Weight Loss Alternatives Community

weight and depression

I am 43 years old.  I have been suffering from depression (bipolar) for six years.  It was only in the past year that I finally got relief with Lamictal and Cymbalta.  I have tried probably over 20 different meds.  

In these years, I have gained 60 pounds.  I try to lose it and may lose 5 pounds but gain 10 back.  This is very frustrating and causes more depression.  I know that I am the one putting the food in my mouth, but with the stress and fatigue, I look to food for energy.  That is another thing, I am extremely tired all of time.  People say, "why don't you exercise?"
I am just so tired and they don't understand.  

A psychologist tried to help my husband understand by saying, "if the cure for depression was on the other side of the room, a fatigued, depressed person wouldn't have the energy to go get it".  It was such a perfect statement!

Anyway.  I want help losing weight.  Is medication the answer?
Is prescribing something like Ritalin helpful to get rid of the fatigue.

I need as many suggestions or people who are going thru this to reply.  

I am worried about my health.

Thank you
meggismom
Ok first of all you need to get outside and walk!!!
Breathe the fresh air and do not rely on meds.  My mother was
prescibed a plethera of crazy drugs, some that were even recalled, and NONE of them helped her.  Her depression is so deep, and her anxiety HIGH!!!  I would suggest, a PHYSICAL. SO that you may address your physical problems, those are what start the PSYCHOLOGICAL ones, and many of these drugs add to the problem, instead of the cure.  I feel for you, I am about 60 lbs overweight too, and I just cannot lose it.  But I do not like to discipline myself either, I give in to most of my desires, like cookies, cake, ice cream and BREAD!!!!  I think you could be happier if you just realize that this is only temporary, and if you want to change it you can-I lost weight once, 43 lbs. on weight watchers.  I am sure it had to do with the fact that I was 20.  Now I am in my mid 30's and after being married you pack on the weight again slowly.  I am heavier than my husband now and it is a problem.  I know how hard it is! I have really been up and down my whole life! It is a daily stuggle! Don't be depressed be happy that you have your family.  I lost my Dad this May and now my mother has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  I have been hit hard, and turn to food, but know I will end up sick too if I do not take care of myself.
You sound so much like me.

I know you are right about the walking, but just can't seem to do it.
I will try harder.

I have also lost my dad (10 years ago) and my mom has breast cancer and is dying.  It is going slow.  She is not good.

Thank you for you comments.  
I would love to talk to  you more via email.  If it is okay with you.
My email is ***@****

Put medhelp in the subject line so that I know it is you.

meggismom