Women's Health: Postpartum Community

5 week 6 days ultrasound and only a gestational sac?

Please help.  I am 99% sure I was 5 weeks 6 days pregnant when they sent me for an ultrasound.  I have a history of miscarriages so they wanted to get an early look.  My hcg levels more than doubled twice, then continued to rise but have not been doubling.  The day of the ultrasound they were 12,200.  Doctor said they should have been able to see a yolk sac, something other than just the gestational sac.  Have to go back in a week for another ultrasound.  He said it may be okay, but he didn't sound convincing.  The lady who did the ultrsound said the gestational sac looked really good.  I am not having any problems (bleeding cramping) right now.  I don't have many pregnancy symptoms, but I never do even with my 2 live children.  Does anyone think there is still a chance this will be a viable pregnancy?  A week is so long to wait.
Thanks for your help
A week is a long time to wait, but unfortunately, waiting is the best course right now.

It sounds like your doctor is being very prudent, and not rushing to make any irrevocable decisions right now.  There have been women here who describe similar situations to yours.

Good luck, and let us know what happens, ok?  
dont  worry please stay on this site. i had a m/c and came to this site and been on here forever. its an awesome place to vent
I can tell you my story, which sounds exactly like yours! I went in for an ultrasound at 5 weeks 6 days, just like you. I was also told there was ONLY a sac. NOTHING else.No fetal pole, no yolk sac, and no baby with any heartbeat.
I was devastated...because the radiologist told me I was most likely not going to carry this pregnancy to term...that it was probably a blighted ovum.

BUT...at 8 weeks, I went back...and this time everything was there! Including baby with a great heartbeat.
SO dont give up yet! There are just too many variables in early pregnancy. I swore up and down I would never get another early ultrasound like that again. I have heard way too many stories JUST like this one.
If your numbers are pretty good, there is a good chance things are just fine.
I have a perfect, darling 2 year old resulting from this pregnancy that was supposedly bad :) Best of luck to you and let us know how it turns out!
I am going through the same exact thing. I went in for an ultrasound on Monday because i have been bleeding a little after my first pelvic and the tech only saw a gestational sac. I am supposed to be 7 weeks pregnant, but she said the sac was measuring 3-4 weeks. The doctor told me that I might have a blighted ovum. She checked my cervix and it was closed so she called it a threatened miscarriage. I am so confused about what that means because some women are diagnosed with that and go on to have normal pregnancies. I had some HCG levels checked and i have to go back on tomorrow so we are praying everything turns out good.
Sorry it took so long to get back.  It has been a hard go.  We did see a heartbeat last week and were thrilled.  However I started spotting over the weekend and went in today to find no heartbeat.  I am scheduled for a D&C on Friday.  I am destroyed.  This is my 3rd loss.  I have a 5 year old, then had 2 losses, now have a 20 month old and this newest loss.  I am 37 years old  and have no idea why I am having these losses.  I am just sooo sad.  Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.