Women's Health: Postpartum Community

13 month old + cold

My daughter has had a cold for a week now. And it doesnt seem to be letting up at all. How long should you wait before going to the doctors? We have been giving her tylenol cold and just started giving her triaminic cold the other day. She has the cough but its the non-stop runny nose thats driving us crazy. Not even after 1 min of wiping it its back again. And then she rubs her face and gets it all over her hands. WHat should i do?
I would suggest you take her in now, just to rule out RSV (peak season runs from Oct -March).  It's a quick nose swab test.  When my daughter was 9 mo old, she had similar symptoms and I wish i hadn't waited so long.  She did have RSV and needed nebulizer treatments to help treat it.  Had I waited another day or so, we probably would have ended up in the hospital.

Don't mean to scare you, but RSV can be very serious in kids under 2.