Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

how we lise fat.

Do we lose/burn fat only by doing cardio?
Or we can lose/burn fat by health dieting?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
You can lose fat, without losing weight by eating a healthy diet and exercising.  You need the strength training to build the muscles that will burn the fat.

But maybe, since you're under weight you don't really have fat to burn, you just need to tone your muscles?  If that's the case, exercise will be the key.  You might try yoga for that - works great.
Helpful - 0
To maintain your muscle (and not burn it off) you need to ingest 0.5 to 1 gram protein per pound lean body mass.  For a less active person, it is closer to 0.5,  for and an active person, it is closer to 1.  For example, if you are an active person, and your lean body mass is 150 pounds, then you should have about 150 grams protein each day to maintain your muscle.

Do not over eat protein either.  Those who go into ultra high protein diets sometimes run into the problem of gluconeogenesis, which is a process by which your body takes some of the protein and converts it to glucose.  

So, if you are an active person, target about 1 gram protein per pound of total lean body mass, and you will not waste your muscles away during fat loss.

Now, this brings me to the next subject....fat loss.  What I found as the most effective way to do this is via a ketogenic diet.  There is a great book called the Art and Science of Nutritional Ketosis, by Dr Phinney and Dr Volek.  There are a lot of free youtube videos by both doctors Phinney and Volek who describe how to lose fat, while protecting and building physical and athletic strength.  Really good stuff.  

So, through proper nutrition, you can lose the fat and maintain/build muscle.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
The problem is that i don't want to lose more weight as i am already under normal. I only want to lose fat and build muscle. Gow can i do it?
Helpful - 0
649848 tn?1534633700
COMMUNITY LEADER
You can lose fat by eating a healthy diet, but it works best if you exercise along with it.  You really need, both, cardio and strength training in order to lose weight. Strength training helps build muscle and muscle burns more fat.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community

Top Healthy Living Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
FL
Arlington, VA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
14 super-healthy foods that are worth the hype
Small changes make a big impact with these easy ways to cut hundreds of calories a day.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Tips and moves to ease backaches
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.