Weight Loss Alternatives Community

THE #1 THING IN WEIGHT LOSS

This is from my monthly newsletter I out out..just in time for you my friends here !

In many popular diet books, especially low carb programs,
I wish all of your posts were as eloquent and to-the-point as this letter is. There are no grammar mistakes and no excessive use of
thanks for taking the time to type that- kinda just bringing it down to the most basic fundamentals. We get caught up in a the new stuff and...and i agree this side of your "posts" was more civil but i also, even though i am new, see you have been fighting the fight against some of these hot buttons for some time and can't see why ppl still want to try these things. You seem like you don't want to give up but your over the re-education in each and every new post-

I myself have opted to go the long way around... at least for a week or two. I was gonna start with a dr. and b12 shots/ diet/ plan but i went to gnc got some b12 tabs and every night this week have walked a little further than the night before.  I have blisters on my feet and ware marks in uncomfortable places but not one soda all week and between 60 and 100 oz of water every day- and finding out veggies don't induce vomiting lol

still my end up at the fat doctor because so many ppl at work are successful with this guy but... not until this pain goes away and i commit to the exercise.

thanks again for taking the time
no matter what they claim..or there sales pitch..the only true way to get B-12 in your system...is injections..our body reject and flush out most other kinds..if you must take capsules or pills..or even under the tongue..tkae small amounts every few hrs...since with in 2-3 hrs mkost B-12 is flushed out..hope mthis helps..
1 more thing.. one of the biggest scams in the world is diet soda ! do not fall for it...its been proven over and over (if you know where to look) that in in fact not only makes you more hungry..but the chemiclas will make you fat...good luck to you..drink
water
selzter water
green tea ,hot or cold
crystal light
flavored water
Hold on to your hats folks, I am about to agree with fightu35.  Diet sodas are very bad for you. Even those that say 0 calories, and 0 carbs, etc.  The chemicals and sodium in diet sodas is very detrimental to your health.

However, if you find that you just cant live without your soda, and you just cant make it without one in your day, there is one soda that isn't "as bad" for you as the rest.   Its a brand called Diet Rite.
Now, I do not recommend soda at all, but if you must drink one a day to get by, this would be the smarter choice. Because it has no sugar, and no sodium.  

Everything in moderation, so if you must drink a soda, try to keep it to one a day. Pick a meal or a time that you feel would best suit your craving for that soda.

Also, please remember to drink your water. One of the biggest drawbacks in overall health, is the lack of proper water consumption. Preferably you need to drink at least 60 ounces per day. Drinking the recommended water each day will wash out the fat and toxins in your body. It will help restore your body to a more natural state.
However, do not over do it either. You can retain water if you drink too much, and this will devastate those who weigh themselves often and feel they are not losing weight.

If you find this occurring, please try to avoid using any diuretics to correct this problem. Measuring your daily water intake until it becomes habit, avoiding salt altogether, and washing canned vegetables (sodium used as a preservative) will enable your body to correct itself.  A good salt free alternative to flavoring your food would be something like Mrs Dash, for an example.

Also, if you feel this is a health issue, I would advise speaking to your doctor, and follow the professional guidance toward a healthier you.
very good post..1 thing i disagree with..mostly with women..who are scared to drink water as it is for 'weight gain' and bloating...the more water you drink..the less you retain...*with in common sense that is..and most people no where drink enough water...
why & where did you get 'diuretics' from ?? dont even bring it up(THOSE WHO DONT KNOW BETTER)..they are deadly..if taken wrong ...bad ,bad ,bad..
I know many women who come to me, and tell me they take them monthly, during menses, for fear of the water retention during that time. I do not want people to think its "ok" to play with substances that can do way more harm, than good.
I agree with fightu35's posts.  

