Not losing weight.

I am taking in no more than 1500 calories a day, most days around 1200-1400.  I do have a cheat day once a week and allow up to 2000 calories that day.  I do not expect to lose alot of weight at a time.  I want to do this slowly so it will stick, but the problem is im gaining weight.  I lost 11lbs at first and have since gained back 3 in the last 2 weeks.  I also have been more active over the last month, but admit not so much in the last week, I took a full time temp job and go to school full time so I have not had the time as of late.  Help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks everyone, it was water retention.  I am horrible about drinking water and I do love salt!  Yes I mostly do eat healthy foods, occasionally I make caloric room for the no no food, but otherwise 1500 calories is good for me.  Thanks all!
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
How much weight are you trying to lose?  What types of foods are you eating?  It's best to concentrate on whole grains, lean protein, low/no fat dairy; LOTS of veggies and some fruits.  

Not everyone can sustain a 1500 calorie/day diet; you may need more or less, depending on your current weight and activity level.  The types of calories you eat will have an impact as well.  Yes, I know a calorie is a calorie; however if you eat foods with, say, a lot of sugar or other simple carbs, you blood sugar will not be stable and that sugar is likely to turn to fat, much more quickly than lean protein and complex carbs (whole grains, nuts, seeds, etc.).  Plus high sugar or high fat foods will leave you hungry much more quickly than the lean protein and complex carbs.

If you care to give us more information, about yourself, maybe we can help you figure out what the problem is.

I do agree that you should make sure you don't have an underlying medical issue, such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, PCOS, etc.  
Helpful - 0
Sounds like water retention. It doesn't seem possible to gain weight with what you're eating, unless you have a thyroid condition or some other disorder such as Type II diabetes, which can complicate matters.

As for exercise, get in what you can. Take the stairs, park far away and walk to the store, school, etc. Or call up a friend and take a stroll around the neighborhood. You don't have to kill yourself to get a decent amount of exercise. If you can exercise, by all means, do. But don't stress yourself out over it. Remember that stress itself can cause weight gain.

Some tips:

Make sure you're getting plenty of sleep
Eat a good breakfast
Eat a small dinner
Try to go to bed on an almost empty stomach (or eat a light snack to assuage any nagging hunger pangs)
All carbohydrates should be complex (whole wheat bagels, bread, pasta, but check the ingredients ["whole wheat flour" should be listed first])
Make sure you're getting plenty of calcium
Make sure you're getting enough protein
You should have good fats in your diet (what you get from olive oil, avocados, and nuts)
Avoid refined sugars if you can
Avoid soft drinks, even diet drinks (or try to cut down if that's impossible)
Try to eat your vegetables when you can
Try drinking green tea for an added metabolism boost
And, of course, the old fashioned one: drink plenty of water.

Also, make sure you're eating enough. If you're feeling hungry, deprived, or isolated, you may need to rethink your calories. If this is something you feel you can do for the long haul, then stick with it. I think the weight will come off, but you'll hit these kinds of hiccups quite often. They're not a big deal, just very, very frustrating.

And congrats on the 11 lbs!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community