Weight Loss & Healthy Lifestyle Forum

Subject: How Can I Lose Those Stubborn Last 20-pounds?

Thank you for answering my inquiry. I have been overweight most of my life and have dieted and exercised to lose considerable weight several times. As a post-menopausal female, I understand that I need fewer calories in the 1500 to 1700 range and daily exercise.

I workout daily, usually an hour, and eat a balanced diet within the restricted calories. I am 5' 4" and weigh about 145 pounds. I believe I should weigh between 125 and 130 pounds. At that weight, I am hoping the exercising will become less strenuous and I will lose at least 2 sizes in clothing.

I have tried to lose these last 20 pounds for at least 2 years, but without results. The only results I think I am getting is water retention , excess hunger, and tighter clothes. I drink quite a bit of either hot water with some lemon juice or decaffeinated coffee/tea with a sugar substitute to curb hunger. I don't trust to have any type of dessert snack on hand because I might binge out of hunger, stress and frustration.

How would it be possible for me to reach and maintain my goal weight without feeling hungry an hour or so after the previous meal? Do I need to drastically cut down on carbohydrates and eat mostly animal proteins as in the Atkins diet? Am I exercising too much—could I reduce exercise to a half hour daily and still maintain fitness? If you have a weight loss program with specialists who work with patients in similar circumstance, I would appreciate help by explaining how I can overcome this problem and how long it could take to lose the 20 pounds.

It might be helpful to know that I am not taking hormone replacements nor any other medications. Thank you for your expertise.

Sincerely,

Dieter with Dilemma

Hi Rainnie!

Consider checking out The Flex Diet - there are a lot of outside-the-box ideas that might get you on a fresh path.  But know that you are moving everything in the right direction!
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.