Metformin and weight loss

I've been taking 500 mg/day of metformin.  Just wondering if any of you have taken this, and if so, have you experienced any weight loss?
I was prescribed Metformin when I was diagnosed with PCOS.  It made me deathly ill... it doesn't effect everyone that way but I know quite a few that it does.  I took it with food, before food, after food, with bread, with Tums AND food and on and on.  LOL  I am now going to try the hcg injection for weight loss as well as the fact that I've read it helps with the PCOS symptoms, excessive facial hair etc.

I know one friend that had great luck with losing weight on Metformin.  She agreed that the first couple weeks she lost weight because she lived in the bathroom but after that she continued to lose.  She accredits a lot of that also to the fact that after her body regulated to the Metformin she felt better and was better able to get some exercise and it helped with the emotional eating she'd done because she began to physically feel better.

From my understanding Metformin is not prescribed as a weight loss drug, that is just a positive effect some people see.  Metformin is used for the treatment of diabetes and severe PCOS only--just from what I've been told.  I would be a little concerned about someone giving you a drug that effects your insulin levels purely to lose weight.

However... if it works YIPPEE SKIPPY.   If it works and doesn't have any negative side efffects WOOHOO.  This coming from a woman who's been thin all her 39 years then had two major shoulder surgeries, "got" PCOS and arthritis within a year and woke up in a FAT SUIT with the zipper stuck on it!!!  :-)~
metformin has been a life saver for me !......Ihave lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks.I am inuslin resistant and have pcos

nancy
My MD has me on a low-carb diet and I am walking 1-2 miles daily and mild exercies which I think is a great help..I have lost 18 pounds in about 6 weeks... I now have more energy .....I have suffered form PCOS for 16 years and thought there was no hope, but now that I know I am unsulin resistant and there is a help with metformin and I can help by controling my  diet and exercise  I feel revived !!....but you must have a mind set to do it, and stick with it no matter how discouraged you get ....follow your MD's advice and I think you will see good results, I have

Nancy Graves
I think that's AWESOME!!!  I wish that my body could have tolerated the Metformin but it just couldn't.

I am going to a Bariatric Doctor today at 1:30 and am going to discuss hcg and how it relates to PCOS.  I've heard from a couple people that it has actually helped some of the symptoms of it which kind of makes sense to me since it is a disease directly related to the female reproductive system and the hcg is derived from the hormone juiced urine of pregnant women.  

Weight loss would be AWESOME if it worked for me (the hcg) but I would be just as thrilled if it were to help some with say the facial hair.  And the hcg will be cheaper each month than the pill I take (it's a water pill but is supposed to help with the hair, Spironlactone or something like that, don't have the bottle in here) and the Vaniqua I use!!

Keep up the good work!!
What dosage of metformin are you on?
Metformin update... I just got back from the Dr. getting my first hcg injection.  We discussed at length my PCOS and history of problems with Metformin.  She explained to me in detail some different issues with Metformin generics, different compounds etc and explained exactly how it should be taken.  I'm going to try it again based on her guidelines and see if my body can take it.  She said that not only will it help my PCOS (which I knew) but that she had had really good results in her patients with weight loss so I'm willing to give it another try...

Fingers crossed!
let's try this again, I started taking metformin on friday, I need to loose at least 30lbs, I hope it works, I feel so tired and dizzy but mostly tired, then again I am thinking I have a 5 year old boy and a 2 year old girl. anyway even if I loose 15lbs with it I'll be happy, wish me luck, I guess we will see how it goes.
meabdeslam
i am on 500my morning and night
hope you can get someting to work for ya...as of today  (11-19-07) I have lost 19 pounds and feel good. Metformin doesnt seem to bother me that much, just an occousional tummy ache when I dont eat food with it so I would suggest everyone who is on it to take it with meals . I see my MD again on DEC. 20 so by then I hope to reach a goal of 25 pounds. I am walking 2-3 miles daily and I really thinks that help boose the metabolism  but finding the time to do it is the hard part when I work long hours at the hosp. I am thrilled at my weight loss, now if it helps regulate my cycles I would be happy
Hi, I'm new to this forum (thrilled with the information).  I've been on 850mg of metformin with breakfast for 2 weeks....my appetitie and cravings have disappeared.  I haven't yet gotten on the scale (tomorrow with trainer). ....previously i can work out with wts. and 4 hour of hard cardio and hopefully lose a pound a month!

