Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Metformin and weight loss

I've been taking 500 mg/day of metformin.  Just wondering if any of you have taken this, and if so, have you experienced any weight loss?
I was diabetic but i had bariatric surgery and about 48 hours later my blood sugar levels went down to a normal range. I still take metformin to help with weight loss. It works! Its been 2 and a half months since the surgery and ive lost 55 pounds. Pretty much a pound a day. I know that surgery and meds are scary. But i believe the most important thing in life is your health. You can stop taking metformin once your blood sugar levels go back to normal. I chose to take it because it really helps with weight lose. And i have not gotten nausia or diarea. I actually stopped taking met for a few days just to see if i was losing weight because of the surgery, and my lifestyle change or the met. The three days i stopped taking it i lost no weight. Once i started taking met again i was losing 1 pound a day its awesome.
I have been weighing 96 KG at a height of  6'10" since almost 20 years.I had TIA stroke in December 2010. My diabetese medicine was changed from Pioglar + Metformin 500 twice a day to Janumet(Januvia+ Metformin) 50+1000 twice a day in around March 2011. I have since lost about 15 KG.I have been facing problems of indigestion and constipation from time to time. Although weight loss is most welcome for me, but I will not like to lose further weight.  Is indigestion and constipation associated with taking of Metformin ?  
Hi everyone,

I really feel for all of you having to resort to all these meds to lose weight and be healthier.  Both my parents are overweight and I have seen my cousins and siblings heading in that direction.  I was "vain enough" to always monitor my weight since high school, but always fluctuated between 140-150 even with all my efforts. (I am 5'4").  I worked out 5 days a week (mostly 1 hour of intense cardio) and kept a detailed daily food journal where I documented every single calorie I consumed and tried not to go over 1200-1400 calories per day.  And still, the best I could do with this strict regimen is go down to 140 pounds!

