rediculus.  Any suggestions?  I've even given up my much love for coffee in subsitute for green tea hoping that might help.  Nothing.  And my middle area just keeps growing.  My middle section is the problem area and it constently feels so large and out of proportion with the rest of my body.  I wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.
Get tested for a thyroid disorder. Sometimes the body will just resist and start lowering the metabolism to prevent "starving".. Remember you can eat in the evening..I read that if you stop eating altogether late in the evening your metabolism will slow to conserve calories. But I would get tested for a hormone imbalance. And count the calories..that's important because you will be surprised by how 5 small healthy meals can still add up to more calories than you want if you are trying to lose weight. Also don't skimp on the carbs..your body does need them, your brain especiallly. Also look into supplements like 5 htp..read about them and see if it you might want to try it. Another route to try is to exercise more..at least an hour of walking a day..I've seen women in my office drop the pounds fast when they just upped the excercising. You are doing all the right things but first rule out a medical problem and second, really look closely at you actual calorie input vs. expenditure and you may have to tweak it to start shedding pounds. good luck
Thanks for the input.  I've have been tested for a thyroid disorder - all came back well.  I do try and count my calories and I average 1200 - right on target for my height and weight with exercise load.  And I run usually 5 miles every other day and swim 3/4 of a mile on alternate days.  Sometimes depending on work load that might vary to a quick 30 minute jog instead of the 5 miler, and a 30 min. swim or weights at the gym.  My friends can't understand it either becuase they work at the same as me, eat whatever they want, drink whatever they want and are bean poles.  Also on weekends I ususally run a long run and it ranges from 10-15 miles.  I think I'm going to actually cut back on the exercise because I'm wondering if i'm just bulking up with muscle.  It's a hard balance to maintain.
Don't get too upset. Sometimes when you forget about that specific issue then the pounds start to come off. I think that because you are almost at your target then those last few pounds are the most difficult to get rid of. Also, remember the idea that everybody's metabolism is different. There may be other factors influencing the fact that you're not losing weight anymore.  I am 5'3, too and at 137 I, too, got stuck there and no matter what I'd do I'd still weight at 137 lbs until I changed my diet to an all-protein diet. I know this may sound unhealthy but it's not. If you try to stay under 20 grams of carbs for two weeks you'll see up to 5 pounds coming off easily the first week. I did it myself and I got such results and I'm thrilled. Try to take multivitamins. You might want to consider looking at what types of veggies you are eating. Corn, beets, potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato (just to mention a few) are high in carb content.

Read about ketosis. I am a fan of this knowledge and I try to reach ketosis whenever I need to get ready for a special occasion and it works. If you go on a high-protein low-carb diet then it'll take a few days for ketosis to kick in and you'll burn fat like crazy...trust me you will.

When the body senses the lack of carbs, molecules called ketones are created immediately. It is proven that we can live a normal life in the presence of ketones. It's not dangerous. Your body will burn the excess glucose that's stored and since there is no carb input then your body will become a fat burning machine. As you may already know, carbs represent our primary source of energy, so for the first 20/30 min of your daily work-out you are burning sugar, not fat. After a while you start burning fat. If you are low in carbs your body will go straight to fat burning. You seem to be pretty active, keep it up.
I'll look that up.  I try to steer clear of the veggies you mentioned, and stick to maily greens like romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, cerlery, ...  and I'm trying to up my protein as well.  What happens if you have an occiasional carb on that diet - does it throw it off completely?  I have a weakness for homemade oatmeal cookies!!  but they are mostly oatmeal which are suppose to be somewhat good.  And red wine - that's my other weakness....  I'lll defiently stay at it, it's just terribly frustrating when you're tryingt to the right things and this belly fat just lingers around...
Trust me I know the feeling of wanting to lose stubborn extra fat. During the two weeks that I mentioned to you a while ago you are not supposed to eat oatmeal cookies (my favorites) or milk, caffeine, gum. These two weeks are called Induction and this is a very strict and difficult time but anyone who is determined to lose weight can do it.You are limited to eat any type of meat, fish, fowl. there is nothing in the sea that you can't eat. You may eat butter, not margarine, up to 4 oz of cheese but not cottage cheese coz it is high in carbs. Your carbohydrate source will come from the following: lettuce, cucumber, romaine lettuce, mushrooms, pepper, celery, fennel, chicory, jicama, radish. These salads are high in photonutrients. You may eat eggs as many as you want, bacon (be sure the bacon you buy is not cured with sugar) Chicken, turkey, duck, goose, hen, cornish, quail, beef, pork, lamb, ham, veal.

Some people just eat the protein and leave the carbs to lose weight faster but I think that that's too much of an exaggeration. If you eat up to three cups of these veggies daily you wont have constipation problems or any problem for that matter. Once ketosis kicks in you'll feel no desire to eat your cookies and you wont crave sugar. If you keep craving sugar then try buying L-Glutamine and L-carnitine. These two supplements are great at transporting fat and they work fine together. You are supposed to stick to it in order to stop craving sugar. You may feel lethargic and weak but that's just your body telling you that it wants sugar. Put some eggs or tuna in your mouth and you're good to go. Oh and at least for the first few days don't exercise strenously. Once you get used to eating this way then start increasing your exercise level. I'm telling you this because it happened to me that I couldnt work-out as hard as I used to until my body got used to it. It is going to be hard but if you stick to it then you should lose weight.

You'll know you are in ketosis when you feel no desire to eat sugar, your appetite will diminish and well....you'll notice a weight loss. Good luck with this. Don't cheat if you're going to do this. You must not drink any alcohol-containing products and that includes the wine. Remember, you don't want to stay on a glucose burning state. If you want to burn fat then at least for the first two weeks don't drink wine. You may do so afterwards.

Good luck.
Look up PCOS. I was just diagnosed with it.