If I drink a diet soda, I immediately start getting hungry.  I did some research and found that I'm not the only one who reacts this way. I also found that the artificial sweeteners used in diet sodas are dangerous. No more diet soda for me. :-)

I stopped drinking Coke about a month ago. I now drink at least 64oz of water a day. So far, I've lost 9lbs, but I need to lose about 40 more. :-(
Removing soda from your diet was probably one of the most important decisions you could have made for your health. I applaud your dedication to improving your life.  
Typically, 9 lbs in a month is a safe weight loss without the use of medications.  
Perhaps (not knowing your dietary intake) reducing or eliminating salt, and increasing your physical activity will also enhance your weight loss.  
With increased physical activity comes lean muscle growth. The use of muscle takes energy, which your body will provide by releasing nutrients from fat cells. Thus, increasing overall health.

Keep up the good work.  

"The use of muscle takes energy, which your body will provide by releasing nutrients from fat cells. Thus, increasing overall health"

This is true.........but the body will only release energy 'fat' from fat cells if you are in a negativer state..calories in..vs out...and you keep saying fat cells release nutrients...not much 'nutrients' in fat cells..well not..
Ok, here we go.... (Didn't you learn this in High School?) Pay attention Class...

Fat, or adipose tissue, is found in several places in your body. Generally, fat is found underneath your skin (subcutaneous fat). There's also some on top of each of your kidneys. In addition to fat tissue, some fat is stored in the liver, and an even smaller amount in muscle.
Where fat is concentrated in your body depends upon whether you are a man or woman:
An adult man tends to carry body fat in his chest, abdomen and buttocks, producing an "apple" shape.
An adult woman tends to carry fat in her breasts, hips, waist and buttocks, creating a "pear" shape.
The difference in fat location comes from the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone. Fat cells are formed in the developing fetus during the third trimester of pregnancy, and later at the onset of puberty, when the sex hormones "kick in." It is during puberty that the differences in fat distribution between men and women begin to take form. One amazing fact is that fat cells do not multiply after puberty -- as your body stores more fat, the number of fat cells remains the same. Each fat cell simply gets bigger!

Fat tissue is made up of fat cells, which are a unique type of cell. You can think of a fat cell as a tiny plastic bag that holds a drop of fat. White fat cells are large cells that have very little cytoplasm, only 15 percent cell volume, a small nucleus and one large fat droplet that makes up 85 percent of cell volume.

When you eat food that contains fat, mostly triglycerides, it goes through your stomach and intestines. In the intestines, the following happens:
Large fat droplets get mixed with bile salts from the gall bladder in a process called emulsification. The mixture breaks up the large droplets into several smaller droplets called micelles, increasing the fat's surface area.
The pancreas secretes enzymes called lipases that attack the surface of each micelle and break the fats down into their parts, glycerol and fatty acids.
These parts get absorbed into the cells lining the intestine.
In the intestinal cell, the parts are reassembled into packages of fat molecules (triglycerides) with a protein coating called chylomicrons. The protein coating makes the fat dissolve more easily in water.
The chylomicrons are released into the lymphatic system -- they do not go directly into the bloodstream because they are too big to pass through the wall of the capillary.
The lymphatic system eventually merges with the veins, at which point the chylomicrons pass into the bloodstream.

Chylomicrons do not last long in the bloodstream -- only about eight minutes -- because enzymes called lipoprotein lipases break the fats into fatty acids. Lipoprotein lipases are found in the walls of blood vessels in fat tissue, muscle tissue and heart muscle.

When you eat a candy bar or a meal, the presence of glucose, amino acids or fatty acids in the intestine stimulates the pancreas to secrete a hormone called insulin. Insulin acts on many cells in your body, especially those in the liver, muscle and fat tissue. Insulin tells the cells to do the following:

Absorb glucose, fatty acids and amino acids
Stop breaking down: glucose, fatty acids and amino acids; glycogen into glucose; fats into fatty acids and glycerol proteins into amino acids

Start building: glycogen from glucose; fats (triglycerides) from glycerol and fatty acids proteins from amino acids.

The activity of lipoprotein lipases depends upon the levels of insulin in the body. If insulin is high, then the lipases are highly active; if insulin is low, the lipases are inactive.

