Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

6 Week Sonogram

Hi everyone!  Does anyone know if you should definitely hear a heartbeat at 6 weeks?  My husband and I go next friday for our first visit and we are so scared and excited.  I will be so relieved after this is over and the Dr says everything is ok!  Also, does anyone know if caffiene is really bad to have during pregnancy?  I just ate a snickers and started worrying about it!
Thanks!!
-Blain
6 Responses
Blain,

Congratulations!!!  Don't worry yourself to death, I am sure your sonogram will go great.  I don't know if they can see a heartbeat at 6 weeks or not.  We couldn't see one at 4 weeks, with my 1-yr-old, but he was fine.

Don't worry about the Snickers!  If chocolate were bad for the baby, I don't think there would be nearly as many babies in the world as there are!  I actually think chocolate is one of the five food groups.  Meat, vegetables, grains, fruits, and CHOCOLATE!  :)  I think a Coke is worse than a Snickers.  It is probably good not to overindulge in any form of caffeine though.  I hope this helps!
hi, i did see a heartbeat the tech actually had to point it out but i dont think you will hear it for several more weeks, i never did till about 13 to 16 weeks with my son and daughter. but dont worry if oyu dont , you are still very early, with the last sonogram it was a pelvic, i dont know if that makes a difference
lisa
Well, it's too early to HEAR a heartbeat, but you might SEE one. :)  6 weeks may be a bit early even for that though, so don't panic if one isn't seen.  Also, caffeine is approved for pregnant women up to 300 mgs a day (3 cups of coffee) so you certainly didn't over do with your Snicker's bar.

Enjoy!
Hello
By my calculations I was 6 weeks and a few days when we saw the heartbeat. How far along are you now and did you see a heartbeat?
Some people don't always see it that early. So even if I hadn't  seen it I would of given the little guy more time to grow.
Good Luck:)
Oops. You said you weren't going til friday. Let us know what the dr says.
Good luck, again:)
I was 6 wks, 4 days the day I had my ultrasound. I could see the heartbeat and I was also able to hear it!!  It was awesome!!  Good luck... let us know what you find out!!
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.