Weight Loss Alternatives Community

laxative abuse and anorexia

I am a recovering anorexic. I secretly still am hanging on to laxatives. I use 9 a day. How do I stop? Please don't tell me to tell my doctor. I can't, even though I've tried. Thanks
well i can sympathize with you, as i used to be anorexic and used laxatives a lot also.  but the way that i got to stop is simple... i read an article that said it was basically useless to take laxatives, because your body still absorbs all the calories and fat etc.  taking laxatives just gets that "full" feeling out of you, although when you get diarrhea, your stomach swells anyway.  well just remember... laxatives don't do a thing... if you're still concerned about weight loss that is.
hope this helps!
Thanks for the encouragement, but I need to know what you actually did to stop. I read that my body will swell up if I quit cold turkey. Did you find that to be true? How long a process is it to get your body back to normal?
Hi, I so feel your pain! I have been abusing laxatives for almost 9 years. It started with 3 or 4 correctol pills and now I am up to 10-12 a night. My whole life revolves around it. I freak out when I have to get up early because sometimes it keeps me from having my usual bowel movements. Sometims I throw up in the morning and it looks like acid. (sorry to be so gross). I have gone through counseling, anti-depressents,etc and to no avail has it helped me. I know it really doesnt help you lose weight, but it keeps me from gaining. I used to weigh 108 lbs and now I have gained 30 + lbs from steroids that I take for my asthma. It such a humiliating and expensive habit, you know? My doctor used to tell me to just day by day take one less, but I always go back to taking more pills. I have a friend who did this for 20 some years and now at 40,she may have to have part of her colon removed and wear a bag!! I don't want to end up like that. I just wish I knew what to do. I am very addicted to it.
HI I thought it was high time that a fat person speak to you ladies.  I am about 60 lbs overweight, and sorry if I offend anyone, but wake up and realize, that it is very insulting to fat people, that you are so scared of being FAT.  Being fat is not the worst thing in the world, trust me, I have sometimes wished I was anorexic, just to see what the difference is.  I think we are both in a similar boat, as being too fat is not good, and being too thin is not good either.  Unfortunately, the only way people can stop a behavior is with discipline. Many people lack this, and therefore, can not "stop" because it is not a cut and dry issue.  What I can tell you is that, everything we do, must be filtered through our minds first.  There is ALWAYS free-will.  Many people deem anorexia a disease of the mind.  Similar to a body-dismorphic disorder, many fat people, see themselves as "smaller" or "thinner" than they truly are-I don't know if I believe it is a disease, I believe it is more of  a state of mind-you can convince yourself you are something, because you believe you are that thing. For example: I can see myself as ugly, fat, & disgusting, or I can look at myself in a non-bias way, and see that I am a beautiful, smart, & funny person! My suggestion is remove yourself, from yourself for just a while, and read something inspiring, say, for instance- about evolution, and how we as human beings evolved, by higher thinking, to be at the level we are now.  Realize how amazing and wonderful you are at a "human" level, and at a "conscious" level, that you are more than just a body, or a mind, we can transcend the physical self, to see, we are all those things.  You are an amazing creation.  Appreciate that-and do not be your worst critic, I am sure no one would judge you as harshly as you judge yourself!
I appreciate your concern, but I must take offense at the statement that "it's all in my head and therefore, easy to stop a behavior." Unfortunately, anorexia, compulsive eating, laxative abuse, bulimia, etc ALL have underlying emotional issues. The anorexia is not the cause...it is the EFFECT! Saying to visualize myself as others see me and realize that i look fine is one thing. I actually am getting better...I weighed 88lbs and now weigh 114. I FEEL fat, but I realize I don't look fat to others. I am an intelligent being. I know I'm harming my body...that's not the point. I can't make my mind and my body join forces. Being anorexic or overweight...doesn't matter. The mind is involved. You remind me of my those well meaning individuals who told me to "get a grip and stop being anorexic." As if i had a choice at that point.Theoretically I know I'm harming my body, but emotionally I can't let go of the behavior. I'm asking "how?" not "why." I'm glad that you are happy with yourself and I only wish I could be that lucky. Therapy helped, but it was so expensive i had to stop. Do I wish for my life back? Do I wish I had all my wasted days back? Do I long for the day when i could buy an ice cream cone? You bet! I'd give ANYTHING! Please just don't placate me...it's not that easy...
JUST WANTED TO SAY IVE BEEN ON BOTH SIDES, SKINNY BUT FELT FAT, WEIGHT 100LBS, NOW THAT IVE HAD A THIRD CHILD AND GOT SICK RIGHT AFTERWARDS, I WEIGH 168LBS , AND FEEL SO DEPRESSED FROM IT ALL. BEING SMALLER I HAD SOOOOOO MUCH MORE ENERGY, NOW I JUST WANT TO STAY AT HOME, AND SNACK MOST OF THE DAY AWAY. I HATE LOOKING IN THE MIRROR MOSTLY NAKED, IS HAS BEEN SO HARD. JUST TO WEIGH 130LBS AGAIN I WOULD BE SO HAPPY, BUT I LOVE MY FOOD AND SWEETS. MY HIGHEST WEIGHT 10 YEARS AGO WAS 200LB, I BECAME BALEMIC (sp)AND LOST IT ALL IN NO TIME. IT WAS HARD TO STOP, I FELT BAD EATING ANYTHING.