Then, when I started dating again after a bad breakup I really wanted to look good (i.e get thin), I started eating very little and working out even more and was able to get down to 130 pounds, however, I knew this was not sustainable and after 1 single vacation I almost gained all the weight back.  Since then I read like a million diet books and gave Paleo a try.  I have been on it for a year now and I have been able to easily keep my weight between 117-124 pounds, without calorie counting.  I am very happy I stumbled upon it.  I don't work out very much at the moment because I need to find a new gym, maybe like 1-3 times per week, but I was getting even leaner when I was doing CrossFit and I felt amazing.  I recommend Paleo for everyone!  My mom is on it and lost 20 lbs and my sister 15 pounds.  I do have my cheat days every week, so I don't feel like I'm totally deprived, but I am always on a watch out for the evil carbs and prefer to satisfy my appetite with veggies, high quality animal protein, and some fruit.
Could you tell me what Paleo is
I started metformin about 2 years ago due to PCOS and they told me it was going to be very hard to get pregnant... Well guess what I now have a 10 month old.. At first after having my son my periods and everything was great. Then it was like one day everything changed. My periods stopped I started gaining weight in my mid section, my face broke out horrible and all around felt horrible.  Went back to my gyno  and he said my pcos was back with a vengeance.  So I started metformin again 850mg 3x's a day along with birth control to regulate my periods.. I'm hoping it's going to help with the weight too...  It's just nice to know I'm not the only one with these issues..   :)
Hello everyone thanks so much for yr comments,Oct 2011 i was borderline my Doctor put me on 500 mg metformin, The first week i lost 7 lbs, coming on to the second week, I really don't what went wrong instead of losing the weight i find my eating more than i ever ate before. I have always a healthy lifestyle, i don't use salt or sugar, and have never indulged in junk food, I took some pictures in late November and was astonished how fat my face looked.i have 3 children and maintain my weight even having my kids, after my babies the next week i was in my regular clothes, now i really don't know what is happening to me i am always hungry, and i have to eat or else i feel a big headache is coming on. Does any one ever has his problem instead of losing  weight i am putting it on. I do eat any way different than before, but since i start taking the merformin i am always hungry. HELP HELP HELP.
hi everyone i was reading all the posts and i have to say that im 22 years old and i have thyroid and i also have pcos i have been taking metformin 500mg twice daily for 5 months now and well ive only lost about 9lbs its so stressful knowing that that ive had thyroid for 2 years now and pcos for about 6 months and im taking medication doing all i can and still cant loose weight i used to be 135lbs before thyroid and now i am 185.6lbs :( i dont know how people are doing it but i cant loose weight with met. my specialist doesnt seem like she really wants to give me anything else for me to take so i can loose weight im really just about to give up.
I was recently diagnosed with PCOS & my doc prescribed Met for me today...I was considering bariatric surgery because my weight was so HIGH(414) & I just couldn't stop eating!  I have been exercising and eating well and have lost 31 lbs. In two & half months...it took me forever to get pregnant...finally at 37 had my daughter (Thanking God for this Blessing!) I'm hoping the Met will help with my insatiable appetite!  Lots of great info here!  Thanks!  Will let you know about progress! :-)
I was told I was borderline diabetic and if my Hemoglobin A1C went up two more points i would be considered a full diabetic.  I was significantly over weight and considered doind gastric bypass surgery.  I have been taking 1000mg a day of metformin for about a year now.  I started at 298 pounds and I am down to 247 pounds.  My husband did not want me to do surgery so I opted to lose weight myself.  I honestly feel the Metformin helped me acheive it.  My A1c has lowered by 2 whole points and I am feeling great.  I am still working on losing 50 more pounds.  My fasting levels used to be 124 now down to 94.  I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am hoping that  the metformin will help with that as well because I am 37 and we would like one more child.  Hope this gives hope to anyone starting metformin and concerned about their weight.
Hi there all... I have lost a fair bit of weight since 30/12/09 to present day... In June 2010 I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2... I was put on a drug trial... Byetta 5cgu in the morning and the evening dosage with combination of metaformin xr 500x2 in the evening total 1000mg.. I was weighing around or over 115kg at the time and now today I weigh around 90kg... I feel fantastic and my diabetes is under control... I know there has been great medical trials and new drugs around.. I even experienced a period of time on a drug called janumet which work as well.. But this current treatment is working fabulously
Hi Everyone ,

I was diagonised with PCOS and IR in Dec 2011. My doctor adviced me that I am prediabetic. I have gained 12 kgs of weight in the year 2011. I was very let down and didn't know what to do. Glad that My Doctor has found out what is wrong with me.She has prescribed me Metformin 1x 500mg per day.I started taking the medicine on Jan 1st 2012 and i have lost 2.5kgs in one week. i was 72kgs on Dec 24th 2011 and I was 69.5 kgs on Jan 8th 2011. I hope the medicine helps me lose weight and also will help me with PCOS and IR. I have given up sugar, full cream milk , rice, pasta and desserts. I am having oats , whole meal bread, fruits and steamed vegies these days.

I have also decided to walk for 30 mins a day and slowly add other exercises to my routine.

I wish everyone goodluck on your weightloss journey and hope we can all have our PCOS and IR problems rectified soon.

Never give up hope and always follow a healthy diet and good exercise routine. Stay positive.

We can make it happen!!! GOODLUCK.

