Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Forum

Healthy habits but slow weight loss

I'm currently at 156lbs, 5ft, and 25yrs old. This time last year I was 198lbs. I seem to have hit a sort of middle ground where I can't seem to get my weight below the 150 mark. I'm working on a program called 10,000 steps a day, where my company is having us compete for the most steps. I'm keeping mine around 9,000-14,000 a day. I don't eat any form of red meat or pork, only chicken and seafood. Soda is a big no. I try to stick to Juice and Tea if I can, a cup of coffee in the morning. My calories are somewhere around 1,000-1,300 a day, per my doctor.

Any tips or anything one can offer is most appreciated.
First of all, congratulations!  Losing 40 pounds in a year is a great accomplishment.  But you hit on of the challenges of losing weight - the plateau.  It seems as though our bodies hit a new "set point" after we lose a certain amount of weight, which then makes it more challenging to lose further.  Keep in mind also that as we lose weight, our calorie needs actually go down - that is to say that a 200 pound person might lose weight on a 2000 calorie diet, but this same diet won't be as helpful in losing weight in a 150 pound person.

I think it's time to change it up a little - you don't want your diet/exercise to get into a rut.  In addition to walking for exercise, do you think you could incorporate some activities that will make you sweat and get your heart rate up?  Data shows that interval training (switching between slower and faster exercise) can improve weight loss.  Also, I'd be very careful about liquid calories - if you drink a glass of juice a day, that could add up to 700 calories each week - a pound in just five weeks!

I really believe you will be able to do this - you obviously have the motivation and the patience to do it right - you just need a few more tricks up your sleeve...!  Best of luck!

James Beckerman, M.D.
www.theflexdiet.com
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.