4 year old fixing to have heart surgery

My 4 year old daughter is fixing to have open heart surgery in 2 weeks. She sorta understands what is going on. She is very upset that she will not be able to go to preschool. Does anyone have any suggestions that I can give to her teacher and her schoolmates to support her before and after her surgery?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i worked at a childrens hospital in dallas on a cardiology floor and we had a child life program they would talk to the kids and family members about these kinds of things you may want to talk to the hospital to find out if they have sim. program they have a bs in child psychology and prepare kids for procedures etc. hope this helps. god bless
Helpful - 0
God Bless your little girl--She'll be fine.  Her angel will be with ehr the whole surgery.  
Helpful - 0
Maybe the kids could make her cards to open while at the hospital.  Or you could make a scrapbook with pics from school for her to look at while in the hospital.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I was just going to say the card thing too!  When I was little, I was very sick with ashtma.  I was always in the hospital.  Occasionally, some of my teachers would ask the students to make me cards. It was fun for them and I really enjoyed them to.  One of my teachers even came to visit me while in the hospital.  I'll never forget it.
I'll pray for your baby.  I'm so sorry that your family is going through this. It must be so so tough. Stay strong.
Helpful - 0
I am praying for complete healing for your baby.
Helpful - 0
Good morning.

I will be praying for your daughter and your family during this difficult time.

I agree with the poster above that suggested seeing if the hospital has a program to work with the classmates.

I would like to mention, however, that as a parent with 2 kids who have been exposed to somewhat traumatic experiences of classmates -- I would like to recommend letting the classmates' parents know the situation so that they can address it with their own kids first.

These are wee ones who are all at different levels emotionally (physically, mentally, etc.) and it may be somewhat scarey for some of them.  While I am sure everyone will want to support your daughter, I think it is up to the parents to decide if they child is able to handle the situation.

Again, my thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your suggestions. And most of all thank you all for your love and support. God bless you.
Helpful - 0
Stay Strong! God is listening HE will show out for your in your family! Hang in there! Bless your daugther As a mother of a 7 year old I really think there is only so much you can say to a 4 year on their level, so it is hard to say My advice is say what comes naturally to you My friend just told me that you could tell her that "god loves her so much he wants to kiss her heart" Maybe that will help Take Care!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.