stomach pains after gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 months ago.  Two weeks after surgery I had my gall bladder removed and spent a week in the hospital with dehydration and pancreatitis.  I have had that same stomach pain a couple other times since pancreatitis.  Last week as I live by myself I had to call an ambulance as the pain in stomach was so severe.  They did blood work and said my pancreais enzymes were elevated a little.  Gave me pain pills and sent me home.  I had a cat scan and endoscopy which did not show anything.  Pain radiates to the back.  What should I do?  
I live in a small area and do not like the doctor that did my surgery.  Also.  I weighed 248 lbs at time of surgery, and am still losing but not trying.  I am now at 117 lbs.  Any suggestions????????

Please help

Cari
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had my surgery in 2004 and have had a very similar set of pain sypmtoms that you all have described.  It sounds a lot like gallbladder but since we don't have one...I believe my pain is probably due to gas or a problem with digestion.  I have yet to go to the doc.  I have been keeping a food diary and writing down anytime i feel the pain, what i ate, how long after eating/drinking etc.  I wish everyone luck!  if anyone finds out whats going on let us know!
Helpful - 0
I too have been suffering this mystery pain on and off since March '09. I had GB 4/08 and have done wonderfully up until now. I still have no regrets, I just would like to figure out the source of this pain.

I've been reading many posts, on many sites, for many days now. What I've noticed is everyone seems to be focusing on the gallbladder when in fact, the symptoms seem to be more relevant to the pancreas. (I gathered that info from Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins Websites and a few other individual websites hosted by bariatric surgeons) And if not the pancreas then Google searches on the following possibilities: perforated ulcer, bleeding ulcer, and adhesions.

I go to see my pcp tomorrow and then the gastrointerologist Friday. These are areas of concern I'm going to have them focus on. I hope to have answers to share with everyone. There seems to be WAY TOO MANY of these mysterious cases and one of us NEEDS to find an answer and SOON! I don't know about you guys but the pain is KILLING me!!!

Take Care...Will be in touch soon!
Helpful - 0
Again Im experiencing same situation have been hospitilised 14 times in 9 months. Hwever I am now pregnant and limited to tests. I saw a surgeon today who suggested it may be a hernia due to the gastric bypass I had 2 years ago. I also had my gall bladder removed 6 years ago. The more I google this suggestion the more I see it is a symptom for some patients after bypass surgery. I have 2 kids and the pain is worse than child birth!

Kirsty
Helpful - 0
Yea, her we go again.  I had the surgery in December of 08 and was doing well, have lost 104 pounds and wan't to lose 40 more to reach my goal weight, but I intended on losing it  by eating small meals.  However, approximately 2 weeks now, I can't seem to eat anything or drink - except luke warm water.  I have the stabbing in the upper stomach soo bad that thinking about eating makes my stomach begin to hurt instantly.  No joke, and it's not mental.  I don't regret the surgery because I'm off of blood pressure and asthma meds but this pain in the stomach is a mystery to me.  Went to the surgeon and I think he thought light of it and told me to eat more frequently because acid was building up in the stomach and then once I ate, it was fighting against the food.  It kind of makes sense, but if I could eat more frequent without pain I would.  Please someone help me.  I don't want to lose weight from being sick
Helpful - 0
I had experienced this kind of pain within 4 weeks of having the surgery.  I had the Roun-Y.  This was back 6 years ago in May 2003.  The Internal Medicine doctor ran a variety of tests and such and discovered it was a diag of  "BLIND LOOP SYNDROME".  Below explains a little about it...

DESCRIPTION:

Blind loop syndrome (medical condition): A rare intestinal defect where there is a small loop in the intestines that allow digesting material to enter but not exit. The symptoms are variable depending on the size and location of the pouch.

Blind loop syndrome: stagnation of intestinal contents with bacterial overgrowth, producing substances that interfere with absorption of fat, vitamins, and other nutrients; usually occurs in a portion of small intestine that has been excluded from the flow of chyme. Such bacterial overgrowth interferes with BILE SALTS action, FATTY ACIDS processing, MICROVILLI integrity, and the ABSORPTION of nutrients such as VITAMIN B12 and FOLIC ACID.

A blind loop can be an inadvertent consequence of gastric surgery, such as Billroth II or Roux-en-Y procedures for ulcers and gastric bypass surgery for obesity. Operations on the small intestine and structural abnormalities sometimes can cause blind loops as well. And a number of medical conditions can lead to bacterial overgrowth, including Crohn's disease and scleroderma and diabetes, which can slow the rate at which food moves through the intestine.

