Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Metformin and weight loss

I've been taking 500 mg/day of metformin.  Just wondering if any of you have taken this, and if so, have you experienced any weight loss?
I've been taking 500mg metformin myself and I have not experienced any weight loss. I am actually taking it for diabetes treatment. But it has not helped with my weight loss.
i do not take it but my mother has been taking it for her diabetes and yes she has lost about 30 pounds sinces going on it which is a good thing . good luck
I haven't had any experience with it YET.  But my endorcrinologist said that he believes i am Insulin Resistant, more blood tests will tell in a few weeks, and he may put me on Metformin... He did say it 'should' help with weight loss, i am stuck stuck stuck as of now... Please keep me posted on your progress!  Good Luck!
I take metformin for diabetes and in 2 months of taken it i have lost 30 pounds. Which was a great thing. But i also have cut back on what i eat. And i no longer am addicted to Dr.Peppers..lol..So weather it's the meds or my cuting back i'm not sure,but i have lost the wieght.
I am insulin resistant and have started taking 500 mg Metformin about 5-10 minutes before meals.This affects my appetite tremendously and makes me feel full. I have lost 12 pounds in about 3 weeks. I drive a truck at night and am very inactive.As I got very bored driving,my companion was "food".You know where that lead...lol. Learn to take your Metformin with food and I think you will see some weight loss.I experienced some stomach distress at first, but decided to stick it out.After a few days, my problems went away.Good luck!
I have been taking 500 mg metformin for about 6 years.   I think there may have been some initial weight loss but once my body got used to the medication I gained much of what I lost back again in a few years.   I think the initial weight loss occurred because my body wasn't used to the medication which resulted in any excess junk being removed from my body (meaning I had to go to the bathroom a lot, mostly runs).  

I think it took about 2 months before my body settled down I could lead a normal life without worrying about where the bathroom was.   but then I also made some changes to what I ate which also could contribute to the weight loss.    

I also take the medication for type 2 diabetes.  I also take glyburide for my diabetes.  

I would say that it is a 50/50 chance whether you would lose weight in the long run as the product wasn't designed as a weight loss product.  (but I'm not a doctor so your dr. might be able to tell you what to expect).