Weight Loss Alternatives Community

Topamax and weight loss

What is the ingredient in topamax that allows for weight loss?  I have used topamax for migraines but don't want to continue it.  However, I was taking celebrex for arthritis and experienced a weight gain which I cannot shed.  Is the ingredient in topamax which causes weight loss known?  How can I get the same effect without taking the drug again?
I found reading the recent comments interesting.  I am 33 and suffer from depression.  I've been on meds since 2000.  Before meds I weighed 130 at the most.  I now weigh 178.  My psychiatrist has suggested Topamax both to treat my depression and help my weight loss.  It sounds good until I look at the list of side effects.  My current Effexor/Lithium combo has some not so fun side effects like constipation, weight gain etc.

I think if it were as simple as trading one bunch of side effects for another, it would probably be worth it.  As much as I hate being fat, being zoned out and having blurry vision doesn't appeal to me either.---But of course, I also could face diabetes, heart disease, etc. if I stay heavy.

I'm really having a hard time deciding if I should try switching to Topomax.  I'd appreciate any advice.
I would honestly reccommend topomax to you, Shade, despite your reservations. I really struggled with the "zoning out" at first, but that side effect does subside after about 1 to 2 months. The benefits really do outweigh the negetives. The did for me anyways. It helped with my appetite and I actually lost about 20 pounds. However, I did start to change my eating and exercising habits too. But, I truly don't think I would have done that if I didn't start to see the pounds come off. I started feeling motivated despite the slight lethargic side effects of the medication. Anyways, if you're still having reservations let me know. I have a lot more I can share. I'd be more that happy to fill you in.

Virginia Music
I am considering topomax for weight loss , do you think I should give it a try because being overweight is affecting my health.
My dr recently gave me Topamax for migraine and headache prevention. She warned me that weight loss could be a side effect. Those of you that have experienced weight loss, would you mind telling me how many mg you were taking? I am also wondering if any of you have noticed any issues with birth control and topamax. My insurance company's website says topamax will render my birth control ineffective and my dr blew me off with a no it won't, don't worry about it. Any thoughts/insight is appreciated.
hi!! im 22 and i just started using topamax about a week ago i m up to 50mg a week and soon will b at 100 a week, i have migraines that will soon be resolved from this and a major result heard from the dr is weight loss which i have been to and from the dietitian for.. now i hear the stories of how easy the weight comes off but when should i start becoming concerned is it weight that starts coming off and doesnt stop? b/c i dont want to be like 3 pounds in 2 months i right now am 200 pounds and find it a good size to be around 150 nothing less than that! i have already only been on it a week have been expierencing feet tingling and i do wake up from dreams thinking that things are reality! i find the results have not set in yet i actually feel emotionally better then i ever have, i have a better self esteem but i also do find myself hungier then ever before and maybe this goes away, i dont know? im really new to this med and if i am missing anything that i should know please enlighten me for i have read about everyone's story about this rx.. thank you _mrk
If you have depression. I would NOT recommend  taking topamax. I had very slight mild anxiety. After taking topamax and experiencing loss of gaps of time. The worst panic attacks and developing  phobias. Monophobia agoraphobia. And later conversion disorder. I only took the pill for a month. Its now been over two years and I cant leave my house without klonopin. Or stay home alone while my husband is at work. It basically ruined my life. With help of medication and consoling I'm starting to regain my old habits and control the anxiety. But any underlying or notable mental illness I strongly recommend not taking topamax