Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
223520 tn?1221440283

6 month checkup was today, and I am so upset! Need advice.

My son is almost 8 months, and today was his 6 month checkup. ( He was sick, then in the hospital so we had to delay everything.) Anyways, everything  went great, then came time for the vaccines. I was talking to his pedi. about the MMR, and he got all defensive. So that was the first thing that got me upset.  Then the nurse comes in and gets ready to give my son the rotavirus vaccine. I was like he has never had it. She proceeds to give it to him!! I was like um, can you ask the dr. about it? She was like fine. So he comes in and was like Im soo sorry!! I was like OMG! WHAT?! He was like we should have never given him the rotavirus vaccine, since he has never had it. He was like I assumed he had it before. I am freaking out!!!!!!!! He said it wont hurt him, but Im still worried. I read on the internet it says not to start the series later then 12 weeks. =(What do you all think??
6 Responses
146191 tn?1236877812
i'm sorry. i really don't know what the consequences are of being given the shot later 12 weeks, but, i just wanted to say that the pedi should be more careful in how they administer vaccinations. for example, my dr. will go over with me which shots my son gets on that day and then the nurse comes in and i have to sign on his chart next to EACH vaccine he is being given that day. if i don't sign, he doesn't get it.
What I've done with DD (some may call me paranoid, but sh*t happens), I review what vaccines they should be getting at that stage in life and then ask the dr/nurse, whoever's administering it, "what's this vaccine?" and if it's not on the list, I question, question, question them.  I don't care if they think of me as a "ugh, it's THAT mother again".  My child's health is of the outmost importance to me.  I'd be frustrated with what they did also.  I'm sorry I can't answer your question.  I hope others can chime in and answer it for you.
oh, sorry, i wasn't clear before.  I meant, I review what vaccines they should be getting at home BEFORE the appt.
165078 tn?1255606407
wow, I know how it feels to be behind in shots - my dd was also in the hospital so she was delayed.  I researched all of the shots and you are right they do get defensive.  I asked to delay one even longer since a side effect - although rare - was seizure and my dd was having them.  he agreed and when my dd was cleared by neurology I went on to get that shot.  I think it was the DTap but not certain.  MMR should not be given until 12 months?  I am pretty sure of that but not certain.
223520 tn?1221440283
Thanks. Yes MMR is not given until 12 months, I was just asking him about it.
165078 tn?1255606407
Oh I am sorry I mis-read - rotavirus is 2 months, 4 months and 6 months so I am not sure ewhat would happen at this point.  Sorry, I am sure he will be fine but it is scary.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.