Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Metformin and weight loss

I've been taking 500 mg/day of metformin.  Just wondering if any of you have taken this, and if so, have you experienced any weight loss?
I am not diabetic either but was prescribed this med due to hormonal issues..I too have been having headaches!!! Which really ***** I think I will call my doc nad get myself off..it would be nice to get some weight off but I dont know if its worth it or not!  Hey where can i get that book skinny*****? Let me know!
To update, I've been taking Metformin since 4/1, prescribed due to high blood sugar, which dr. described as prediabetic. As of 7/9, my last appt., I had lost 26 pounds and my blood sugar was normal. Yea! I've been taking 2000 mg per day, 500mg at breakfast and lunch, 1000 mg at dinner. My Dr. told me to cut back to just 500mg 2x each day to try and maintain. Honestly, I don't feel the Metformin is helping me lost weight anymore, at first it made me not hungry, or at least I could eat a small meal and feel satisifed, now it seems I'm hungry all the time again, and sugar cravings are back. I'm going to keep trying to lose a little more, with good old willpower, but still take the Metformin at the lower dose, maybe it will help me at least not gain any weight. Good luck to all.
I just started taking Met 500mg 3 days ago. I'm feeling the side effects but I am so ready to start losing weight. I have PSOS and Hypothyroidism. I felt like my body was going crazy. I 5'2 and 200 pds. I can't wait to get back to where I was. I really hope I start seeing weight loss then maybe I can start doing things again.
Hi.

I just went to my dr today; Complained of weight gain AGAIN.  He put me on Metformin.  I am so hoping this helps me.  I have major depression, anxiety, Ocd and ADHD.  the meds I'm on won't let me loose weight. I have been watching what I eat and working out on my elliptical 3 to 5 days a week and NO weight loss.  I hope this works.  I feel so fat!!!
well its been a month now on Metformin I only lost five pounds i guess i have to hit the gym more.
My gyno tested my fasting insulin levels 6months ago and determined I have high insulin resistence, and am pre diabetic. He prescribed Metformin 750mg ER 24hr.  I have decided to take it 1 month ago and noticed I have lost weight in my belly, an inch or two, but have not offically weighed myself yet.

I researched this medicine before i took it and found there is a diet that helps with the medicine.  It's called the insulin resistence diet.  There is a book that gives GREAT INFORMATION about how to eat with that condition.  It's called the insulin resistence diet book.  It doesn't give you any gimmicks.  It tells you how your body works, what you can do to trigger maintainable weight loss and it even tells you how to work out, what to work out with, and gives you a guide on what to buy at fast food resturants and grocery stores, along with recipes.

I'll let you know my results after my weigh in with the doc in the next two weeks.
I was diagnosed with Diabetes a week ago with an A1c of 8.6  My dr.  immediately put me on Metformin.  I started today, literally took the first 500mg pill an hour ago and my stomach is already upset.  I took the pill after my 2nd bite of eggs with some O.J.  When do you guys take yours?
I have been on Metformin (500mg 2x per day) for a week and am now convinced that I need to take it AFTER I eat a whole meal because it gives my stomach time to settle with the food that I've eaten- since I've been doing this, it doesn't upset my tummy and I don't get any headaches. My doctor has directed me to take a pill with breakfast and dinner.
Hi all. I just went to my ob/gyn today and she said I have pcos. I'm almost 19 years old. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 125 pounds so I was wondering if I would lose any weight because I am already relatively thin. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Hey!! I am 30yr old and was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2002/2003 after the birth of my first child ( I was 21-22 years at the time). I went to my GP because my Mensus cycle was non existant and/or irregular and I had acne, excess hair and the GP got me to have a scan and it came back, that the scan clearly showed that I had polycystic ovaries (chain of pearls, as the dr referred to it as) and the hormone tests I also did at the time showed there was an large imbalance. Everything pointed to PCOS and Insulin Resistance, so I got diagnosed by the GP and told a few things about it and sent on my way. I just went on with my normal life because I was not significantly overweight at the time and never really knew  or understood the true impact or seriousness of the syndrome until recently. So years later I went on to having a 2nd child while being on the pill (because my cycle was regular) without even trying. 32 weeks into the pregnancy I ended up in a critcial condition in hospital with a rare form of pre-eclampsia (HELLP Syndrome) and due to the life or death situation I had to deliver my son 7weeks early. I almost lost my life and my son could've lost his without the quick acting doctor that made the decision to deliver my son early after my health rapidly declined and my blood pressure shot up to stroke levels. Everything panned out well (luckily) and after realising what had happened I did some research and realised there is a proven link between PCOS and Pre-eclampsia during pregnancy. I had no idea!!! Anyway I am now struggling to lose the weight, and get back to having a regular a mensus cycle and to control my sugar and insulin levels  after being on implanon for 3.5yrs (to ensure no pregnancy until I decided if I wanted another child) I had no period at all on implanon. I went to a OB/GYN recently and told him my story and he has started me on 500mg of Metformin (normal release) a day (evening - straight after dinner) and I have been on it for 8 days now and have had no side effects. I am trying my hardest to excercise 4-5times a week and eat Low GI Foods and drink atleast 2 Ltrs of water a day. I want to up my dose ( with OB/GYN approval) to one and a half tablets a day and see how I go with that then increase it to 2 tablets a day. I am yet to weigh myself as I want to wait a while before I weigh myself again so that I can see some differences rather then doing it daily. I want to conceive asap but not sure how long it'll take if I stress about it so I'm trying to just lose the weight at the moment and waiting for my Mensus cycle to re establish itself.
Can I take metformin even am not diagnosed with diabetes?

