Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Low carb diet--not working.

I am writing this for my friend who has been on a low carb diet for 4 years. At first it worked to keep weight stable, but the minute carbs were added, weight went up. She has become more and more creative in preparing low carb meals--stays under 10 grams.
Her doctor advised her to start adding carbs--but she gained weight immediately.  Has she done damage to her metabolism? She mentioned a stomach staple, but she hardly eats anything--thus, would a stomach staple work?  She is about 60 lbs over weight at this time and only 4'10" tall.
This is causing a great deal of emotional stress for her and it is difficult for her friends and family.  I hoped she would get off the low carb diet, gain weight and then start a different diet--low calorie, maybe.
Is there any material that she could read that addresses these issues?  Can a low carb diet be detrimental in the long run?
I would believe some Carbs are important to the Diet. Slow releasing Carbs like oats and potatoes - so I can't say that low carb really is the answer for all.  For instance diabetics particularly Type 2 are encouraged to eat slow releasing carbs, in fact their diet is an interesting one - because a lot of Type 2 Diabetics are overweight - here a low fat diet is reccommended - and as I said carbs - like wholemeal bread, brown rice and wholewheat pasta - I am not saying that cutting carbs can damage you in the long term - but your friend should be thinking about new ways of looking at their diet if after 4 years they aren't getting the results.  One of the big research into Atkins found that Protein is burned quicker through the body - hence the weightloss without carbs - but when matched up against other diets like Weight watchers and low fat diets the weight loss was actually the same! I think it is horses for courses - some people adapt better to some regimes than others - After four years trying low carb - maybe your friend should try low fat with slow releasing carbs, cut out refined sugar - ready meals, salt, ( It comes in all sorts of things) eat plenty of veg, only a small portion of meat or fish or cheese - and drink plenty of water and take regular exercise - It sounds simple - but sometimes cutting Carbs is the easier option!!

Regards
Jane
I previously had lost over 25 pounds in 2002 by merely cutting down food intake and starting at a gym with aerobics and exercise 2-4 times a week.  My doctor was so worried about my losing weight that he said "eat anything" - just cut 500 calories out of my diet.  I drank lattes for breakfast and lunch, had conversations with my growling stomach quite often, and finally lost the weight.  Last summer I was a size four still.  Suddenly last Christmas, after I started eating more carbs in my diet, I suddently gained 35 pounds in my abdomen.  It hurt!  I have not been able to exercise due to an injury, so I could not shake the weight.  Now I am gearing up for another diet - studying carb counters and altering my favorite foods.  The best thing to do whether you use calories or carbs is to keep a journal and track every calorie/carb.  It really helps keep you conscious of your little excursions and forgetfulness of the snacks.  But really, after 4 years, you need to closely examine what you are doing. If you read carefully, all the great diets admit that what they are trying to do is to make you feel fuller so that you eat less calories.  I am not a doctor, but this is what the more serious literature says and even some of the diet book authors admit this in their books.  Bernstein, for instance, is the latest one that I can recall.  So, have them examine their diet and exercise against calories and intake/outgo charts before trying again.  

Hope this helps,

tumtum
Dear Carbie,

You haven't mentioned that What is your present weight & height. Also organic food,low carb diet can work up to some extent,and telling you one thing that weight loss process is heavily dependent on your eating habits & proper exercise as you can digest your food.See weight loss is not a fly by night process.As you gain your weight in years, It takes time. common weight loss mistakes are as follows:

(1) you have to fix your diet plan according to you(becuase u r obese) not according to a average person. this thing is often ignored by most of the people. because they follow a diet plan that is suitable for an average healthy man.
(2) not burning extra calories while exercising is another factor of why our weight loss efforts dies most of the time. For this you required spend extra time in the gym.
(3) avoid eating junk food, drinking caffeine. In the other words change your eating habits.
(4) Drink lot of water.
(5) Do a lot of execrcise & out door activities.

If you are extremly obese, you can take help of diet pill
phentermine,xenical(FDA approved prescription diet pills) etc. with proper execrcise.
But before using diet pill you take proper precaution:
http://www.buy-diet-pill-phentermine-online.com/phentermine_side_effects_precautions.html

Diet pills do help to control obesity and shed off the extra
pounds which you are uncomfortable with. If followed properly with a medical practitioner
CARBS ARE GOOD. just cut back on the calories :)
ive been doing atkins for 1 year, the weight has constantly kept coming of but then i went on holiday and didnt stick to the diet hence to say i pilled weight back on, since after the holiday i have went back on atkins diet but im losing no weight, i am doing every thing i should be the same as before the holiday but after 4 weeks im no lighter, please help before i give up.