Women's Health: Postpartum Community

6 MONTH OLD DD WITH POSSIBLE RSV...NEED ADVICE!

So I took my DD to the docotr yesterday due to severe chest congestion, she also has a very runny nose and a fever. Well he did a nose swab on her because he thinks she might have RSV. HAs anybody out there experienced with any of thier children or know of somebody who has. I am still waiting for the docotr to call with the results but she seems to be getting worse. I looked some onfo on the internet but you guys on here are so informative so I thought I would ask. Thanks for you rhelp in advance!
Tiffany
Your best bet is to get a vaporizer going and call the doctors office and just tell them you are very worried and what can you due in the meantime while waiting for the results.
good luck.
My cousins DD had it last winter. She is fine now & got over it quickly. Ido know that she should not be around any other children or any PG women. also avoid anyone who smokes. Sometimes they will give meds to help clear it up depending on how bad it is. Lots of babies get ear infections & upper respitory infections as a result of RSV.
mine had it as a newborn. doc will probably prescribe a nebulizer with albuterol.
Keep her away from ANYBODY who smokes!! That makes it worse for her. I hope your precious baby is feeling better soon!
My nephew had it when he was 7 months old.  They pretty much treated it like asthma.  He had a nebulizer that he used daily and they had to keep a voporizer in his room.  It cleared up eventually...now he's eer so slightly asthmatic...but that runs in the family.  I'm not sure if it's related.  I would say that a voporizer is a good idea for now and definately keep him away from smokers.  Also, if there is no vaporizer available, i know someone who steams up the shower, closes the bathroom door and sits in the steam for awhile to help clear things up.
The good news is that they didn't send you to the ER.  With RSV if the oxygen level gets too low you can end up there.  My son had RSV when he was 4 months old, also had pnuemonia at 11 weeks and RSV again around 5 1/2 months.  It was rough, but he had inhaled  fluid at birth and has had problems with his breathing.  When he had RSV they called me that day with the results though, so if they aren't in a big rush that's probably a good sign, or they are really backed up.  All you can really do for it is nebulize them and watch out to make sure that they are breathing okay.  It's sounds worse than it really is, I know it can really hurt small babies, especially preemies, but a 6 month old is tougher than you think.  Hopefully your little one doesn't have it and is just congested, but either way, hope she feels better and clears up soon.
I would call the Dr's office and tell them she is getting worse and ask what they recommend.  I've known a few children with RSV and they have always been hospitalized. Hope she gets better soon.
sorry about our DD! i am a RN...so maybe i can help?!?!? RSV is a viral illness that affects many infants :( since it is viral, abx don't work. the illness is treated symptomatically with tylenol for fever, vaporizer to aid in easy breathing, nebulizer if RSV is mod/severe, oxygen if it is  severe! be sure wash your hands frequently, wash clothing/bedding, clean her toys, etc...to minimize spreading the virus! anymore questions...let me know :) dawn
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/rsvfeat.htm
thank you to all of you who answered my question. The results are in and the test was negative, I am so releived. I do have a portable breathing machin that we use when ur kids get Croupe (SP?) so I have been using it. There is a vaporizer in the bedroom and she isn't around smokers. My parents smoke but when we visit they don't smoke around her and neither me or my DH smoke. So I told them she is getting worse so they are calling her in a prescription. She is so very tired and sahe keeps coughing up mucous. Anyway just thought I would update everybody. She is taking a nap so I think I will join her before my other kids get home from school.
Tiffany
Good to hear.  I hope she clears up soon and feels better, how stressful for you.
try village naturals (brand) cold & sinus therapeutic formula, liquid mineral bath. we bought this at wal-mart in the section w/bath salts and aromatherapy stuff. i did not use while pg but when ds was 2months old he was having major congestion. dh and i tried everything dr prescribed and then we were told there was a liquid vapo rub for babies. so we went looking and didn't find it but we found this and it worked wonders. now when any of us get congested or start to come down w/something we use it. you use as warm water as possible and pour liquid in and take a bath as usual. i prefer showers so what i do is plug the water and pour some in the tub so it steams while i shower. the cost is about 5.00. the 16 oz. bottle is clear and has a tan label w/black letters, the liquid is brown. this stuff is great. this stuff is great!

*****i had just posted this on another post but we originally started this w/my son and it works great. we tell everyone about it and they are equally impressed. before we found this my son had been very sick and on meds for 3wks w/o getting better, he was actually getting worse. i think his little body was getting tired. we used this for 3 or 4 days and he was so much better. we just gave him a bath in it depending on his congestion. please try it. hope it works for your little one.