weight loss and dieting

what can i take anong with the b12 injection for rapid weight loss?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
COMMUNITY LEADER
I'm not sure I agree with the 1000-1200 calorie diet; that's not for everyone.  You have to calculate your BMR also, to make sure you are getting enough calories to keep your body going, since it takes a certain number of calories just to survive.  We are all different and the number of calories must be based on our individual needs.

I agree that focusing on protein is best, but you need to make sure you get plenty of vitamin B6 also to help break it down.  

Some people find that eating 5-6 times/day works best; I personally, find that I do better if I stick to 3 meals/day with 2 very small snacks.  If you get some protein each time you eat, you will stay fuller longer.  In addition, complex carbs (whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc) will also help keep you feeling fuller.  Good fats include olive oil, avocados, nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc) and some seeds.  

Totally agree with checking with your health care provider to make sure you don't have any underlying medical issues.  I, personally, have pernicious anemia and hypothyroidism.  

Loss of 1-2 lbs/week is recommended.  It takes longer, but is recognized as being safest.

I believe in making small changes and make them changes that you can live with - in other words - lifestyle changes that you can stick with from now on.  Changing your diet drastically may make you lose weight, but if it's not something you will stick with, most likely, you will gain back whatever you lose when you go off the "diet".
Helpful - 0
Losing weight has to take in many factors. What your BMI is, your age, and if you have any health conditions, (Diabetes, being pregnant, Etc). Once that is taken into consideration... then Barb135 is right on track with her suggestions. To Lose weight without being hungry it is really best to eat 5-6 times daily but not let your total calories go over 1000 to 1200.

If you only have a little to lose, 25-50 lbs, then 1200 calories is fine. Over 50 lbs you need to be a little more radical and move it down to 1000 per day. Remember, it takes a certain amount of calories to maintain your weight. Through calorie reduction, exercise and drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day you can reduce your weight quicker. Every 3600 calories burned or removed from your diet is a pound down.

Body burns carbs first. So when the body can't find any carbs you go into a pure fat burning mode. So, you want to keep your carbs at around 70 Calories a day. You need to eat two main meals with protein 5-7 ounces and 2 cups of salad and 1 cup veggies (non Starchy), the other 3-4 meals should be 1 fruit, jello or pudding, sugar free, fat free, and a meal replacement drink or shake. You must eat at least 2 tb of fat (Olive Oil is good, put it on your salad). That is a balance attack for weight loss. You should lose 2-4 per week or more with this kind of diet. There are ways to lose a lot more but thats another story.

Good Luck on your weight loss adventure.... You can do it!_

Always check with your primary health care provider before you start any diet of less than 1200 calories per day :0)
Helpful - 0
COMMUNITY LEADER
Both you and soggymoggy are right -- vitamin B12 as a weight loss method has no credible research -- in other words, vitamin B12 is not a weight loss aid.  On the other hand, vitamin B12 is essential for energy, which might prompt you to exercise more.........but there's also controversy on that issue also.  If your levels of B12 are in the normal range, it's not likely to make much difference.

I have pernicious anemia (vitamin B12 deficiency) and I have to take shots regularly to keep my levels up.  I can tell you most honestly that it has done absolutely nothing to help me lose weight...........therefore, my shots are therapeutic only........they give me energy to get through my days.

Yes, there are bad things that can happen to your body if you are deficient in B vitamins -- but that's all of the B vitamins and they must be balanced so they can all work together.

Helpful - 0
Not sure if soggymoggy is a medical doctor, but b12 does not have to mean "fast weight loss".  Dr. Summers has told me to avoid crash diets and has taught me to lose the right way.  The B12 shots do give me energy.  There are also many bad things that can happen to your body is you are deficient in B Vitamins.  
Helpful - 0
B12 injections as a weight-loss method are backed by no credible research, and in my opinion are just another way of making money from desperate, overweight people.

Rapid weight-loss in general is a bad idea, as usually all you will be losing is water and muscle.  In the long term, this means you will slow your metabolic rate and have more trouble keeping the weight off.

The best method for speedy but healthy FAT-loss (as distinct from just losing weight) is to eat LOADS of protein, lots of veggies and good fats, and no starchy or refined carbohydrates.  Combine this with daily exercise (weights or interval), and you will burn a lot of fat without damaging your muscles or metabolism - I lost a dress size in two weeks last time I did it, and it was all fat that came off.

For this regime, forget calories and forget your weight. Take your measurements before you start to monitor your progress.  You will need to eat a lot of protein every day - equivalent to four cans of tuna/five skinless chicken breasts/eight eggs every day, and possibly more if you're a large build. Make sure you eat lots of vegetables and you NEED good fats to metabolise the fat in your cells - so make sure you're having some with every meal.  Some good fats are olive oil, avocado, oily fish and raw nuts, but anything with a high unsaturated or polyunsaturated content is good.

The simplest way for me is to have four meals spaced evenly throughout the day, and to have one large handful of protein, two large handfuls of veg and a tablespoon of good fat at every meal.  The most effective time to exercise is first thing in the morning before you eat.

Best of luck!
Helpful - 0
I suggest taking an injection solution with lipotropics included, as well as B-vitamins.  I have been taking shots with both B Vitamins and lipotropics for several months with Dr. Summers (located in Birmingham, AL) and have had great success!  Give his office a call at 205-838-3740!!!!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss and Fitness Community