Best wishes
+attitude
Metforman works in weightloss by making your body more insulin sensative. In other words it curbs your appatite. Since metformin doesn't lower insulin you can safely take up to 2000 mg per day with your Dr.s concent
My doctor told me i am border line and put me on Met 500 per day the first week i lost 7 lbs then i gain it back, i don't eat sweets, fried foods, drink soda or coffee, I drink lots of water and watch what i eat carefully, I have been like this for years, no junk food, no alcohol nor sweets, now i am hungry every half an hour and i have to eat because i feel very hungry and dizzy, I don;t know what to do i am even afraid to weigh myself because i know that i have gain weight i used to weigh 110-115 all my life and having 3 kids i weigh the same amount i really don't know what is going on in my body, I am getting very depressed and don't want to go out in public. PLEASE GUYS IF YOU know about anything please help me, i am going back to my doctor, in a few weeks and i am scare, i am now take 500 in the morning and 500 at dinner but still hungry. Help please.
Split your first pill of the day in half take the first half after you have eaten and the second half abot an hour later that really helps but you have to start slowly otherwise you wwill alwsays fill sick!
ty I just starteds taking this pill 500mg twice  DAY,Ididnt see any side effects saing you lose weight,I was wondering why?And did you lose any more weight,since then?
Hi, I've been reading comments on this thread until my eyes blurred late last night and was wondering whether you've continued to experience post meno-hell periods -- assuming you're still on met. Also, did anyone reply to your question?  I could easily have missed it.  I'm 56,turning  57 in April, post meno-hell some years ago, and I'm about to begin taking met.  If it helps me lose weight I'll buy more tampons and suffer through some periods for a while.  I, quite unexpectedly, had a one night period a couple years ago, had to "borrow" a tampon from my neighbor, and bought some just in case.  It hasn't happened since.  

Until age 50 I weighed around 110.  (I'm 5'4-- more accurately 5'3 & 3/4")  I wore size zeros, some of which had to be taken in at the side seams.  I went on a cruise with my mom & sister when I was 49 and looked better in my bikinis than the vast majority of much younger women.  Over the next couple of years I began gaining a little weight, not unexpected at my age, but still managed to take it off by cutting back on my already paltry calorie intake.  Then, over the last 5-6 years, I began gaining weight rapidly regardless of how little I eat.  Walking/jogging 2-3 miles/day did NOTHING to help me take any off so I became fed up and stopped.  During the last two years my weight gain has been fast and relentless.  A normal day's food intake for me has petered off to one lean chicken breast or fillet of fish for dinner and my cup of hot chocolate (lowfat milk) at bedtime.  Knowing I need to eat something for breakfast I have a small piece of low fat cheddar cheese when I remember.  I have no appetite and often forget to eat.  When I do I force myself to choke it down.  I've continued to gain 2-5 lbs./month.  I've gone from a 110 lb. size zero to a 150 lb. size ten and counting.  I've been going up one clothing size/year.

Some background.  I have a wonderful psychiatrist through a non-profit mental health clinic who is treating me for depression and PTSD.  I've suffered from both for decades, it's a long, ugly story.  The antidepressant I take NEVER caused weight gain in the past but things change.  I'm positive I'm hypothyroid but since I don't have insurance I'm forced to go to free clinics.  I have every hypothyroidism symptom on the "official" list (except problem periods and inability to become pregnant--DUH!)  Drs at the free clinic are volunteers, mostly residents, patients never see the same one twice.  Some agree I am hypo and prescribe levo--synthroid, others disagree.  They weigh me on each visit and my weight continues to increase.  When I express my concern about how fat I've become they dismiss it.  Obviously, THEY THINK, I'm lying about how little I eat.  One young male POS resident told me to RUN 5-6 miles/day.  When I was his age I DID RUN.  My knees can't handle it anymore.  I know several also OLD people who haven't become FAT because of age and they're less active than me.

Fasting forward.  My psychiatrist recently ran my labs and said my THS--thyroid stimulating hormone-- is slightly high but within range.  I reminded her that less than two weeks earlier the last inept resident I saw took me off levo because my TSH was very low.  She was shocked it has risen so quickly and so much and told me to resume taking the levo.  She is limited in the kind of meds she can prescribe because of clinic rules but can prescribe levo if the stooges at the free clinic refuse.  Aside from the increase in my TSH my labs, BP and EKG are excellent.  My blood sugar tends to be on the high side most of the time.  

