Not losing pounds, what is happening?

Why am I not losing pounds? Can all the hiking I have been doing cause my clothes to fall off but not to lose pounds?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The swolleness is not good! Been sure to ellevate your knees when you are sitting. Also if you ice them and heat them the swelling may go down. I am 267lbs and sometimes when I work out at the gym for 2 hours at a time my knees will hurt as well as thighs. I use a muscle cream (Icy Hot or Sportscreme) and it relieves alot of the soreness. Also if possible even while your knees are hurting do a small amount of walking/hiking. Not what your use to, but smaller. Sometimes continuing to exercise the body while injured will help.

If you have a joint/blood flow problem and you don't eat fish, try taking a fish oil suppliment. It has helped my joints tremendously.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for that information how every I did push to hard on Monday when i went on the 2 mile hike. My knees are swollen now and have been since than.
Helpful - 0
You can be perfectly fit, but still weight alot because muscle weighs more then fat. Your body needs to be shocked, if you are hiking/walking the same distance over and over you are not "stretching" your bodies limit. Your body likes to be tested and will continue to lose weight/gain muscle when you continue increasing distance/speed/incline.

There is a poster in my gym that says "If it hurts to tie your shoes, then you are doing something right." You should be sore after every work out, but not so sore that you are incapable of moving. Know your limits and push them, but not enough that you break.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
I read an article not too long ago that advised against putting too much stock in the scale.  

Whether it's fat or muscle, a pound is a pound, but muscle is much denser than fat, so a pound of muscle will appear smaller than a pound of fat.  

Hang in there and keep up with the exercises; and although I'm still not fond of the type diet your doctor put you on, so long as you are in touch with your doctor regularly to make sure you are staying healthy, don't give up.  

But msniki is right - not everyone can stick to all diets and not all diets will work for everyone.  For instance - I *might* last about 10 minutes on a diet that won't let me eat the complex carbs in fruit, veggies and whole grains.  My cravings would drive me up the wall, not to mention the fact that I'd be so bloated from not being able to go to the bathroom, I'd feel like I just would rather die!!  Well, maybe a bit of "drama queen" there, but you get the point.  
Helpful - 0
Well maybe the low carb diet caused me to Ovulate early since my temp went up today. I think it might have regulated my hormones. Also my legs are getting alot of muscles from my hikes up hills.
Helpful - 0
Maybe the low carb diet is right for your body? Not everyone can follow all diet plans. I still eat carbs (a ton) and I'm still losing weight without a problem. Maybe stick to this low carb diet till the end of the month and see what weight comes off, if none maybe switch to something of your own.
Helpful - 0
I am following a low carb diet. no more than 15 carbs in one sitting and no more than 30 carbs a day. None coming from any breads or pasta that are not low carb.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Are you still following the "no carb" diet with your doctor?  I thought you were allowed some carbs after a couple of weeks.  I see you had 1/2 a peach - is that all you are allowed?  

I can't help feeling like you probably aren't getting enough calories.  You might want to talk to your doctor.  
Helpful - 0
One pound up is normal and no need to worry.  If you've been eating correctly and within calorie limits the fluctuation up a pound is very normal.  The only time to get concerned is if you are weighing at the same time of day, in the same clothes and you continue to go up a pound, up a pound and up a pound .. By the 3rd pound up, a person needs to reevaluate "what" food is being eaten and the level of exercise that is being (or not being) done AS WELL AS post in the community about what is going on so we can help.

Here's some information on plateaus .. hope it helps and do let us know how you are doing .. http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/40803?personal_page_id=1184

Very best wishes ..  
Helpful - 0
They do make low carb bread i think? Thats right like Barb said, you have to make sure you eat enough during the day, if not then you will just end up starving your body and your body will not allow you to lose weight.
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
You may have plateaued.  Try changing your exercise and meals around and see what happens.  AND make sure you are eating enough.  If you don't get enough calories, your body will go into "starvation mode" and you won't be able to lose.  Do you keep a food diary?  That's a great way to make sure you get enough, but not too much.  

You can also try varying the amount you eat each day by and couple hundred calories either way.
Helpful - 0
I can't have the wheat bread to many carbs in it. But i will look into weights. All I am doing in walking and hiking. I just had half a peach for snack.
Helpful - 0
You could be gaining muscle, which would cause you not to lose weight. What about doing something like crunches other then walking and hiking. You could also get some inexpensive weights like 5 or 10lbs and start to do that at home. I've seen them at Walmart and not too pricey. Also make sure you don't eat the same type of food every single day. Your body is made to work to eat different things everyday. Yesterday I had whole wheat pasta for lunch and today I had turkey on lite whole wheat bread. I know when I was eating the same thing all week long, I didn't lose anything.

Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
I went through the same thing last weigh-in. I felt like I was thinner. Pants fit looser. And I actually gained a lb.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community