Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Does anyone know of a diet pill that isnt stimulating and is effective?

I suffer from panic disorder and anxiety and I am about 50lbs since I had my baby 4 months ago.I am DESPERATE to lose this weight and have tried numerous pills but they all have some sort of stimulating ingrediant that triggers my panic attacks. Does anyone know of a diet pill that isnt stimulating and that really works?
Hi Rachel,

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. And, good for  you to be so proactive regarding your health.

I have a few suggestions. First of all, if you consider meds for the anxiety, etc, many people have had luck with welbutrin. It is the one anti-depressant (and we all know that anxiety and depression are interrelated) that does not seem to cause weight gain and in fact has been used by people who have various addictions. I am NOT saying that you have an addiction, but just thought that this might be a suggestion you could research.

I too would have recommended CLA awhile ago but recent studies have disputed the claims that it supports weight loss. In fact, they found that people were gaining weight using it. I threw mine out.

L-Carnitine is good by Acetyl-L-Carnitine is better, but pricier and different people will argue about the dose that will be most effective for fat burning, but it is a good amino acid supplement. I believe it is used frequently by people who need to boost their heart health. Christianne Northrup, MD, who wrote "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" and also "The Wisdom of Menopause" said in the menopause book that when she tried one of the poplular no carb, all protein diets, she did not have weight loss until she added L-Carnitine and even then she was surprised at how high a dose she needed for fat burning.

OK..next, I would suggest you pick up one of Northrup's books. Even though the Menopause book obviously deals with Menopause, it is chock full of information above and beyond menopause...Heck, I would pick up both books if possible. I got so much education from this woman. I am wondering if your progesterone level is out of whack. Expecially if you are breast feeding, you might not be ovulating, and that of course would mean you would not be getting the progesterone that you need. That would put you in Estrogen dominance. And, even though estrogen is not a bad thing, you don't want to have it unopposed. It is the balance that keeps us well. Do the research on this. It is sooo amazing.

I am not a doctor, but I promise I feel better now than when I was in my 40's. I recall when I started to suffer from anxiety myself and for me it seems that it was related to my hormones, particularly the lack of regular amounts of progesterone (perimenopausal women don't always ovulate, thus the release of progesterone is intermittent which causes the imbalance. Wish I knew then what I know now). After my surgical menopause seven years ago at age 47, it was not until after I added the bio Progesterone that I started to feel the anxiety subside.  I also use several other hormones and work hard to keep in balance. I do not use standard HRT.

I would suggest learning all you can so that you will know what to ask about if this is something you want to look into. Many doctors are not well versed in these hormones and  you might get a blank stare if someone thinks you are talking about Progestin, which is what happens when women ask for Progesterone...many think the woman means Progestin....it gets called Progesterone, but it is not the bioidentical kind, it is the synthetic kind and not kind to your body.

If you look into this, I don't know how fertility would be affected by the progesterone, so you would possibly want to check on this. You can get it over the counter, but I recommend you find a doctor familiar with it's use and get a script for it. A compounding pharmacist can fill it.Again, I am not a doctor, but you might want to research this. Being balanced also helps regarding weight issues.

The next suggestion is to pick up two books by Covert Bailey..."Fit or Fat" and also "Smart Exercise." I will leave it that these books, particularly "Fit or Fat" changed my life. I need to write to Dr. Bailey and tell him. He is retired now but you can get his books still.. Be sure to take measurements and check weekly. An inch lost is equal to a pound lost. Very motivating. And, you will feel great after learning how to work out properly...which you might certainly already know how to do, I don't mean to assume you don't, but I used Bailey's book to work out at home and I still do my work outs at home...saves going out and saves time of course.

If I think of anything else I will let you know. I will say that eating wise, the best luck I ever had was when I followed the principles explained by Suzanne Somers in her diet books. I have followed her advice for years with a bit of tweaking here and there. I need to get some weight off, but the weight gain if from reasons other than over eating...

Gotta go...for my work out actually. Take care and I wish you the best. I know how frustrating this can be, but you will be sucessful!

Mary
Hi again,

Sorry...I realized that I really did not answer your origional question. I will tell you that when I worked at the hospital, some of the doctors would suggest or prescribe something like Pepcin AC...but check with the doctor on this. It seemed to help control the appetite in some of the kids I worked with who were on medication that made them hungrier than normal. Other than that,  I am not well versed in the latest array of diet pill offerings. Years ago I was given Phentermine for a few months and it did help me, but not everyone wants to take that, nor should they, but my doctor was very comfortable prescribing it. My weight went up after I hit perimenopause and since I am the only family member without diabetes, my doctor and I work hard to keep my weight under control.

Have you looked into taking fish oil caps? They have found that they have such a calming effect on people. And, I worked with a kid last year who suffered depression and his doc wanted him to take 3 caps of fish oil a day. When I don't take it, I feel a difference myself. I also think, in my opinion, that it tames the appetite.

That's it for now,

Mary
Hi Mary,
You know, they have that Alli, which IS FDA approved, its the over the counter form of Orlistat. It supposedly blocks like 30% of the fat you consume. The catch is though, its only gonna work if you are eating healthy already. Its not free ticket to eat whatever you want.

I tried it for like 3 days and didn't like it, upset my stomach a bit. In the office I work at I've known patients who were on Orlistat and they had a lot of  success but they had complaints of diarrhea or spontaneous combustion so to speak!! lol  If you are staying home with your baby then that probably is ok for you.

Not sure if it negates some of the vitamins and nutrients in your food. Maybe you should do some research on it. I've never heard of anyone saying it gave them jitters. I dont think its a stimulant, its just a fat absorber.
about three weeks ago I started taking a new product that everyone at work was raving about. Zylene.
I'm dowm 15 pounds. Try it. The only thing you have to loose is the weight.

www.zylene.weebly.com
Hey, thanks Girleegirl...yes, forgot to mention Ali. Might be worth looking into for the person posting this question. Once you read how it works by blocking certain enzymes that digest fat and how the ingredients in Ali bind to the enzymes..it is interesting. And, you are right...it will only work well if you are following a good plan. I have used it occasionally and I did not have any problems. But, it did help as a reminder to pay very close attention to what I was eating, even though I do pay a ton of attention to what I eat....however, with Ali, not so wonderful side effects will occur even if you overeat carbs and protein as well as fats, I believe. I saved information on this and will double check, but I believe that is true.

Mary