A
A
A
Close
Weight Loss & Dieting Community
7.65k Members
98010 tn?1305903335

Why do I gain weight when I exercise?

It seems like everytime I add exercise to my healthy eating I tend to gain weight instead of lose.  After several weeks of trying to be patient and give the exercise program (mostly aerobic walking) a chance, I tend to get frustrated and give up exercising because my goal is to lose weight not gain it.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Am I not giving exercise enough time to see the benefits?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
124 Responses
Yes I know what you mean.  Do you notice a difference in your clothes?  The same thing is happening to me now too.  I have been going to the gym and watching what I eat and have gained like 5 lbs or so the scales say.  I don't know if I beleive it or not.  It is really frustrating.  I know they say muscle weighs more than fat.  I am just hoping that is the case!!
Well, muscle weighs more than fat, so that COULD be it. But usually you should see weight-loss when you're doing cardio. Could it be that maybe sub-conciously you're allowing yourself to eat more since you've added the exercise in? You should measure yourself, and see if you lose any inches. If you do, but your scales says other-wise, than you'll know it's just muscle.
I am always told DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF, it discourages you! When you start eating right, and excercising, you will notice a diffrerence. Your clothes will start to fit better, or fall off of you, you will feel better about yourself. If you weigh yourself, it will make you say "Hell, I am working out and eating well, and still gaining weight, I mine as well have a bag of chips" Trust me, been there done that. You will gain before you loose. it is a fact. Like the other person suggested, take measurements, you will see results much faster, and you will be better satisfied! Good Luck.
98010 tn?1305903335
Thanks to everyone for the support and ideas.  I guess I will stick with exercise a little bit longer to give it more of a chance.  I do feel better when I exercise, but then get discouraged by the scale.  So I will follow your advice and get rid of the scale and start taking measurements instead and see how that goes.  Thanks again for the help.  Good luck to all in reaching your weight loss goals!
This only happens when your body is converting fat into muscle.  Do not worry what the scale says, because you will begin to see the tightened tone in your body soon.
So, I was curious to see what happened with the weight thing.. I have the same exact problem.. and that is why I googled it and found your question.. I never weigh myself.. infact when I started going to the gym I was not trying to lose weight..just tone cause I was slim.  I immediatly have started gaining..and my jeans are close to no buttoning now :(.. I feel huge! It has been 3 weeks.

T

I am having the same problem.  I have been working out for over a month and I am not losing weight and I am gaining inches.  I do cardio and strength training 4 times a week.  Have you seen any results yet?
704458 tn?1236844843
If you are exercising more then drink more water -  if you don't your body will store fluid to counteract the sweating and salt changes in the body  - your weight increase could be fluid.... ideally drink water before during and after your exercise-

Muscle weighs more than fat but to make a difference on the scale you need to be building muscle which you do by weight training not aerobic/cardio exercise....
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat but does not weigh more.

Ask yourself a question. What weighs more a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers?

They both weigh the same 1lb. For the third time muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat it is denser.
It sounds like your muscles have retained water so keep drinking as much water as you can. I definetely don't think it's fat.

It can't be muscle as it does take more than several weeks to gain one pound of muscle and with you stating you have been exercising on and off, it's unlikely.

The key is water and start weighing yourself with a tape measure instead of scales.

It's more accurate to where you are progressing.
1114906 tn?1258741259
Koodos to you all, I have changed my eating habits and continued exercising but found myself at a hault. But then I noticed I started to gain, simply because I wasn't drinking enough water....I don't go near scales unless I'm at the doctors office, but I can just feel the weight gain in my abdominal area.  Though my jeans do fit I feel bloated all the time...However since reading the post, I took a vow to drink more water and I'll report back with results...Oh and just so you know I went from a woman's size 26 to a misses 14, and I'm still working on it...Thank you once again, I need all the advice I can get...
so does that mean that whenever i begin to run and immediately after i run i should drink water? Or shld i wait for awhile after i run before i can drink water?

I've been gaining since i started my daily jogging. it's depressing and the more i'm stressed about my weight, the more i'll eat and the more i'll gain. it really *****

i used to be really skinny when i didn't even care about my weight. As my consciousness grow, my weight increases...
Have an Answer?
Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534637300
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.