All kinds of sickness going around!

I just got over my second severe cold in a row, this past week.

My fiancee's 5 year old had a cold at the same time.  

The 7 year old had strep-throat last week, and a cold a few weeks before that.  Now, she woke up with a 102 degree temp.  She has been on liquid antibiotics for over a week for her strep-throat.  Her little brother, step-sister, and her step-dad all caught strep-throat.

We did not have strep-throat in our household, but of course we are being blamed for exposing them.  We hardly EVER go anywhere with them.  The majority of the time we stay home. They take Dance, Ballett, they both go to different schools, they go to church every Sunday, and they often go out to visit their little friends over night.  So there are TONS of places they could "catch" things.

Anway, how is everyone doing?  Are there any other families with the sicknesses that are being passed back, and forth?  

What is going on?  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
everything's going around. i have a high fever (probably viral) and that's going around my school. a stomach virus is also going around. this all in addition to the typical colds, ear infections, etc... that are constantly present. it's not your fault, there's nothing you can do other than keep them home when they are sick. if all parents did that then maybe there'd be less stuff going around. of course there'd still be some bugs, but it drives me crazy when parents dope up their kids and send them to school.
Helpful - 0
I just got over strep throat!!!!!!!  I dont know WHERE I got it!  I just hope the kiddos dont get it!!
Helpful - 0
She sent the kids to school today knowing that her daughter did not feel good.  Then had to go and pick her up.  So, I am sure she exposed some of her friends to her sickness, even though that is where she probably picked it up from.

I am worried about getting sick at nearly 7 months pregnant with strep-throat.  I have never had it before.  Does that mean that I can't ever get it?  I know that is a stupid question.  I used to try to roll around in poison oak or ivy to get out of going to school when I was younger, and could NEVER get it.  All of my brothers and sisters caught it but I never did.
Helpful - 0
Unfortunately, that is not how strep throat works....it's a bacterial infection.  Apparently it's not too worrisome to dr to have it during pregnancy as long as it's treated (of course).  They just gave me antibiotic and said to rest.......ugh
Helpful - 0
Good luck with that!

My fiance's 5 year old did not get it when it made it's rounds at her moms house,  but the other kids suffered with it.

I thought for sure that the prenatal vitamins would help with fighting these bugs off.  I was sadly mistaken!
Helpful - 0
My daughter's school had a few cases in her class of strep, she didn't get it but my 4 years old was sick for a week with fevers of 104. Now today my 1 year old is coughing and feverish. We had the 4 year old tested the nurse thought for sure it was strep said something about strep breath, negative. My daughter will be 5 weeks tomorrow so hope this is the end of the line and doesn't continue to get passed around.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
i've never had strep before either. since it's an infection caused by a common bacteria, when strep went around i would always get it as a sinus infection, as that is where i am most susceptible to illness.
Helpful - 0
Ack, have not had a break since we rang in the new year, seriously.  Cameron had pneumonia and just got over it after the holidays.  We rang in the new year next door with friends and Cam was so happy and excited.  Had to calm him down to get some sleep, both boys were awake for the ball drop.  About 2 AM Cam began throwing up and was at 103+.  Of course nothings open on New Years Day but the ER and we didn't want to go there if we could avoid it.  Had a rough night and went in to find ear infection, tonsilitis and pharyngitis.  After the meds he was still miserable and up most of the nights screaming, got a respitory infection, RSV, then another ear infection while on meds.  He just got off Sunday and we are still not sleeping much, he has had a nasty cold and sounds really bad in his chest.  Have been nebbing my 4 yr old for the cold he got from Cam (he got to see the Dr. too) and then nebbing the little guy trying to keep him from getting worse.  In the midst my husband and I have been so worn down we have been passing that nasty cold back and forth too.  Can't wait for the summer, a little scared if this is how my year starts...hope everyone else has a better time!
Helpful - 0
Ashtyn has a horrible cold and started throwing up this morning! When his dad got home from work. he started throwing up too so I sent him to his mom's to stay so hopefully I can avoid getting it....because it seems to be VERY contagous! I hate nothing more than having the stomach flu!!!!
Helpful - 0
This is an old post, but I figured I would still reply. Check out http://www.germtrax.com - it has a health map that shows real-time sickness reports from all over the world
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.