Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Info on the Lap Band weight loss surgery

I'm looking for information on the "Lap Band" weight loss method. I guess I'm not looking in the right places on the net because all I'm finding are ads for doctors who do the procedure. I want info on it, not a commercial.
Has anyone out there had this procedure and if so, did it work?
I don't do the operation myself but I'm very familiar with it, and without doubt if I were going to have weight loss surgery, or refer someone for it, I'd choose lap band over bypass, for every possible reason: it's much safer, by far. The weight loss is not as rapid, but over time it's the same; in fact, there's more chance of long-term weight gain with bypass than with banding. It's adjustable; it's easily removeable, should that be necessary. It's cheaper. It can be done as an out-patient procedure (not every place does it that way, but there are some who've done many hundreds as out-patients.) The main advice is to find a surgeon who is very experienced with it; preferably one who does only weight-loss surgery, or at least who does lots of it.
Thanks doc! If I decide to go the surgical way, that will be the one I'll go.
http://www.chasefreedom.com/lapband.html
offers a good review of this procedure I copied it below....

"Lap-Band"
Information and Review

The Lap-Band is an inflatable banding system that is placed around the upper stomach to limit food intake in severely obese individuals. The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) gave BioEnterics' Inamed unit permission to market the Lap-Band in June 2001. However, recent concerns have surfaced regarding the safety of the medical device. Some doctors now think that the FDA's approval was premature.

The FDA's action approved Lap-Band for use only in patients at least 100 pounds overweight or patients who are at twice their ideal body weight and who have failed to lose weight by diet and exercise over an extended period of time. They did not want individuals who were looking for a quick weight loss surgery or were not previously under physicians care.

The FDA concedes that nearly 90% of the patients in a Lap-Band study experienced at least one of the following side effects: nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, heartburn and slippage of the band. Additionally, nearly 25% of the participants had the band removed due to such side effects or inadequate weight loss.

According to a four-year study of the first 36 users of Lap-Band, the primary reasons for removing the gastric device included infection, leakage, and band slippage.

The FDA approved Lap-Band based upon a comparison of its risks and benefits. Severely obese people are at serious risk of developing health problems such as hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease and diabetes.

Such a procedure should be reserved for the seriously obese with life threatening health problems. Taking weight loss out of your conscious decision making is a dangerous game to play with your body. It seems to me that if a person without life threatening health problems is this desperate to lose weight that they should be able to find the motivation to follow the sensible and inexpensive course of eating healthy and learning to add exercising to their daily life. Consult your doctor, and be honest with yourself: Have you really expended all your options?
Tiffc,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the devils advocate side of the Lap Band procedure.

But I DO NOT appreciate being lectured to by a total stanger who has no clue about my medical history or what I have or have not tried in an effort to lose weight! Who are you anyway? Are you a physician who specializes in weight loss? Because a person like that is the only person I will take a lecture from and only when he or she has full knowledge of my medical history.
I suggest you tone down your comments that you write in the future to other total strangers. I will dismiss your rude assumptions about me because I tend not to take ignorant comments personally. I realize that it is just ignorance. And I'm used to dealing with ignorant people. But someone out there that you write one of your rude assumptive comments to might not have such a thick hide as I do and you're going to hurt feelings that do not to be hurt.
You sound like a person who has never had a weight problem. I'm assuming that because of your once again ignorant comment about how if one has serious health problems due to obesity, then that should be enough motivation to lose the weight. That's not only ignorant, that's dumb.
Do all of us who are reading this a favor. Think before you write another comment to those of us who are on this website looking for educated information.
Kelly
I'm actually going to a seminar this evening with several surgeons in my area that perform the procedure. You may want to check your area for seminars. I'm looking forward to listening to what they have to say and gives an opportunity to ask questions.
Hi Sodeba,
Thanks! I got a packet from a group close by. I guess I'm primarily chicken to commit even to just a seminar. If you hear anything that you think we can use, can you let us in on it?
Thanks again!
Kelly