The fatty acids are then absorbed from the blood into fat cells, muscle cells and liver cells. In these cells, under stimulation by insulin, fatty acids are made into fat molecules and stored as fat droplets.

It is also possible for fat cells to take up glucose and amino acids, which have been absorbed into the bloodstream after a meal, and convert those into fat molecules. The conversion of carbohydrates or protein into fat is 10 times less efficient than simply storing fat in a fat cell, but the body can do it. If you have 100 extra calories in fat (about 11 grams) floating in your bloodstream, fat cells can store it using only 2.5 calories of energy. On the other hand, if you have 100 extra calories in glucose (about 25 grams) floating in your bloodstream, it takes 23 calories of energy to convert the glucose into fat and then store it. Given a choice, a fat cell will grab the fat and store it rather than the carbohydrates because fat is so much easier to store.

When you are not eating, your body is not absorbing food. If your body is not absorbing food, there is little insulin in the blood. However, your body is always using energy; and if you're not absorbing food, this energy must come from internal stores of complex carbohydrates, fats and proteins. Under these conditions, various organs in your body secrete hormones:

pancreas - glucagon
pituitary gland - growth hormone
pituitary gland - ACTH (adrenocorticotropic hormone)
adrenal gland - epinephrine (adrenaline)
thyroid gland - thyroid hormone
Placenta - hCG (when pregnant)

These hormones act on cells of the liver, muscle and fat tissue, and have the opposite effects of insulin. When you are not eating, or you are exercising, your body must draw on its internal energy stores. Your body's prime source of energy is glucose. In fact, some cells in your body, such as brain cells, can get energy only from glucose.

The first line of defense in maintaining energy is to break down carbohydrates, or glycogen, into simple glucose molecules -- this process is called glycogenolysis. Next, your body breaks down fats into glycerol and fatty acids in the process of lipolysis. The fatty acids can then be broken down directly to get energy, or can be used to make glucose through a multi-step process called gluconeogenesis. In gluconeogenesis, amino acids can also be used to make glucose. A natural occurance in the female body when she has conceived, in order to sustain the embryo.

In the fat cell, other types of lipases work to break down fats into fatty acids and glycerol. These lipases are activated by various hormones, such as glucagon, epinephrine and growth hormone. The resulting glycerol and fatty acids are released into the blood, and travel to the liver through the bloodstream. Once in the liver, the glycerol and fatty acids can be either further broken down or used to make glucose.
Your weight is determined by the rate at which you store energy from the food that you eat, and the rate at which you use that energy. Remember that as your body breaks down fat, the number of fat cells remains the same; each fat cell simply gets smaller.

-- still with me? (continue on the next post, since this was a long one)

(continued from previous post)

During pregnancy; (Remember the zygote?) This little ball of cells divides until it contains about 100 cells. Then it becomes known as a blastocyst. The inner group of cells will form the embryo. The outer group of cells forms the placenta, which will provide nourishment. How does it get this much needed nourishment to sustain its precious young development?
Three weeks into the pregnancy, the blastocyst implants itself into the mother's uterine wall and releases hCG.
Every organ and tissue will develop through absorption of the released nutrients from the hCG in the mother. By the 5th week the placenta has already begun to form, as well as the umbilical cord, which will deliver nutrients to -- and remove wastes from -- the growing embryo.

Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
hCG is a naturally occurring protein hormone produced by the developing fetus and detected in most home pregnancy kits. hCG stimulates the development of natural male and female sex steroids. The increase in testosterone levels in males by the use of hCG would stimulate muscle development as with anabolic steroids. hCG is not banned in female athletes because it would not lead to muscle development and might naturally occur in high levels if the athlete is pregnant. The side effects of hCG in males are the same as those of anabolic steroids. Excessive hcg levels increase muscle mass by stimulating protein synthesis, and reduce body fat by stimulating the breakdown of fat cells. In females, when hcg is injected is excessively large quantities,  it also can cause OOSS, Ovarian Over-stimulation. (which can lead to multiple pregnancy).

Anyhow, wasn't it MUCH easier for me to just say "nutrients".