Burn more calories than u eat?

It seems simple but it is confusing me. If I had 342 calories for breakfast and I burn 324 I'm Ok? But if I only burned 100 it doesn't count? More than once I try to burn more than I have eaten but never seem to. Kinda discouraging if im not losing any weight.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
There are a couple of things that aren't being said in so many words... Our bodies need so many calories every day just to stay alive and it's not always as cut and dried as burning more calories than you eat... You're right - it sounds simple, but it doesn't always work...

First off, if you ate 342 calories for breakfast and you only burned 100 (assuming you burned them via exercise), you would have burned more through digestion, your heart beat, brain and other organ activity, as well.  You wouldn't have built muscle, which burns fat faster, but you would have burned some more of those calories before the day was over.  

You can't really look at just the calories from just one meal; you have to look at your whole day's calories.  Calculate your daily calorie needs and stay within your calorie budget for the day.

The second thing to think about is underlying medical issues, such as hypothyroidism or insulin resistance, PCOS, etc... These will all cause weight gain and hinder weight loss efforts, so if you think you might have any of these problems, get checked out by your doctor.  I have, both, hypothyroidism and insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome and before I got my thyroid levels balanced, I could, literally eat nothing but salads and still gain weight; of course insulin resistance/metabolic syndrome doesn't help this.  It took a long time to get everything balanced so I could lose weight and until I did, no amount of exercise of calorie deficits would do the trick.

Now that I've finally got my body re-balanced, I've found that I lose weight more easily by adding more healthy fats than I do by eliminating fat from my diet. All things in moderation - except sugar... eliminate that...

Helpful - 0
First, What are you eating?

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Losing weight involves following a plan where you increase physical activity and exercise to burn more calories and reduce the number of calories you ingest. By engaging in cardiovascular activity and eating a balanced, nutritious diet you can shed fat, maintain lean muscle mass and increase heart health.
As you burn more calories than you take in, you set up a caloric deficit which can result in weight loss. You can reduce calorie intake by eating healthier or less food, or you can bump up energy expenditure by increasing exercise. Consistently maintaining a caloric deficit allows you to permanently shed excess pounds.
Eat smaller, frequent meals and engage in regular exercise to make up this deficit. Set process goals like exercising regularly and outcome goals like losing a specific amount of weight to change your habits and remain motivated.
Exercising regularly helps you expend calories that can't be cut through dieting. Engaging in cardiovascular activity also increases heart health, reduces blood pressure and elevates your mood. The National Institutes of Health suggests performing moderate aerobic exercise like brisk walking for 20-minute sessions, three times per week. Walk instead of driving and take the stairs instead of the elevator to increase the number of calories you burn.
Eat a nutritious diet rich with complex carbohydrates, lean proteins and healthy fats to reduce the number of calories you ingest. Consume fruits, vegetables and whole grains to receive the proper amount of vitamins and minerals and power up your workouts. Take in healthy fats like nut butters and olive oils to increase heart health and consume lean proteins like chicken breast and salmon to provide your muscles with vital amino acids.
Try the following,
The Peak 8 routine it will quickly raise your heart rate 8 times for very short bursts, with a cooling down period in between. Ideally you’ll be sprinting or cycling full throttle for 30 seconds with a 90 second cool down in between each outburst.

This is the fastest way to lose fat and build muscle in the body. Peak 8 actually stimulates the growth hormone in the body. I encourage you to visit Dr Mercola’s site to learn more about Peak 8 fitness because I personally feel that it is one of the best ways to exercise, especially considering the speed at which you can lose fat and build muscle.

I highly recommend you read this article and watch the videos on the page. It will give you all the information you need to know about Peak 8 – Flood Your Body With This “Youth Hormone” In Just 20 Minutes

What you eat after Peak 8 training does matter

It’s recommended that you do not eat sugar or carbohydrate for 2 hours after the Peak 8 exercise because these foods can impact the release of the growth hormone in the body. The links are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7j9FRiJpg&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT5hRYXmxSE&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKML9EL4As&list=PL9FxWnfq1Oyo9pHHUPHeQne4iqoZ4zTN_

Figure your heart rate by this formula
The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate zone. The formula involves using your maximum heart rate (MHR) minus your age to come up with a target heart rate range (which is a percentage of your MHR). Staying within this range will help you work most effectively during your cardio workouts.

an example of the Karvonen formula for a 23 year old person with a resting heart rate of 65 beats per minute (*to get your resting heart rate, take your pulse for one full minute when you first wake up in the morning or after you've resting for a while). This formula also includes an updated calculation of maximum heart rate (the previous formula was 220 - age, which has now been shown to be inaccurate):

206.9 - (0.67 x 23 (age)) = 191                
191 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 126            
126 * 65% (low end of heart rate zone) OR 85% (high end) = 82 OR 107    
82 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 147  
107 + 65 (rhr) = 172
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 147 to 172

First thing in the morning before you get out of bed have a clock with a second hand and check your resting heart rate then figure your rate by the
Karvonen Formula above.

You burn 30 percent more fat from doing cardio after a weights session as opposed to cardio on its own.
Before doing anything check with your doctor!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community