Weight Loss Alternatives Community

WORRIED ABOUT TAKING TOMPAX

I JUST STARTED TOMPAX ON THANKSGIVING AND I'M SO NERVOUS ABOUT IT MY GIVE IT TO ME FOR MIGRAINES AND I FOUND OUT IT MAKES YOU LOSE WEIGHT AND I WEIGH 135 AND DON'T WANT TO LOSE A WHOLE LOT OF WEIGHT AND MY TASTE BUDS I CAN'T TASTE ANY COKES BECAUSE THEY ALL TASTE FLAT AND I HAVE STARTED EATING LESS  DOES  ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW NOT TO LOSE THE WEIGHT  THANKS
Just make yourself eat, I guess...  I have heard Topamax can cause you to not taste as well, especially carbonated drinks.  Maybe you can switch to another med if you're really that worried.  Personally, I am thinking of taking Topamax to lose weight (and for my migraines, too, of course!).  I weigh 143  and want to weigh 120 again!  I hope Topamax can help make this happen for me.
Hey worried about topamax, the taste thing will go away about 3 or 4 months.  The coke thing will always be but you will get used to it.  What I have found after being on topamaz for over two years is that you will get used to the taste thing and it won't matter.  You will notice that for about an hour or two after taking it the taste thing will be strong but will fade.  The weight issue if you are at or around a good weight at least for me and my daughter is we only lost around 10 lbs for my daughter who didn't need to, she was only 110 lbs. and she was able to gain 6 back and has hovered there but she is on a stronger dose and is a very small person.  She has complicated migraines which led to seizures so it requires a higher dosage of topamax than her size and age should be on and her doctor is ok with the weight loss since it controls the migraines.  Anyway, I lost 16 lbs. and have maintained that within 5 lbs. which can fluctuate.  Topomax can make your appetite nil.  That is what I fight even today.  So you will have to fight the not wanting to eat.  IT is good as that is about all the side affects and I used to have 7-8 migraines a months and now NONE!  And mostly no side effects others, sometimes tingling in my legs, at first it was my neck now my legs but not always.  IT isn't bad.  No cognitive effects for me or my daughter who now at college is doing well.
hi it is entirely normal to loose some weight when taking topamax 100mg or above but when your body gets acclimatised to the new drug you should level out also talk to your doctor about high calorie drinks that could keep you your perfect weight; also the carbonated drinks thing will stick around but cokes bad for you anyway since i started topamax ive discovered the joy of liptons/nestea iced tea plus it has more calories tan diet coke so it could help you maintain a good weight

conclusion
follow and advice on the box and dont be afraid/nervous/guilty for taking up time to make a doctors appointment for a chat about your worries the last thing you need is drugs stoping migraines and stress bringing them back

hope i helped

***@****
my doc won't increase my topamax for migraines.  I take 50mg once or 25 twice a day.  Wanted off because I thought it caused depression.  Have not lost weight.  Gained.  Still like diet coke.  Will give up diet coke for losing weight.  Headaches started back when tried to go off topamax.  I now take 20mg Prozac too.  I hope it works for depression.  Maybe fat will come off now.  
I'm currently on 50mg a day once daily.  I've been diagnosed with so many things for headaches, dizziness, vertigo, ect.  The topamax on helps my headaches and vertigo.  I haven't loss weight.  I drink Herbal Slimming Tea for that (found on line or in Big Lots).  I'm somewhat satisfied with the dosage I'm on.  I would prefer for it to be increased.  It definately causes drowsiness.
HI currently have tremors in my hands mostly.  I have had for over 10 yrs, am looking to get rid of them, the doctor wants to put me on Topomax, all of the side effects sound pretty scary to me, does anyone out there take this drug for tremors?????
I've just started taking Topamax a few days ago. When does the weight loss usually start? I'm only on 25 mg a day but will be on 100 by the end of the month.
I have been on Tompamax for about a month now I have lost13lbs I am so happy so far.  I cant drink carbonated drinks which is no problem to me I dont drink beer or any other drinks like that so I am safe there I am not hungry at all but I do force my self to eat I find if I eat a descent meal I lose weight like oatmeal in the morning a small sandwhich for lunch and a small peace of chicken for dinner and thats it I dont snack I cant snack I am not hungry I am on Phenteramine and Tompamax together and I find them miraculous together I  have never had this weight loss together I have no side effects I had tingling in the beggining but no more I have no more side effects its great