stomach pains after gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery about 15 months ago.  Two weeks after surgery I had my gall bladder removed and spent a week in the hospital with dehydration and pancreatitis.  I have had that same stomach pain a couple other times since pancreatitis.  Last week as I live by myself I had to call an ambulance as the pain in stomach was so severe.  They did blood work and said my pancreais enzymes were elevated a little.  Gave me pain pills and sent me home.  I had a cat scan and endoscopy which did not show anything.  Pain radiates to the back.  What should I do?  
I live in a small area and do not like the doctor that did my surgery.  Also.  I weighed 248 lbs at time of surgery, and am still losing but not trying.  I am now at 117 lbs.  Any suggestions????????

Please help

Cari
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2003 and had the normal after surgery surgeries - gallbladder and hernia repair.  Everything has been great and I have no regrets having the surgery, however for the past few months I have developed a stomach pain and I have an appointment next week.  I seem to have heartburn, gas, and pains so bad that I want to cry.  I am at a point right now that food is what seems to trigger the attacks, so I am not eating.  I hope to know more by next week, but so far I am concerned because from the posts, it seems as though doctors cannot explain these pains.....
Helpful - 0
I just wanted to say...everyone's post could have been written by me. I don't have all the answers...and I'm not sure I have THE answer but I wanted to put this out there...Have you all talked to your doctors about the possibilities that your abdominal pain is myofascial pain syndrome? I have severe abdominal pain (also Fibro, CFS, RA, etc.) and had gastric bypass 1/08. All tests normal...no one can find cause or reason. My doctor now... that I searched for until I found someone that would listen and do SOMETHING!...recently diagnosed me with myofascial pain syndrome and gives me trigger point therapy. I get injections in my abdomen on a weekly to monthly basis right now (sometimes they last...sometimes they don't) but in conjunction with pain meds...it is THE most relief I've had!! Sometimes I can go 4 days and actually feel human...with very little pain at all! Please do some research on MPS and Trigger Point Therapy and find a doctor that does it. The pain of the small injections is easy to endure compared to the abdominal pain we suffer without the injections. It so far is the only thing I've found that makes sense and fits. Not sure it explains why or how...but at this point I can't focus on that. I just know that with the numbing injections and the pain meds...my severe abdominal pain is gone or tolerable now, most days. Hope this helps someone! Here's some info I found while doing a search... http://www.myalgia.com/Treatment/Myofascial pain/Understanding MPS.htm
Helpful - 0
Wow, so many people with the same symptoms as me!  I had my surgery 15 months ago, and had my gall bladder out due to gall stones in March 2010.  After 2 or 3 months post op I've had occasional minor "stabbing" pain-- sharp and sudden onset that went away rapidly.  I kept mentioning them, but they were dismissed as part of the gall bladder problems.  I also have acid reflux, and take meds for that and some other things, too.  Now the pain is severe and random, lasts 2 or 3 minutes usually, and begins between naval and ribcage, then migrates to my right side.  Right now, it feels like the dull ache after you are getting past a stitch in your side from running.  It's bizarre, painful enough to take my breath away, and it is poo pooed by my surgeon who tells me to just "quit drinking coffee."  I'm weaning off coffee just to prove that's not the problem, or she won't listen to me.  Believe me, it's not coffee, although I'm sure the coffee doesn't help!  But I get pain from drinking tap water, too.  No matter what I eat or don't eat, it will hurt when it wants to.  I haven't found anything to link it too, either.  I wake up in the middle of the night with the pain.  yesterday I was in tai chi class and the movements made my belly start to hurt, so something is sensitive in there!  That Blind Loop Syndrome someone mentioned sounds like a possible answer; or a hernia, but, really, I don't care so long as I can get rid of the pain.  It's getting worse over time!

My best to all of you fellow suffers.
Helpful - 0
If you are having stomach pains and you have lost over or around 100 pounds the pain may be caused by the intestine collaping where it attaches to the stomach. You should get ahold of the doctor that did the surgery and ask if this could be a possibality. When you eat the food is getting lodged in the stomach and intestine because it is collaped and making it very painful when you digest your food this is an easy fix to the doctor that did the surgery. It happens to about 10% of the poeple that have had gastric bypass
Good luck to all.
KA
Helpful - 0
What is the easy fix ?
Helpful - 0
I just want to pray with you and every person (including myself) having pain in the gut following GBP.  "Dear Heaveny Father, in Jesus am, we come to You beseeching , You, oh Lord to look upon our situation of continuous pain, Lord.  Touch KareBear, the others on this blog, and others who've never written in for help, but who are experiencing abdominal pain they cannot control, oh Lord.  With the healing power that You appointed our Saviour to possess, Lord, I ask you to annoint Your people, and those gentile (further asking that those who don't know You, seek You).  Allow us, oh Lord, to touch that area causing pain and tell it 'PAIN, be thou removed in the mighty name of Jesus Christ.'  Forgive us our sins and anything which has caused offense against Thee and Thine perfect work.  Mend us, oh Lord.

And finally, Lord, please continue to bless the hands of physicians who practice to help change lives of people.  Let them be divinely given insight as the the causses and solutions.  In Jesus name I pray, amen."
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss Alternatives Community