Weight Loss Alternatives Community

weight gain after hysterectomy

after my hysterectomy at 45yrs old I am gaining weight fast...never had mood swings or sweats...taking no harmones..does anything help?Trying all over the counter pills and etc. nothing working...HELP!!
I worked very hard to lose 120 pounds, only to have to have a hysterectomy and I have gained 60 with in a year! I am devastated, taking over the counter diet pills and prescribed diet pills from my MD. I am very depressed about this and was wondering, any women out there have this problem? I am not on hormones either.
I am 33 and have had a full Hysterectomy since I was 24. I have gained so much weight but this past year it has been bad. I was exercising and eating healthy and can't loose a thing. One pound would be nice you know. I was taking yoga 3 times a week, kick boxing and water aerobics 2 times a week. The doctor said I had to do cardio 7 days a week. Well speaking to real personal trainers they said every to her day.  So, I kicked it up to biking 3 miles every other day.Still nothing! ! ! I have been trying since December and it is June now. All kinds of diets did not work either. So I went to an Endocrinologist. They tested my Thyroid levels and they are fine. They think it is all hormonal. I am on cenestin hormone replacement. It helps for the hot flashes but you still I am gaining weight. They said that people who have had Hysterectomy's are missing a key ingredient which I forgot what it was but it started with the letter "L" does not matter because so far there is no replacement for it. I guess they have seen tons of women with the same problem. Sad thing is there is no way to measure or test for it today. I was told we were a year out from being able to get answers for it. I was put on a list for trail medications. I am sorry to bring bad news but so far I have not found why I am gaining. Oh yeah a nutritionist saw my meal planner and said it was great so I know I am not eating junk food and that is why I am gaining weight. I feel the Cenestin ( Hormone replacements) help with mood swings, and hot flashes but we are still missing something that we need.
I had a partial hysterectomy (I got to keep one ovary) after my second baby, and I haven't been able to lose any weight either.  I was also lactating over a year after I had quit nursing my baby and I was having horrible hair loss.  My thyroid tests kept coming up in the normal range, but I still didn't feel well.  I was wearing three shirts and sitting in front of a space heater in an 82 degree Farenheit house-- oh yeah, with a blanket to trap the heat around me-- and the doctors kept telling my my thyroid, the gland that regulates body temperature, metabolism, and other hormomes, was working fine.  I went to an endocrinology professor/ physician who wanted me to take a radioactive thyroid function test.  I've got enough potential cancer causing issues to deal with, so I refused the make-my-thyroid-glow test.  Instead, the doctor prescribed a natural thyroid replacement with T2 and T3, and then I felt great, wasn't cold, stopped lactating, and my hair was growing back.  I asked the endocrinologist if it could possibly be the placebo effect since I've been convinced that it was a thyroid problem the entire time.  He told me that the placebo effect doesn't regrow patches of hair, stop hormomal lactation, or make me drop five pounds in two weeks.  Moral of the story: Check with a specialist about the possiblity of supplementing your thyroid hormone with a low replacement dose for a couple months.  It worked for me to a certain degree, and may be helpful for you just to see if you're one of the thousands who have "normal" labs but problematic thyroid symptoms.  So now I still gain three pounds of water weight having an ovary still cycle monthly.  But I also remember why my husband and I never used hormone based birth control-- it keeps the weight on, and a woman can expect to gain about five pounds for every year she takes the hormomes.  I wish you luck with your current treatment regimen.  I know how frustrating it can be when your body gains weight for no apparent reason and refuses to take it off.  I've gone for the lipodissolve on my abdomen since my pregnancy, hysterectomy surgery, and scar left me with stubborn fat that diet and exercise won't cure.  Hopefully, it will kill the fat cells and not just remove the triglycerides from them.
I am also gaining weight fast after my surgery.  It is so depressing.  I have never been overweight and do not want to be. Can anything help?
I had  lost 100# and sucessfully kept if off for 1 1/2 years.  then I too had a hysterectomy.  they left 1 ovary.  I had the surgery in early aug. and its now late january and I have put on nearly 60#!!
Most of it in the stomach, rib and butt.  I look pathetic, and am so afraid of being fat agian.  I cook good healthy meals, I live on a farm and am outside doing chores ect.  I have found that I have an INSATIABLE sweeet tooth that I have NEVER had.  so i dont keep sweets in the house.  
I am so relieved to know that some of you have experienced the dame problems.. i was bcoming very depressed as well.  
Tiffany
I am in the same situation I have tried everything. If anyone comes up with a way to lose weight after a hysterectomy we will all be millionaires!
Well I be damn, I'm not the only hysterectomy-notwannabe out there. I'm 38 and I had a hysterectomy in Oct.07 , I still have both ovaries,but I have gained about 15 lbs since the surgery, there has to be something out there for us. I thought you would lose weight with the damn surgery,what is going on?
I had thyroid cancer in 1994 and gained 60 pounds almost immediately.  I do not take thyroid pills nor do any tests come out abnormal after my surgery.  Then in 1998 I had uterine cancer and they took all my female parts including both ovaries.  I am fatter than I have ever been in my life and no matter what I do, the weight stays on.  I exercize daily, eat healthy, no fast food or junk and still nothing.  I went on Jenny Craig for 9 months, followed it to the key and lost 1 pound.....what can I do?  I feel like at first I did the surgeries to save my life, now I feel as if I am going to lose my life from being obese and have no control regarding what happens....

