MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.

Dieting with little or no results???

I quit drinking pop, unless it is diet.  I stopped drinking coffee and only drink tea (with like 2 sugar cubes and a small amount of lite half and half).  I drink 1-2 bottles of water a day (this is up from none).  I do not eat after supper (supper is usually at 7ish), and I used to eat all kinds of snacks right up until bedtime.  I have been doing these things for (the pop one is about a year), a few months.  I have also included light exersize at work, and making sure I get up and out of chair at least once per hour at work.  As well as using my wii fit and other wii games at home and trying to sleep more regular hours, and eating a low fat high fibre breakfast (I never used to eat breakfast - but would start snacking around 9am until lunch)... and I have not only not lost any stinking weight, but I have gained a few more pounds.

Short of starving myself or making myself vomit after each and every meal (and not sure either of those would work at this point either), I do not know what to do.  I have in the long ago past been a smoker, and also had bouts of eating disorders (both anerexia and bulemia) of which I am not proud, but the past is the past.  

I had a gallbladder removal surgery about 8 years ago, and at the time my liver had started to fail.  I currently have fatty liver disease (of which the doctor said was nothing serious, and they do nothing for it -  but I read about different enzymes to take to help with digestion, and I take them although not faithfully as they are expensive), so now I have to wonder why am I losing nothing????

Anybody have any other doable idea's, I do not want to spend a crap load of money and continue getting the same results I have been getting.

I am about to start the master cleanse, in a few days...  I am a little worried about doing that while working and caring for 4 very busy children, from 17 to 5. However I am determined to get back into shape, I am tired of being OBESE... it *****.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome -- and it can cause weight gain and/or inability to lose - it's often treated with metformin, which is a med also used to treat type II diabetes.  A side effect of metformin is weight loss, but it is NOT a weight loss med and should not be used as such.  Okay, so that opens up a whole new arena here.  If you have PCOS, you might also have insulin resistance and/or hypothyroidism.  Please ask to get tested for all of these things as each one alone can cause the problems you have, but when added together can really be a mess.  

If you need a list of tests to ask for, please send me a PM and I will be happy to provide it.  

It's totally awesome that you've been able to give up all sodas -- well an occasional diet soda isn't going to be the end of the world........  By now, I hope you've seen your new doctor and been able to get some answers.  I can't believe that you actually had a doctor that told you your mother didn't love you enough and that's what made you fat...........how ludicrous.  By the way, looking back over the postings in this thread, I don't even see your height/weight -- are you sure you are really fat??  I see the term "obese", but again, are you sure?  

It sounds like, in your case, exercise might be a key issue.  You can only drop so many calories before your body thinks there won't be enough food coming in and it goes into "starvation mode".......how many calories are you consuming/day?  Are you using the med help food diary?  If so, I'd be happy to take a look at it to see if there's something that may need to be changed, if you like.  

Helpful - 0
I have completely cut out pop, and although it has not helped my weight loss it has made me feel better.  Wow, that was a great suggestion.  I drink way more water and juice/water mix.   I am going to a dietician this month, but do you know what the PCOS is, I was trying to talk to the doctor and I perhaps was mixing up the letters but she wasn't sure what I was talking about.

thanks,

Niknak
Helpful - 0
I have been keeping a food diary, but I certainly am not consistent with the exercise on my wii fit, but I am walking most every night.  I do track my caloric intake I actually do not deduct for exercise.  I figured it wouldn't matter.  I am seeing the doctor on Jan 11, a new doctor as my old doctor was a bit of a flake and when I spoke to him about my concerns etc, he kept trying to blame my mother, said she didn't love me enough, nothing about how to help me lose the weight now.  You know the type kept telling me what my problem was, which was that I am FAT, and no suggestions on how to help me fix it.  At one point told me that some people just are naturally fat adults...   also since the last little while I have cut out almost all soda, I have been only drinking water, or skim milk once a day.  Only on occasion having a can of diet pop.

