problems losing weight

Hey!!

My diet has been lacking so I gained five pounds. A week ago I decided to change back to a healthier lifestyle. I cut out sweets, drank a lot of water, started working out. Yet I contionusly gained weight. I downloaded my diet diary and bought a heart rate monitor to see how many calories I really burn during my workout. I stuck to the calories on the app and it was even healthy calories. Gained another 2 pounds since then. Idk what I'm doing wrong but my pants are too tight and I am freaking out.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
If you're gaining weight, in spite of a healthy diet and adequate exercise, you should talk to your doctor about getting some simple blood tests to determine whether or not you have hypothyroidism (under active thyroid).  The thyroid controls metabolism, body temperature, heart rate and other important body functions; if the thyroid isn't producing enough hormones, your body functions will slow down.  The tests you need are Free T3, Free T4 and TSH.  Some doctors will only want to test TSH, but don't accept that; it's not enough confirm/rule out hypothyroidism.
Helpful - 0
Here is the answer to this question.
In order to lose weight, you have to subtract calories.  Safe weight loss is 1-2 lbs/week, so in order to lose 1 lb/week, you'd have to drop 500 calories from your BMR each day (1 lb is equal to 3500 calories, so 500 calories X 7 days = 3500 calories or 1 lb).  OR you can drop 250 calories from your diet and increase exercise to use an additional 250 calories.

Changing up calorie counts and exercises will help prevent plateau.
Helpful - 0
Hey Michelle,

Ive lost 28kg before. And I workout everyday for an jour and now also Starter walking/running in the mornings
I already dont eat in Front of the TV. So i really dont know what to do or change
Helpful - 0
Hey Lisellen,

i faced the same problem a few months ago as well.
I've lost 15kg without any diet - how? Well actually i just starting for a walk each day...sometimes only 10-15 mins...but I did it every day. Then after a small while I felt a lot fitter and I have extended my walks into small runs...without stopwatch...actually i stopped when I felt..and continued walking...then after a couple more weeks I reduced the frequency a bit since I did not want to hurt myself by too much sports ;) but in the same time I changed a bit my eating habits....foremost I stopped eating and watching TV at the same time. I just sat there and had my dinner...just me myself and I. I found out that was eating less than before just by paying attention. In a nutshell I now eat way less, lost weight (slowly but steadily) and feel way better....without any diet. (Oh - I cut back alcohol as well...). My only recipe was Consumed Calories > Calory Intake...  Hope that gives you a bit of inspiration - cheers Michelle
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community