Does anyone have a solution???

Helpless in San Diego
I had a C-Section with Partial Hysterectomy in Sept.07 and I have not been able lose any weight since the procedure. Now of course I lost the weight of my son (6#11oz), the weight of the uterus, and the excessive 10# water weight I was carrying in my swelling body- That totaled about 20lbs. I weigh the same right now as I did at my 6wk postop. My son is almost 7mos old and I am so embaressed of my weight. I weigh 40lbs more than I did pre pregnancy and have NEVER weighed this much out of pregnancy in my life. I am exclusively nursing my son. Now I know nursing is supposed to help you take off the weight but I am afraid that's not happening. It maybe keeping me from gaining more Who knows? I have decided to go to my Dr and see if there is anything else I can to do to shed atleast a pound or two- I am eating well and trying to exercise every day.
At least after reading this I know that I am not alone with this isssue. Good Luck to All and God Bless.
Hello Ladies,
I had a complete hysterectomy in November 2007.  Well let me tell you I can relate to all of you.  I am 5'5" and now 185 pounds maybe more.  I was always skinny.  I was between 115 and 120.  I will be 42 this year and I cannot believe how much I am still suffering in so many ways after this horrible surgery.  I now know that mine was unnecessary and I had other options.  Not only I have I gain an enormous amount of weight but I lose all of my desire for sex and cannot have an O.  I am not sure if I am allowed to say the O word here or not?  I continue to suffer with hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, horrible headaches, my bones ache so much, I could go on and and on.  I am so depressed and now reading that there is nothing I can do to lose weight I am even more depressed.  I have doctors who seem to not know what they are talking about or just don't care.  I really hope that researchers take this problems seriously and other problems we suffer after having a Hysterectomy!!  I empathize with all of you.  I just cannot stop crying.  I feel like I am a completely different person in another persons body!
I had a hyster in 05. Same situation as all of you. I have gained 23lbs after working at Weight Watchers and losing 52lbs in 03.
I have started researching weight gain and hysterectomies just yesterday. I am a Christian, believer in JC. After all the mood swings, depression, anger, loss of sexua desire, no O's, arms that can wave goodbye and hello at the same time, kept journals (I started WW again for the 50th time and write everything that goes into my mouth, I read every label, no MSG, no aspertame, I also have the insatiable sweet tooth. I HAVE HAD IT.
I am putting all my faith in God for guidance. I WILL dig deep into all my research and I WILL find a way to stop this weight gain and I WILL unzip and walk out of this body I do not know and find myself again.
I will post all new findings as I search to try and help all of us.
Yes, I too attend a health club, eliptical and bike 30 mins, circuit training, my trainer says this, (no hitting please ladies-although I could have punched him)..."Weight gain is a mind issue. Weight gain occurs when you put food in your mouth eat it, it goes into your stomach and so and so, then you do not burn off more calories than you eat."
"A woman 40 and older should normally be eating 1,950 calories a day. To lose 2 lbs a week you need to subtract 500 calories a day-down to 1,450 calories a day. That is how it's calculated. You can live on 1,200 normally (any woman) eating healthy and lose or if you are at your desired weight you should use 1,200 to maintain.
OK, for me I have "suffered" long enough. Lost to many days, months and now years being miserable. Drs, truly don't know, nor do they truly care. When they prescribe a med, they make big $. I personally am on a compound bio-identical hormones. Triest 3.75, 0.5 Test. It is made by a compounder at Walgreens. There are only so many compounders around so do your homework. I to have "been back" to the drs with the,"I'm gaining weight issue." She just said, "You have to step up working out and pay close attention to your food intake."
I would like to recommend reading or going to Barnes/Knoble (a bookstore) a book called, "The Menopause Bible." No, it's not religious, it has some great advice on all subjects. I read alot of it yesterday and am going to Amazon.com to purchase a used one opposed to buying the $27.50 B/K price.
I WILL BE BACK, so watch for my research and results, I will share it all!  We will never have to stand behind the camera lense again!
Blessings: Bonnie
I too have been gaining weight like crazy!  I had my uterus and cervix removed in 2002 and then in April of 2007 had my ovaries and tubes removed.  After the first sugery I was about 110lbs and have kept it off until the second surgery.  I now weigh 147lbs and I am only 4'10".  I work out every day intensely and only drink water.  I eat very little, only salads and protein.....and my clothes are getting tighter.  The dr. has me on HRT, which makes me tired, but I still get horrible night sweats.  I'm only 47 and have always looked younger than my age.....now I think I look 10 years older!  It's very depressing.  I can relate to everyone else that's going through this.

I plan on buying "The Menopause Bible" for any advise I can get.

Thanks,
Trish