I also have gone to one sugar cube in my tea and only one cup of tea in the morning, no cream just a nip of skim milk.  I am waiting to do the cleanse until after I see the new doctor.  I also only eat fresh food, I am a stickler for it.  I do not like canned or frozen foods, I get fresh foods each day or every few days.  Of course there are occasions when I will eat some processed foods and stuff but usually I am pretty good.

I appreciate the suggestions.  There are some good points that I will definitely try, if not already doing.

I do have a desk job, which of course doesn't help, but I have been really good about making sure that I do not sit for longer then an hour at a time.  Even when I go home and I am feeling lazy I make sure I get up and walk around the house, all kinds of just not sitting for long periods of time.

thanks,
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
You could try cutting out ALL sodas -- even diet sodas can sabotage your diet.  I'd also suggest that you eliminate the sugar cubes from your tea -- if you need sweetener, try switching to Stevia, which is a natural sweetener, with no calories.

From your post, it sounds like you have a "sit down" job?  It's great that you get up often to move around.  

Like tigetlilly said - maybe you are eating the wrong foods, or too many calories compared to the calories you are burning.  

I also agree with what lilly said about the cleanse.  It most likely won't hurt you, but usually cleanses are not necessary if you are eating the right kind of foods.  I do take digestive enzymes to help break down food because I have quite an issue with constipation.  

Fresh fruits and veggies are best, but if you can't get fresh, then frozen is better than canned.  Make sure you get at least 3 servings of low/no fat dairy/day, including milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.  You would also do well to go for high protein because that will keep you feeling fuller longer.  For breakfast, I usually have one hard boiled egg, with a slice of whole grain toast and some fruit; that keeps me full for several hours.  

The other problem you might be having is exercise.  You said you use the Wii Fit, which is great.  How often do you use it and for how long each time?  It's necessary to be consistent with your exercise and you have to continue exercising long enough to burn up those calories.  Your goal should be at least one hour/day.  It will also depend on which of the exercises you are doing -- the balance games are great, and will help tone muscles, but they won't help you lose weight.  

I think one of the best things I ever did as far as exercise was to get the dvd called "The Biggest Loser -- Yoga for Weight Loss".  One of our member here suggested it, and since I love yoga, I decided to try it.  I found the dvd at WalMart for only $10 and it's great.  The trick is to be consistent with the exercise -- doing it daily, which I tend not to do.  

I'd also suggest that you implement the food diary here on med help, along with the exercise tracker.  Keeping track of the calories going in and the calories being burned will help you figure out where you need to make changes.

One last thought -- I'd also recommend that you talk to your doctor about getting tested for thyroid issues, which can cause weight gain and/or prevent weight loss.  I have hypothyroidism and trust me -- losing weight is a challenge.  You might also ask to get tested for insulin resistance and/or PCOS, which can both make if difficult, if not impossible to lose weight.  
Helpful - 0
I'm not sure what to tell you, your changes (I would think) should be doing something. You need to keep a food diary. You could be taking in too many calories or the wrong foods and not even know it.You could even not be eating enough. Forget the pop at all. I used to drink diet only and stopped almost completely (8oz per week, maybe) because I was having a hard time losing. I don't use cream in my coffee and I use Splenda. If you want real sugar and don't like artificial, try Sugar In The Raw. Make sure you don't use to much because it's not as sweet as refined sugar. Stay away from processed foods, boxed meals, refined sugar and simple carbs. The cleanse is not necessary if you eat fresh foods low in fat and high in fiber. When I eat something that's not good for me I start sweating and feel crappy. The water naturally cleanses your body and helps you detox. If you do the cleanse you might have trouble using the bathroom when your done. They have a lot of fiber in them and when you go back to a regular diet your body has to adjust again to something different. Some of the weight you lose on it will come back. Don't stop trying, the things you are doing are good just keep implementing more of those things into you routine and something will happen.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community