Women's Health: Postpartum Community

5 1/2 weeks pregnant and bleeding

Hi. I'm 24 and mother of a beautiful 4 1/2 year old daughter. I just got married to my husband last October. Last Thursday the 24th of January, I went to the doctor and found out that my husband and I are pregnant. They figured me to be about 5 weeks along. We were so excited. But on Sunday the 27th of January I started bleeding. I have had no cramps until today and they were very slight non painful cramps. More pressure than pain. The bleeding isn't like a normal period. It is lighter but still enough to have to wear a pantyliner. It goes back and forth from light pink to normal red. It sometimes has tiny tiny blood clots in it but nothing bigger than the tip of a pencil eraser( actually smaller than that). It worries me. Does this sound like a miscarriage? I have read that it is actually normal, but I am scared. We can't get me on my husbands insurance until February because we missed the 30 day period after we got married in October. We cant afford to go to the doctor without insurance. Does anyone have any advice or can anyone tell me whether or not this sounds like a miscarriage or something normal?
Hi there,
Can you attend the emergency room with out insurance? Sorry I live in Australia so not sure what you need. Over here we have Medicare (Governement) and do not need insurance. You do need to see to this if for nothing more than piece of mind. I wish I could help you...

Good luck and keep me posted.
To give you a little piece of mind... I was told by my obgyn that many women do experience light spotting throughout pregnancy and as long as you arent cramping as well its nothing to worrie about. It sounds like that may be all it is, when i miscarried i had sever cramps with the spotting.  

best wishes
I'm not sure if they have it in your area, but our local hospital/ER have a hotline you can call and ask questions too.  If they think there is something wrong they will tell you to come in, but if they think you're fine then you nothing to worry about.  I know what it's like to have no insurance, but the hospital can not turn you away.  You could go and just get a check up and have them bill you; just make payments till it's paid off.
My last m/c was like that, and you don't always get strong cramps.  I was told to get in to the ER if any clots started to show.

Hope everything is alright.
Hi sweetie.  I can completely understand your worry.  I began spotting at about 5 1/2 weeks and have spotted off and on thru my entire pregnancy and I'm 14w.  It is nervewracking!!  Mine is only light pink and usually only when I wipe.  Every so often I'll see like a small blood clot in w/ the pink but definitely no actual red blood.  It worries me sick since I had just had 2 back to back m/c's.  I also don't have any maternity coverage but saw my dr anyway and they gave me a 30% discount b/c I was considered a "cash" client.  I wish you the best....call your dr.....and keep us posted.  And remember: about 25% of women have some sort of bleeding in early pregnancy so try to be positive.
Well I went to the doctor today and got an ultrasound. It turns out that I had a complete miscarriage.
Gosh, I'm so sorry!  Hopefully you will heal quickly (mind and body) and will be able to try again.  I know how hard having a miscarriage is...I'm truly sorry.
Hi Honey, I'm terrible sorry for your loss. I can relate & know just what you are feeling.I have a beautiful 6 year old daughter (what a blessing she it), but I also had a miscarriage at 15 weeks back in 2004 and did not have insurance at the time. I applied for assistance and they paid for all of my medical bills from hospital visit.Now I am currently expecting at about 6wks along and starting to notice only when I wipe, there is a light pinkish discharge/blood. I am so nervous, but just have to leave it in God's hand's and hope for the best. Take care of yourself & only time will heal. Good luck!!!!
i bleed from when i was 3 weeks preg with my daughter till i had her 9 months later. As the preg went on i would bleed less the DR said because the baby is getting bigger. You can go and apply for emergency medicare or emergency medicade so that you can go to the DR now and you do not have to wait. And when you can be put on your husbands ins then just come off it. This way you can see what is going on and you can have piece of mind. Good luck
i am going thru it also.i am 5 weeks and i have spotting as well.i went to the er and they say mt levels are low but everyone else says thee fine i last tested 600 and that was saturday. i have to go see my gyn today and see what he thinks. i have has a m/c so i know how you feel.i will keep you in my prayer. i have 2 healthy kids and thy came after my firstm/c so there is always hope for you,i am keeping my faith as high as i can and cofessing life over this pregnancy but it is hard at times.i wish the spotting would stop.i have nocramping just kight brown spotting when i wipe.everyone says 600 is low for 5 weeks but other say it is normal. can anyone help me?
IM 14 YEARS OLD ME AND MY BOYFRIEND OF 3 YEARS DECIDED TO HAVE UNPROTECTED 5 TIMES  AND MY BREASTS HURT SOMTIMES I FEEL DIZZY  I BELIEVE IM  2 WEEKS PREGNANT  JUST TODAY I WOKE UP WITH BLOOD STAINS  BUT THEY  WERE LIGHT AND THEN IT WAS DARK THEN LIGHT ..........IS THAT NORMAL I PRAY TO GOD THIS IS JUST NORMAL AND EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE FINE WE ARE REALLY INLOVE AND CURRENTLY LIVING TOGETHER WE REALLY WANT THIS I KNOW WE'RE YOUNG BUT ALOT OF MY FAMILY AND HIS SUPPORT US .....HELP ME OUT IM SO SCARED...