Weight Loss & Dieting Community

my BMI claims I am overweight

I am a 20 year old college student, and I was in a nutrition class where my BMI considered me overweight. I am 5'9 in a half years old, and weigh about 180-185. The thing is my breasts are a DD, and I am really muscular. I have a very low self esteem, which people including close friends, family, and my boyfriend think I am craving for attention. They tell me I need help when I say I am " fat" or whatever else comes out of my mouth. All my friends are skinny and pretty. and I hate that my BMI says I am overweight. am I or not? The BMI scale says I am, and people say im not. it just messes with my head and makes me think about it all the time.
You are B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L-!-!-!  

I hate BMI charts because they CANNOT know how a person is "composed", i.e., muscle vs. fat!!!  A *REAL* BMI test is NOT accessible to the general public.  It involves more equipment and gets expensive.  Hold on...  Okay, I just googled.  This says it better:  

"This isn't to say that BMI is without limitations. Yes, it's great for estimating the fitness of groups of people, but used to assess any one individual it can sometimes produce an iffy answer. Since it doesn't differentiate between fat weight and muscle weight, and since muscle is denser than fat, people who are especially muscular tend to score as fatter than they really are. (Most NBA superstars — e.g., LeBron James, listed at six-eight and 240 — are classed as at least mildly overweight.) BMI also glosses over the issue of fat distribution — excess weight carried around the waist is more unhealthy than extra inches on the hips. And the link between BMI and health isn't always straightforward: for the elderly a low BMI can be a bad sign, and research published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2005 found that people with BMIs in the overweight range may face no greater mortality risk than people in the normal range."  

(for the entire article, which DOES support a standard BMI chart, go here:  http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2753/is-the-body-mass-index-bmi-chart-an-accurate-indicator-of-obesity)

I wish you had the self-esteem to feel good about your weight since you describe yourself as muscular.  A person has to be comfortable in her skin.  

Stick around - you'll feel GOOD around us!!!!