I have been on metformin for six months (for weight loss) with little change in my exercise.  I have lost 24 pounds.  at one point I didnt take it for several weeks, and hadn't gained any back.  some have complained of little or no results in the first week, if you began the way I was told which was a low dose the first week and increasing till at full dose...  this allows your body to get used to the medication and keeps the side effects down.  the side effects do go away.  and back to those wondering why no results right away... as I upped my dose the weight slowly started coming off!  it was about 6 months in that I made it down the 24 pounds, but this is my fault could exercise more....  doc tells me its safe to lose weight more quickly for my age, but I am comfortable at this rate, I'm more worried about losing it to quickly and gaining it back.  this slow and steady has given me the opportunity to make positive lifestyle changes that I can live with instead of getting sick of.
Just started the metformin today. Will see...I was told that the hypoglycemia and ammenorhea that I was diagnosed with 30 years ago was really probably PCOS and IR (hyperinsulinemia) Started taking tin hopes of warding off diabetes down the road.  Curious to see the impact on weight. Have always kept to a minimal caloric intake and exercised like crazy - 1000 calories and running over 50 miles  week. STILL had weight gains. *sigh*
I started taking Metformin 500mg twice daily, In the beginning it made me feel like death warmd up, that was almost 2 years ago but up untill today I haven't lost 1kg, is it because the dose is too low or what? It is truely frustrating, and dont know what to do? Is there any help out there?  Maybe someone can tell me what's up!!! Even on the merformin I'm gaining weight!! SO what now??? Please help!!
I am 29 and I have IR, Fibromyalgia and just recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am 5'2 and at my heaviest now at 215lbs. I have tried everything including low/no carb diets, 1200 calorie diets, even hired a personal trainer... not only have I not been able to lose weight, I have actually still been gaining. After my next set of test results come back, my dr wants to put me on Metformin. Thank you for sharing all of your stories. I am alittle nervous about starting it but also very excited that maybe this will let all my other efforts actually do something. I am not looking for a miracle pill, just something to help my body function properly. I appreciate any advice anyone has. Should I go on a low/co carb diet with this medication? Does anyone else have Fibromyalgia as well?
I just want to know are you eating a specific diet for the weight loss?  I am starting on my 3rd week and if I don't eat a fulfilling meal my stomach cramps so bad and diarrhea starts.
I started the diet on   August 8th

Lost 37.5 pounds in 7 weeks

That's   5.36 pounds per week ....

That's a lot quickly ...so I have been slowing down ...for the first 2 weeks ..I did zero carbs ..then realized I need some carbs so I switched to eating subs from subway ..one a day ...or half in the am and half in the pm ...and peanuts when I was hungry ..not to many ...I guess jerrid had a good Idea with the subway thing cause I feel satisfied now ..

Good luck to all !
I started the diet on   August 8th

Lost 37.5 pounds in 7 weeks

That's   5.36 pounds per week ....

Good luck to all !
My doctor put me on metformin this past Tuesday, told me to take 500mg at night for a week or so, and if no significant side effects, up it to 1000 after that. With no change in routine at all, I've been steadily gaining weight since my early/mid 20's, although I did get on depo provera around that time, and weight loss is supposed to be a side effect of that. When I went to the doc on Tuesday, my weight was at 171.5, today I'm down almost 5 pounds, not taking into account the difference between the scale at the doctor's office and mine at home... I exercise a couple of times a week and try not to eat complete junk, although I will have my pizza and Chinese lunch binges at work occasionally. Does cutting carbs really help with weight loss on metformin? I won't lie, I'm a pasta addict, but I have switched to whole grains/brown rice/etc since it's healthier, and I actually think it tastes better too.

I'm hoping the side effects die off soon - I've definitely noticed a loosening in the bowels, but it's nothing I can't deal with at this point. Hopefully the weight loss will be worth it.
hello everyone,over the last year i gained a lot weight during my pregnancy and now my son is 7 month i really didnt loose that much,i starved myself and i kept drinking soup for weeks,i lost 2 kilos that's it,finally i decided to do some blood tests the dr told me i have high insulin,and that i should take the glucophage 500 mg 1st after every lunch then if i felt ok after dinners and later on after breakfast for 3 months,he told me i might not be able to continue it most woman start taking medicine to reduce the pain,im really scared