A blind loop can trigger an escalating series of problems, including:

Poor absorption of fats. Because bacteria in your small intestine break down (deconjugate) the bile salts needed to emulsify and digest fats, the fat in food as well as the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K aren't well absorbed. This leads to diarrhea and often to steatorrhea — fatty, foul-smelling stools — as well as to weight loss and vitamin deficiency disorders. A lack of vitamin A can cause night blindness, for example, and low levels of vitamin D affect your body's ability to absorb calcium, which can lead to weakened bones.
Damage to the intestinal lining. Bacterial overgrowth harms the mucous lining (mucosa) of the small intestine both directly and indirectly. Toxic byproducts that are released when bacteria break down stagnant food damage the mucosa, as do bacterial enzymes themselves. This damage means that most nutrients, including carbohydrates and proteins, are poorly absorbed, leading to serious nutritional deficiencies.
Vitamin B-12 deficiency. Vitamin B-12, which is essential for the normal functioning of your nervous system and the production of blood cells and DNA, is absorbed in your small intestine. But proliferating bacteria actually use up the vitamin, reducing the amount that's available to your body. A severe deficiency can lead to weakness, fatigue, tingling and numbness in your hands and feet, and, in advanced cases, to mental confusion. Damage to your central nervous system resulting from a B-12 deficiency may be irreversible.
Brittle bones (osteoporosis). Both calcium and vitamin D, which aids in calcium absorption, are metabolized in your small intestine. Damage to your intestine from abnormal bacterial growth causes poor calcium absorption and eventually may lead to bone diseases such as osteoporosis.

HELP AND CHANGE IN DIET REDUCES PAIN SIGNIFICANTLY:
Doctors also may switch among different drugs to help prevent bacterial resistance. Ironically, because antibiotics wipe out most intestinal bacteria — both normal and abnormal — they can cause some of the very problems they're trying to cure, including diarrhea and an imbalance of bacteria in the digestive tract.

Nutritional support
Addressing nutritional deficiencies is a crucial part of treating blind loop syndrome, particularly in people with severe weight loss. But although malnutrition can be treated, the damage it causes can't always be reversed.

The following measures may improve vitamin deficiencies, reduce intestinal distress and help with weight gain:

Nutritional supplements. People with blind loop syndrome need intramuscular injections of vitamin B-12 as well as oral vitamin and iron supplements.
Lactose-free diet. Damage to the intestine may cause some people to lose the ability to digest milk sugar (lactose). In that case, it's important to avoid most lactose-containing products including milk and cheese, or use lactase preparations such as Lactaid that aid in digestion of milk sugar. Some people may tolerate yogurt because the bacteria used in the culturing process naturally breaks down lactose.
Medium-chain triglycerides. Trigylcerides are a type of fat consisting of a molecule of glycerol to which three hydrocarbon chains are attached. The chains vary in length, and the way your body processes triglycerides depends on the length of the chains. Most dietary fats are long-chain triglycerides. Food sources include many vegetable oils and animal fats, all of which are emulsified and absorbed in the small intestine. On the other hand, medium-chain triglycerides, found in coconut oil, are absorbed without the aid of digestive enzymes. Because they're more readily digested by people with blind loop syndrome, medium-chain triglycerides are sometimes prescribed as a dietary supplement.

ONCE THEY CLEARED IT UP WITH 10 WEEK TREATMENTS OF ANTIBIOTICS STEADY MY PAIN WENT AWAY AND ON OCCASSION I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE PAIN AND BEGAN FEELING TIRED AND I WOULD CALL THE DOC AND HE WOULD START ME ON A 2 WEEK ROUND OF ANTIBIOTICS AND IT GOT BETTER AFTER ABOUT THE FIRST 6 MONTHS.  I AM NOW 6 YEARS OUT AND I HAVEN'T HAD ANY PAIN SINCE 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE.

Helpful - 0
At about 6 months after having my bypass I started having severe stomach pain. The surgery was oct 2005. I did go to a gastroenterologist and found out that I had acid reflux. The pain was pretty bad. I also have a very tiny hiatus hernia. The doctor showed me the pictures. He said i'd had it a very long time. I told him I never had a problem with it until after the surgery. It was not caught with all the pre surgery testing either. The only pill that would work is nexium. Nothing else worked. But I still have lots of gas problems.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss Alternatives Community