I do eat 3X a day, but not to excess anymore.  i guess the real test will be Thanksgiving.

I'm borderline insulin resistant, this seems to be what I need.....will post results if anyone wants to hear.
I started on the Metformin today following the guidelines the Dr. gave me... so far so good.  I know the first time I took it I was sick within an hour and today I've not felt anything other than a headache but honestly I think that's due to my insomnia and not going to bed until 6AM this morning and getting up at 8AM...

It seems that people that can tolerate it have had success with it.  I'm doing okay with the hcg shots so I mainly hope the Metformin will help with the PCOS.

Also, Metformin is being used for a weight loss aid I guess in people with stress issues.  I live an amazingly high stress life (not enough room on the internet to go into that one) and have learned that when your body is enduring constant high stress, it causes your liver (? pretty sure it was liver) to produce an excess of enzymes and insullin to give your muscles the "strength" to cope with the physical side effects of stress.  A natural defense mechanism but a real wammy for someone with PCOS and insullin resistance.  I'm hoping it helps that issue too.  

I'd love to hear how you're doing with the 25 pound goal.

Even though I weigh 207 lbs I'm very fortunate that it's distributed itself well so I really don't look like the typical 207 lb person.  I still have ten inches between my waist and hip measurements, have a voluptuous "upper body" (tmi I know lol) which balances my hips and I'm 5'9" so I carry the weight okay.  But even with that porportion, I am totally disgusted with a size 18 and 207 lbs so my goal is more of a size than a weight.  I'm working back toward a size 10/12... I'm hoping to be there by March when I turn FORTY...
I recently started taking metformin for weight loss on Nov. 24th. Doc says I'am borderline diabetic and need to lose weight. The drug was prescribed to help with the weight loss. However she stressed that you still need to watch your diet and exercise. I have been doing this for a long time but kept going up and down with my weight. I am 5 4" and currently weigh 235.5. I weigh in every Tuesday and after 4 days I lost 3 pounds. I am now starting to take the meds 2 xs a day so it will be interesting to see what happens next week. You mentioned you would like to get to know someone for support. I would also like this and think it would be helpful. I know this is my battle and I have to get it done to live a happy healthy life. It is finally time to put myself first!!! Hope to hear from you so we can support eachother.
I just started taking metformin for weight loss ( pre-diabetic). Is it reasonable to expect that I could lose 40 pounds by Christmas??? Along with watching my diet and exercising ofcourse. That would be truly awesome. That is in about 5 weeks.
i have pcos and i take metforin to treat this. when i first started, i did loose lots of weight but i had massive side effects. mainly nausia, headaches, and at times d&v. i find i have to take it at specific times or the side effects are much worse. the weight loss was sudden but it no longer sems to effect weight loss or gain. if you are planning to take this drug specifically for weight loss, be aware that side effects are pretty debilitating and that it is not really a sustainable option. can any enlighten me on the effects of adderall/provgil and metforin?
the nausia and headaches & vomiting haven't bothered me so far. I do  need to keep close to the bathroom which is a very typical side effect of the med. I know I need to watch my diet to really get the best results along with exercise. This gets easier with weight loss so the met is helping me to get more active. I am concerned about firming my body up after the weight is gone, especially the stomach area. I do ab work and workout with light weights to help with this.
I have been
I have been prescribed metformin for insulin and pcos. Do I have to take this all my life.
I gather you have diabetes if you take met for insulin. I plead ignorance, I do not know what pcos stands for. I am sorry you have to take it for the rest of your life.
I have been taking respirdal since 2004 and it has left me with a considerable weight gain I am now 100kg 220 pounds. and considered obese, I am looking in to met and have been researching it a lot the last few days. This site is very helpful and will look forward to finding out more as the time goes on. I do not have diabetes but I have had an increased appetite from the meds I am on, does anyone know if MET will help to decrease my weight?

- Kat  
As of Dec. 5 I have lost 23 pounds !..I am almost to MY goal of 25 lbs. With the holidays coming I am sure I am bound to slip alittle but that means walking alittle more each day I guess. I see the MD again on 12/20 so we will see how the metformin is helping with my insulin resistance and my PCOS. I have not had a"normal" resuming of my cycle though since starting the metformmin so this will be an issure to discuss with my MD again. I feel good overall and the weight loss seems to be "all over" my body, not just in one particuliar area which is good I guess. I am in a smaller size jeans now...that was thrill !