Getting to my point and decision.  I REFUSE to continue gaining weight.  At this rate I'll reach 200 lbs. within six months.  I feel like I've been swallowed by a whale.  This weight is EXTREMELY uncomfortable for me and I cannot afford to buy larger sizes every few months.  I refuse.  Just because most women here in OklaRedneckHoma are morbidly obese does NOT mean I will accept that as my lot in life.  So, having done extensive research on various options, I've decided to try metformin.  I ordered some online a few days ago.  I CAN'T WAIT until it arrives!   Granted, I'm not a medical professional; I'm an attorney with top-notch research skills.  I intend to begin slowly, the way other posters have, and increase the amount in increments.  I may or may not be pre-diabetic because of this weight gain but it's only a matter of time if it continues at this rate.  Fortunately, I have experience with diabetes, my dog is diabetic; I give her insulin injections twice/day and know the signs to watch for if she begins to exhibit signs of low blood sugar.  Thankfully, after four years of injections she's never experienced a low.  I do not intend to tell my psych or the free clinic I'm self-medicating but I'll be able to monitor myself using the labwork they run.  Time will tell if met is the answer.  I think being prescribed the PROPER med for hypothyroid would help immensely, and I also ordered some of it online, but first I'm giving met a chance.  

I will let you know if it causes me to resume having periods; please let me know how you're doing also.  It disgusts me that the majority of physicians adopt a blame the patient mindset when we've been struggling to lose weight.  NO, we are NOT over-eating, nor are we sedentary couch potato gluttons lying about how little we eat; this IS a medical problem.  I've lost respect for medical professionals as a whole because they refuse to treat the patient's symptoms they only treat lab results and blame us for the rest.  
I am in my 30's and have been dealing with symptoms from excessive hair growth, hyperpigmentation, and debilitating periods since my teens. In my 20's, I started to experience severe joint pain, lethargy, and now in my 30's, edema and severe weight gain (almost 10 pounds since November). When I say that I eat well and exercise, it is at the point of ridiculuous. I never eat white sugar, white flour, or hydrogenated fats. I can count on one hand the amount of fried anything that I have eaten in the past year. I have pretty much stopped eating bread and cereal and eat rice only occassionally. I have been exercising non-stop since November and have been steadily gaining weight, it has gotten so much worse and is SO frustrating.
I have had a battery of tests on my thyroid, ANA, testosterone, glucose, insulin, cholesterol etc...I always have strange TSH levels and very elevated testosterone, but my cholesterol and gluose/insulin are great. I also have tons of autoimmune related problems in my family. One doctor will tell me "you're tests are strange, let's do that again," and when the next lab is normal, they dismiss me. I was even put on an anti-depressant for awhile which made all of this WORSE! I was like a ghost in my own body and felt terrible.
Finally, today on the recommendation of a dear friend, I went to a doctor who actually listened. He did a battery of blood tests but said he would put me on Glucophage regardless and then we could discuss the labs when they returned and what to do from there. Talk about relief! I am looking forward to not only losing weight, but feeling better and actually getting a handle on these problems that have now plagued me for over 1/2 my life....I know my body and I am glad that some else realized that too.
I have Fybro, and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Am on a diabetic diet and just started Metforman 500mg. I am loosing weight now as before it was difficult. I have not had trouble with tummy trouble but do my diarrhea. Cutting back to 1x after dinner. I take nothing for my Fybro because nothing works. 12 pounds down now and am taking baby steps on exercising. I am going to start back on water therapy at the local YMCA. Tree times a week, low impact for Arthritis. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info and congrats on getting some relief from your fibromyalgia. I know there is a stigma with that condition from working in the medical field, but I also know first hand the hell people go through trying to understand it and feel better. I hope that in the near future the medical community can get a handle on that illness so many don't have to suffer uneccesarily from a poorly treated and understood condition.

I started the Metformin Rx on Monday and have had little side effects so far, other than some back aches and fatigue.I have an appt. with my physician next Thursday to discuss my labs and futher treatment. I am excited to move forward. Hopefully, since I am newly married, this will also save me some of the frustration and agony of conception and/or miscarriage as we plan to start trying in the next year.