40 weeks pregnant...is labor near?

Hey ladies, I am currently 40 weeks pregnant as of today! My due date and still no baby :( I went to the doc last week. I was 2 cm dialated, 80% effaced, and the doctor stripped my membranes. 4 hours later I lost my mucous plug. I have been having strong but not consistent contractions for the last few days. This morning I woke up with a bloody brown discharge(no odor), and I have been having it in small amounts all day. Contractions are still pretty strong, but they aren't coming consistantly. Yesterday and today I have been having loose stools as well. The last hour I have been having lower back pain and gassy like cramping allll over. I called my doctor and she told me that when I am having contractions 5-7 minuets apart then go to the hospital! The problem is...I am not sure if these are contractions or not! Ahhhh, Any advice??? What was everyone elses labor symptoms?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I knew mine we contractions, because they got so bad, where when you are having one you have to stop doing everything you were doing, because it hurts so dang much and you can't really concentrate on anything else besides getting through the pain, that's when my husband knew it was time to go to the hospital, but I kept telling him that it's false labour.  This was happening every 5 minutes, I had to get down on all fours it hurt so bad.  Denial is also a big sign (along with all the contractions) that you're in labour, he knew it from a book for a pregnant daddy he read.
Helpful - 0
I had the same thing 41 weeks, and Dr. stripedded mine too.  Lost plug the next day.  That is labor.  I had my son after 24 hours of labor by c-section the next day.  Good Luck.
Helpful - 0
If you feel your tummy (near the top) when you are having the pains, and your tummy gets hard for a period of time (60-70 seconds), then they are contractions.  If it is your first baby, you call the doc or go in when they have been 5 min apart, lasting 60 secs, for at least an hour.

Sounds like you'll be going soon.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.